PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Kancolle

Byuusan
08-07-2014, 09:07 PM
I was planning to stream op AL/MI but i realize i dunno if there would be issues if went ahead with it like getting the account banned or my Twitch channel banned.

Has there been a case of such a thing or a twitter msg/etc. that address to this?

EpicNoobzorz
08-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Me and my friends streamed Kantai a few times during the last event. There hasn't been any issues with our DMM/Twitch accounts being banned. As far as I know, streaming Kantai is perfectly okay to do.

iDuane
08-07-2014, 09:18 PM
I know saya streamed it and her twitch is still fine. Twitch is getting ruined by Google though.

Captain Kiso
08-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Byuusan I have been streaming during the last event and I haven't encountered any problems with that. There are quite a number of people who stream kancolle every now and then too.

5HITCOMBO
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Many people on both Twitch.tv and Niconico have/do stream Kancolle, you're fine.

iDuane
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Byuusan I have been streaming during the last event and I haven't encountered any problems with that. There are quite a number of people who stream kancolle every now and then too.
I've never actually watched people stream kancolle ROFL.
I've watched vods but never really live, except that one time Saya streamed E5

nwrtz
08-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Moved this to KC Discussion, the Help & Support sub forum is only for gameplay related discussion.

Captain Kiso
08-07-2014, 09:24 PM
iDuane I do watch KC stream for thing like 2-5, 5-3 or 5-5 runs, cuz I enjoy watching people suffer... :yahagi_grin:

iDuane
08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
iDuane I do watch KC stream for thing like 2-5, 5-3 or 5-5 runs, cuz I enjoy watching people suffer... :yahagi_grin:

I watched some guy's video on reddit.com/r/kancolle about him trying to clear 5-5. He brought in a destroyer and some other low level ships.
<mfw I saw that
http://i.imgur.com/kp8te.gif

Byuusan
08-07-2014, 09:37 PM
^ lol that sounds like something i would watch.

Sounds like im good to go for streaming than.

Apokita
08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd like to do it also. Well, I'd like to record a Video about me failing at the last map. xD

PixelSupreme
08-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Well techincaly games are copyright protected material and redistributing them publicaly over the internet is an infringement.

The thing with copyright is that it is completley up to the rights holder to decide if something is to be done. Most game publishers decide not to do anything. But they may change their minds anytime.

It gets problematic as soon as you are twitch partner or have any other monetary gains from your stream. Earning money on a stream without some agreement with the rights holder can get you in trouble.

That being said: There is a big difference between what can happen and what actualy does happen.

iDuane
08-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Well techincaly games are copyright protected material and redistributing them publicaly over the internet is an infringement.

The thing with copyright is that it is completley up to the rights holder to decide if something is to be done. Most game publishers decide not to do anything. But they may change their minds anytime.

It gets problematic as soon as you are twitch partner or have any other monetary gains from your stream. Earning money on a stream without some agreement with the rights holder can get you in trouble.

That being said: There is a big difference between what can happen and what actualy does happen.

There are a lot of people who stream LoL without a Riot partnership and still pull ad money and subscriber money. Honestly, most companies encourage it since it's essentially free publicity. I've never heard of someone getting screwed on twitch for streaming a game without the company consent.

PixelSupreme
08-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying that this happens all the time. But the publishers do have the law on their side.

iDuane
08-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Most don't care or act like they don't care. I wouldn't worry about it.

panda
08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
PixelSupreme

Considering the vast quantity of doujin and nico videos however, in the case of Kancolle, it's probably fine. Most Japanese companies are pretty friendly with fan work to the point where people can rip off character designs and sell them in fan made doujin at Comiket.

That being said, I'm not a lawyer, so this should be taken with a grain of salt, but I believe that derivative commentaries such as game reviews and the like that use some of those assets are technically protected by copyright law, although Youtube and so on have bee known to have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to things getting reported. Anyway, for more reading on fair use stuff, which is kinda complicated to a panda such as myself, there's sites like this: https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/what-are-derivative-works-under-copyright-law

And here's the US copyright office on fair use:
U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html)

In short though, since you're really not hurting Kadokawa, they really don't have any reason to care.

Saya
08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm not saying that this happens all the time. But the publishers do have the law on their side.

The law always involves first firing a C&D notice. No lawsuits are claimed.