PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

tarot
09-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Greetings, fellow admirals. Was interested in this game for a while now and just started playing a few days ago. Anyway, I've reach quite a roadblock in my conquest. Initially I was using mainly destroyers and spammed the basic recipe to get more. This is because I thought I could switch them around frequently to fully make use of down times(fatigue,repairs). However they were not quite cutting it anymore and I needed more firepower so I tried to get some rare destroyers and subs with the 250/30/200/30 recipe and its variants. I didn't get any but I did get my first heavy cruiser, Nachi (love her to bits). I kept trying but I just ended up with an assortment of light and heavy cruisers, mostly duplicates. That was fine I thought, they have substantial health and damage compared to the destroyers. They managed to carry me through to 1-3 safely, and at this point I was still leveling a number of ships at the same time. Then 1-4's boss node hit. My heavies were missing most of their shots and the lights were getting 1-shot into red health. Even Nachi, my best ship who has never been in the red, got heavily damaged. Barely won the fight with only a C rank. After that I went and tried out 2-1, forgot which node but I lost miserably. I'm aware one of the reasons is because the enemies have carriers, and I lack any form of AA at this point. Doesn't help that my ships keep missing or doing one digit damage. I poked around and noticed that no one really has problem with map clearing prior to world 3 and realized I must be doing something really wrong here.

tl;dr: What to do with my ships at this point? Here are what I have at the moment.

Seaplane tender:
Chiyoda - 1

Heavy cruisers:
Mogami - 8
Nachi - 11
Ashigara - 9
Takao - 8
Maya - 5
Choukai - 1

Light cruisers:
Tenryuu - 7
Tatsuta - 6
Kuma - 1
Tama - 9
Sendai - 3
Jintsuu - 6
Naka - 4

Destroyers:
Shirayuki - 5
Miyuki - 5
Isonami - 8
Hibiki - 1
Nagatsuki - 1
Mikazuki - 7
Oboro - 4
Sazanami - 8
Ushio - 5
Hibiki - 5
Inazuma - 1
Nenohi - 1
Wakaba - 7
Hatsushimo - 3
Shiratsuyu - 8
Murasame - 2
Yuudachi - 8
Suzukaze - 1
Arashio - 1
Arare - 2
Kasumi - 1
Kagerou - 1

Who should I focus on for now? I want to level some of them for the Kai versions but the exp gain is so low that my HQ level is going up faster than I'd like it to (at 10 now). I fought someone in PVP who is level 4, but he has maybe 2-3 Kai destroyers. No idea how he does that. As it stands now, it breaks both my heart and resources to see my ships getting in the red every time. Resupply is also super costly with the heavies on the fleet. Sorry girls. ;_;

I'd appreciate any help on what I can do now to make things even a bit easier in leveling and such. I can't really clear far enough to get access to better drops and my crafting luck is just abysmall (got 5 Jinstuu in a row). Also, what do people usually do with their dupes? Remove the equipment and scrap? I doubt trying 1-5 would be productive at this point, seeing how I have trouble even at 1-4. Thanks for your time and in advance for any advice!

PS: I'm still learning the terms so sorry if some things are off such as the ship types.

Argho
09-10-2014, 02:50 PM
It's good to have couple of light ships (DD, CL, CVL) on reasonable level but you should focus on heavy ships like BB, CA and CV. Focus on a handful of them and level them up to avoid spreading experience to thin and having bunch of low level and weak ships. Participate in PvP as much as you can, it's a great place to raise your ships without pushing your HQ level too high.

First few things I think you should do:
1. Don't level up duplicates, use them for modernization.
2. Check on wiki what ships you will need for certain quests and keep them.
3. From DD focus on Yuudachi and Hibiki. From CL on Sendai, keep Tenryuu and Tatsuta for expeditions, from CA Mogami, Nachi and whichever you like the most.
4. Try making some BB with 400/30/600/30 recipe.
5. Check wiki to see what ships are best in their class and have good equipment upon remodelling.
6. Check guides available on this forum, like this one: http://kancolle.himeuta.net/forums/f6-kancolle-guides/97-guide-newbie-guide.html or this: http://kancolle.himeuta.net/forums/f6-kancolle-guides-tools/767-guide-load-equipment-kanmusus-perform.html

Axelyte
09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
First of all, I'd highly recommend crafting for a BB ( Battleship). Despite their fuel/ammo costs, they really make clearing world 2 (and other worlds) much easier.

