PDA

View Full Version : practice with petit-cheese!

S.Razelrink
05-23-2014, 07:53 PM
I started drawing random things with suggestions and advice and tips and everything else that is good, from user petit-cheese. thanks for your pointers! :')

I did a quick-ish (hour quick) sketch trying to incorporate thickness of lines but I don't think I have the hang of it yet. it's an okay start, maybe!

http://i.imgur.com/rTaW0CR.jpg
yes, that is yuudachi kai ni, and yes those are supposed to be night-vision goggles because I thought I'd make her look really cool!
I picked this pose because I want to be able to draw dynamic poses and angles : )

petit-cheese
05-29-2014, 12:57 AM
S.Razelrink Hey hey, so sorry for my super late response! I've been piled with work stuff and been out of town for couple of days to boot.

I drew a redline for you:

http://i.imgur.com/QRjhkHB.jpg

The first thing that stuck out to me was your pose. What is her action showing? It's always important to approach your character drawings with some story to tell through their body language to relay to your audience. If she's standing in place, is the character confident or timid? Or maybe in-between? If your character in mid-action, like running or walking, you want to push it to the extreme pose for best effect. Coming up with poses can be hard and I find that starting with small thumbnail sketches first helps me out a lot.

Second thing was your foreshortening, as noted by my red text. The small little line can make or break the illusion of depth in your drawing. It can be tricky but you'll get it down with some practice.

Your drawings have a lot of personality and I want to see you push them further! I'll try to respond in a timely manner from now on. Remember to keep it loose and sketchy!

S.Razelrink
05-29-2014, 06:39 AM
petit-cheese welcome back! : )

thanks for going out of your way to help me out with this! I'd felt that something didn't look right with the overall pose/the right leg but no matter how many times I tried to go through the lines again, it just wouldn't turn out right! I picked this particular pose from yuudachi kai ni's card art, except drawn at a different angle and perspective. as I usually have the most trouble drawing characters from different angles (in the past, I've always drawn from a front-on perspective), I picked this pose to hopefully get a better grasp on naturalising 'dynamic poses' (such as your redlined figure on the right side!)

you also mentioned 'loose and sketchy' but I noticed that your drawings tend to be quite.. not sketchy? maybe I just had this notion that 'sketchy' would be far more messier!

thank you for your encouragements, and I'll try another drawing sometime soooooon :')

petit-cheese
05-29-2014, 08:01 PM
S.Razelrink Thanks and you're always welcome! (:

If you get stuck on a certain area of the drawing, I'd recommend moving to another part of the drawing or taking a break then try again later. It's common for artists to find mistakes after coming back to a drawing because our brains tend to trick us.

An immediate way to get our brains to see mistake is to flip the drawings horizontally. Digitally this is very easy to do but if you're working traditionally, you might need to get creative like using a mirror or scanning your drawing.

My drawings are quite sketchy/messy as I'm working on them. I usually post a more cleaned up versions after I've had fun going crazy lol. I'll post a more messier drawing next time~

S.Razelrink
05-30-2014, 02:55 AM
petit-cheese oh my gosh i was actually told that by another person who recommended that i digitally invert the image to see if it looked weird inverted, and if it did, it was an indicator of someting drawn or coloured wrong! so it does actually work...!

would this work if i continued to draw upside down?

p.s really looking forward to more of your not-so-sketchy sketches :')

petit-cheese
05-31-2014, 10:47 AM
S.Razelrink Not sure if upside down would work. When I draw on paper, I'm usually rotating it around constantly but it never quite had the same effect as mirroring it.

S.Razelrink
05-31-2014, 06:46 PM
petit-cheese blegh that's unfortunate since I can't.. mirror images unless I literally take a mirror x___x oh well! I'll try rotating and will let you know how that goes : ) thaaanks!