PDA

View Full Version : Grim's Old, Dusty Book of Writings and Musings

Grimalkin
01-22-2016, 04:58 PM
I figured I'll dump some of my stuff here. I'm a little embarrassed about most of these; I don't really like showing off my talents or anything for some odd reason.
In any case, I'll post a few and see what you guys think. They range from the very short to the semi-long; I tend to burn myself out if I try to write anything TOO long, so I always try to wrap things up before that happens. Anyways!

a candlelit dream on a cold winter's night

We were only human, but our hands reached out and up to the glass planetarium that bound us to this Earth. We entrusted our wishes to the falling stars in the sky, to the heroes reflected in the deep black of night.

We knew they would never deliver, but that was part of being human; to entrust wishes to falling stars, and to reach up and so desperately try to hold the tiny pinpricks piercing the dark ocean, like lighthouses a thousand miles away, in our very hands.

We knew the pain of loss, and the joy of relief and the wanting there are no words for; the thoughts and memories we wish we could live and relive. The times we sat next to each other, watching the snowflakes fall to the ground from Heaven, all quiet except for the crackling of the fire. That is, until you got up and walked to the window, putting your hand against it, looking up at the sky after the clouds had cleared. I remember you staring longingly, as if you had forgotten something important out there.

But then, the dream dies and my eyes open. I'm awake now. I stare out the window and realize you, too, were just a part of that dream.
Remorse doesn't take me, in spite of the illusion fading. Instead, I feel joy. I dream every night, after all.

two

And just like that,
We were the only ones
Left in this world.
When I said that,
She gently grasped my left hand,
Her slender fingers interlacing with mine.
"Just us two," she said.
The landscape of this burned-out world
And the planetarium of stars above.
So as not to forget my promise,
I squeezed her hand tightly.

war story

It was a cold autumn day. Winter was close, and the breeze carried with it Old Man Winter's bite. My ears were thankfully kept warm by the hat the army had provided; made special for my kind's soldiers. Most of the outfits worn by my species were modified in some way to accommodate animal ears or tails. Us operating in the colder regions of the planet wore heavier outfits with longer hems and these wool-lined hats that kept most of our body heat in. My rifle was tethered to me by its strap, and my sidearm felt a little heavy on my leg. No big deal though. I was performing routine scouting - it was my turn, after all.

That's when it happened. I caught a glimpse of a hostile target moving through the trees, watching me. I figured my best bet was to act like I hadn't noticed them yet, keep an eye on them, make a move when they least expected it. I kept marching, making notes on the map I'd brought with me. Paper was more secure these days; GPS systems could be hacked or stolen, and the enemy would have all of our navigation data. Paper maps, you could burn after you were done with 'em and only the people who saw it knew exactly what was on it. Sure was a pain in the ass, though. So anyways, I kept moving, pulling my hat down some onto my head for a tighter fit as a blast of cold air hit my face, waking me up a bit. I'd been away for a while, and it was almost time to head home.

I started hearing this low rumbling sound, like a bunch of engines running -- maybe a convoy? -- off to the east. I looked up at the sky. Twilight. They'd wanted me back before it was completely dark, but I thought maybe I should investigate. Then there was that other soldier following me. Maybe they were a guard for the convoy? I made me way towards the sound, taking my rifle in both hands, flipping the safety off, started to run in the direction of the engine noises. I used the trees for cover, making sure I was hidden. Then there was a hill. I glanced behind me. I didn't see the soldier that was following me. I ran up the hill, laying down on the ground, removing the small pair of binoculars from my uniform's pocket. Down the hill there was a road a few civilian vehicles were stopped on. They'd been surrounded by other vehicles, mostly trucks with jury-rigged armaments like LMGs on makeshift bipods in the beds. I looked for any identifying marks on the trucks, but couldn't see anything. Bandits, then. They'd been a real menace to civilians during the war; groups of them were usually made up of ex-military from either side, and they usually stopped civilians and robbed them. Those who refused were beaten or shot. They stayed out of our way, usually, since our policy was to shoot them on sight. Maybe they didn't know we were operating in the area?

Then I looked away from them for a minute to hook the long-range aiming module up to my rifle, and saw her. The soldier who'd been following me. She'd noticed them too, and we locked gazes for a minute. Neither of us said anything, just went back to readying our scopes, plugging the jacks into the rifle and into the scope itself, then taking aim at the bandits. Without any words, she fired. Following her lead, I fired too, at a different target; the cutthroats panicked, but eventually scattered after we took a few more shots. Their trucks drove away with the survivors, and the other soldier and me made our way down the hill.

The civvies thanked us, then drove off in the opposite direction as the bandits. I started to walk away when I felt a bullet tear through my shoulder. The sound didn't hit me until well after the pain did, and I fell down on the ground. She'd shot me. Without a thought, I unholstered my sidearm and shot her three times in the stomach, the loud cracks echoing up and down the road. She cried out in pain and dropped her rifle, falling on the ground. My rifle was on the ground too. I must've dropped it when the bullet hit me. I got up slowly and made my way to her. Maybe if she'd been a little quicker she might have hit me in the head, but she didn't. So I walked over to her and broke both her arms, spat on her forehead, and left her there.

I never did tell my Sergeant what really happened when he asked about the wound.

jonathan1995
03-28-2016, 08:18 AM
I like your strong life force :)