If you really want to level your DDs/CLs, I'd recommend using this method: http://kancolle.himeuta.net/forums/f6-kancolle-guides/754-guide-sortie-farming-powerlevelling.html?754-Guide-Sortie-Farming-Powerlevelling=#1-5 , however you might want a BB for this (for second shelling phase)

I would write more, but I'm really tired right now. Please excuse the briefness of my post.

EDIT:

You'll probably want to aim to get a CVL to complete the quests for Akagi, since you'll want CV(L)s starting from world 2 onwards (you'll 100% need them sooner or later)

Zylphe
09-10-2014, 02:54 PM
How much resources do you have now? Relying on ship AA will almost never work; fight planes with planes. You can try to craft a Carrier or Light Carrier, or grind up Chiyoda to 15 which turns her into a Light Carrier, but she'll be fairly inferior with only 3 slots until you level her to 35 and Kai her. You get an Akagi from clearing a quest when you get a carrier, too. A Battleship will be a massive help, too.

As for 1-5, on the contrary, it's good for powerleveling Destroyers and Light Crusiers because there is literally nothing but Submarines on the first 3 nodes, but even if you don't try for the boss node it will still increase HQ level a little faster than normal.

Also, this glossary (http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary#Class_classification) will help because ain't nobody got time to fully type out ship classes

Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
09-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Follow what the others before me said.

And I have to mention:

you need to have some form of CV or CVL in your fleet at this moment.

Anomalyzer
09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
you waste too much resources crafting those DD/CL. Try to create BB instead, much more powerful in clearing early maps.
There's no need to target rare ships early, your goal right now is having some good level ships to clear maps. As you advancing the maps will give better drops too anyway.

AkiyamaMio
09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
The most important thing IMO: GET Akagi. She's one of the better standard aircraft carriers and easily obtainable in the early game by completing a quest.

Quests - Kancolle Wiki (http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Quests)

She can be acquired by completing the quest B10. Once you get her, she'll have Type 97 torpedo bombers (blue) in her largest 3rd slot. Swap it with the Type 21 fighter (green), if you don't have anything better. This will help you fight back the enemy carriers.

And as a side note, assuming you don't have any CAs remodeled yet, give them the following equipments: 2 Main Guns and the Reconnaissance Seaplane. You'll see them starting double attacks in the daytime under air superiority.

Nozomi
09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Who should I focus on for now? I want to level some of them for the Kai versions but the exp gain is so low that my HQ level is going up faster than I'd like it to (at 10 now). I fought someone in PVP who is level 4, but he has maybe 2-3 Kai destroyers. No idea how he does that. As it stands now, it breaks both my heart and resources to see my ships getting in the red every time. Resupply is also super costly with the heavies on the fleet. Sorry girls. ;_;

I'd appreciate any help on what I can do now to make things even a bit easier in leveling and such. I can't really clear far enough to get access to better drops and my crafting luck is just abysmall (got 5 Jinstuu in a row). Also, what do people usually do with their dupes? Remove the equipment and scrap? I doubt trying 1-5 would be productive at this point, seeing how I have trouble even at 1-4. Thanks for your time and in advance for any advice!

PS: I'm still learning the terms so sorry if some things are off such as the ship types.

As for the one with Kai DDs @lvl 4: He's only doing PvP, no real map clearing/farming. Your HQ level will rise pretty fast on the first few levels, just because the needed xp for a lvl-up is so low. No need to think about that. Your HQ level will stay on a reasonable value unless you powerfarm 1-5 for subs.
Your girls will get hit to red in the beginning pretty often, just because they have no armour. You'll need to modernize them with all those unneeded drops you'll get while farming the maps for xp for your girls. So in the end you'll have just to live with it, that they'll be more in the bath than on the battlefield at the start. At least your repair times are low.

Leveling Mogami is a very good Idea in the start, since she get's her Kai at lvl10, and becomes a CAV, which means you can equip seaplane bombers on her, which will help with subs. Kai means also that she'll have 4 equipment slots.

Don't bother with equipment crafting on your level, you won't get the good stuff yet. As for ship crafting: You should only craft max 4 per day, since you can use the dailies to lessen the ressource costs. For the two equipment craft dailies you need to do to get the other ones just use 10/10/10/11

As for which girls to keep:
You can look on the wiki, which girls have the best values for their class, or which have special equipment, which would be nice to get, but always go with the motto: Keep those you like the most.

Kalinsre
09-10-2014, 03:27 PM
As other suggested, for general guidelines please refer to the guides. They have a lot of answers for beginner answers.

Before things get messy, just a reminder that this section is meant for specific questions. It is fine to ask general advice but please don't treat the treads as personal Q&A sessions back and forth. If it turns out like that it will be closed. Again, it is a worthwhile investment to read the many guides available here because it really pays off in the long run. They cover a lot of optimizations for your choices in game and teach you about the mechanisms.

Thank you for your understanding.

Nobody
09-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Also, this glossary (http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary#Class_classification) will help because ain't nobody got time to fully type out ship classes

No I do not have the time to fully type out the ship classes...

But yea, follow what the others say.
DDs raise Yuudachi and Hibiki. KEEP THAT SHIRATSUYU! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW RARE SHE IS! REALLY! (Ex: I first got her at hq lvl 80ish right after the summer event ended. She is one of the most likely DDs most will 'collect' last, excluding event onlys, cause of RNG toying with 'em.)
CLs raise your pick of Sendai, Naka, and/or Jintsuu. Most pick Sendai because her second remodel comes with all current NB equips that you can only obtain by remodelling your ships.
CAs take your pick. You could get Mogami to 10 to Kai her and maybe use seaplane bombers while you are waiting on a carrier.
Train your Chiyoda later as she becomes much more relevant later on as she becomes a really nice CVL.

I don't think I had BBs until i did 2-3 and had 2 when I did 2-4 for the first time (and cleared it) and for Akagi.. I think she sat at lvl 1 for a while until I hit 3-1.

tarot
09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Thank you so much everyone, really helped a lot. I guess for now I'll take it slow and just save up resources to try for a BB. Currently only have about 1k of each, with Bauxite at 1.7k. Gonna grind that 1-2 for now..

Sorry didn't mean for it to be a personal blog or something like that, was really at a lost what to do. I've read most of the relevant stickies but I guess I missed some important points that might've helped. Thanks again for the help!

AkiyamaMio
09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
By the way, about BBs... A lot of people seem to think getting a BB early is imperative, but it's actually not. I'm pretty sure that those who recommend getting a BB ASAP did get one early themselves, but... take everything with a grain of salt.

Securing BBs early is by all means helpful in sorties, but at the same time overreliance on BBs can give you a bad habit of neglecting other ship types, and it'll be hard on your resources. You'll eventually hit 2-4, but you're by no means forced to use BBs there. Some decently leveled and modernized cruisers with sufficient air support (Akagi with maybe one CVL) can certainly do it. If you decide to operate BBs, talk to your resources - how many sorties do I want to do on any given day, how much resources can I reasonably expect to regain to resupply/repair them, and do I have the third fleet unlocked. If most of your gameplay comes down to waiting for resources for another BB recipe, then it's probably not the most enjoyable experience.

Pretty much every ship in the game is worth leveling, and as you figure out the game, you'll learn to deploy whom to where. Everyone will give the stock answer "Yuudachi, Shigure, Hibiki, Ayanami" as the choice DDs, but you will need more high-level DDs eventually (guys - do you want to tie up your Kai Nis to Tokyo Express? Really?...) and most of the powergrinding will be done after unlocking 3-2/4-3 anyways - even if you decide to focus on random common DDs for now, it doesn't mean you're wasting time.

The game's pretty linear, you can't go "wrong" in the long run, so just relax and keep doing what you're doing.

Argho
09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Right, that's important too. Try to use as light fleet as possible. In most cases it's good to have at least one BB for second shelling phase and CV/CVL with Saiun equipped to avoid disadvantageous T-crossing and some bomber to pre-emptively take out some enemies. But other 4 slots should be lighter ships to save resources (there's no point in going for overkill). Usually CA are enough, especially in NB. CL and DD are a pain to level up, so it's good to sneak them in the fleet whenever you can to avoid grinding later.

Sadly, I'm not really following that rule in PvP since most of my opponents use very heavy fleets and I need to rely on BB for victory. Luckily, fog enemies use more balanced fleets...

tarot
09-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Right, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I have some DDs that I personally am fond of like Wakaba and plan to max them eventually.

Did a BB construction and got Fusou. Was hoping for either the Nagato or Kongou class but can't really complain. Now to level up Chiyoda and get Akagi unlocked! Those bauxites are finally going to be used. Also need that third fleet for more expeditions.