PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Bauxite costs

alex
06-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Testing CV compositions on 5-4:
Composition 1: 2 CV (Taihou, Kaga) Kongo, 2x CAV, 1 CLT
Air power of 307 (including CAV air power);
CAV bomber seaplane loss was not calculated, but they seem similar to CV bomber losses.

http://i.imgur.com/4KBNh6D.png
(Percentages indicate percent of planes lost in the corresponding plane slot.)
With this set-up you get air supremacy on all except for one composition of 2 Oni.
Encountered 2 Oni about 50% of the time, which is probably slightly higher than normal leading to slightly higher losses.

Composition 2: 2 CV (Taihou, Kaga), 1CVL(Chitose), BB, CA/V, CAV
Air power of 362
CA/V was swapped to normal recon seaplane to avoid bomber losses, and 0 losses from any recon seaplane slots
http://i.imgur.com/Cx6wpSS.png
Air supremacy was achieved on all nodes.

Calculations
Average losses from 2nd composition:
Taihou (30 Torp): 4.9
Kaga (46 Dive): 5.4
Chitose (24 Torp): 3.6
Total Fighter Loss: 4.4

Adjusted for losses on larger slots based on percentage fighter loss:
Taihou (30 Torp): 4.0
Kaga (46 Dive): 3.9
Chitose (24 Torp): 2.7

(Composition 1 was not analyzed since it has less data, but similar results were seen).

Discussion
As you can see most of bauxite losses are due to bombers. This is because of the high AA opposition on later maps and not applicable to earlier maps with less AA. The type of bomber (torp vs dive) does not have a noticeable effect on the losses suffered, while the slot size does. The planes placed in larger slots tend to lose more planes (presumably from enemy fighters fighter losses).

These results suggest that the average loss from AA is 3-4 bombers per slot. This makes Tone class (high slots count) more secure in their ability to double attack. Very small slots on recent CV/L K2 are going to have a high chance of being shot down and not being able to participate in shelling. Each slot of bombers will likely increase bauxite cost by 15-20 per deployment. Thus I would recommend that on later maps you limit yourself to only 1 bomber per carrier to reduce cost. As you can notice with the 3 CV/L composition the bombers are placed in the largest slot rather than having 2 slots of bombers.

I would recommend players to try to avoid using bomber/fighter hybrid planes (strong ones like seiran could be an exception depending on situation). They will likely suffer the same high losses as bombers and fail to offer much in terms of air power or damage. Their AA losses will also hurt their Air power contribution quite a bit. CAV might be better off with recon planes if you are attempting to reduce bauxite costs.

Another interesting observation is that fighters under 16 slots did not lose a single plane with air supremacy (20 next highest did suffer losses). Something similar probably happens with smaller slots with air superiority, which is likely the reason why recon seaplanes usually never suffer losses when placed in the small slots as long as you don't face air denial. The fighter losses are not very high, but placing fighters in smaller slots might increase baux efficiency. This works well in concert with reducing bomber slots by placing 1 bomber in largest slot and filling more smaller slots with fighters. This can have practical applications for PvP if you are considering carriers (small, balanced slots will max Air FP and min. losses).

Summary
-CV Bomber type (Dive vs Torpedo) does not have a noticeable affect plane losses.
-Slot size has an influence on plane losses, which is likely affected by air superiority values achieved.
-Plane losses from Enemy fighters are probably based on a percentage depending on air superiority values achieved.
-Most of bauxite cost on high enemy AA maps comes from the number of bomber slots used.
-It is possible to completely eliminate all plane losses with fighters used in small plane slots

WtfCakes
06-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Recon seaplanes are only lost during recon phase, you can only lose at most 1 (out of the entire fleet) per node.

Marius
06-23-2014, 09:52 AM
fun fact:

you can loose planes even against subs, I am always shaking my head when I have to resupply Bauxite after a 1-5 run
(I always think of bad fairy pilots crashing in the ocean)

Laisy
06-23-2014, 09:54 AM
fun fact:

you can loose planes even against subs, I am always shaking my head when I have to resupply Bauxite after a 1-5 run

Damn. I just imagined them trying to ram the subs...

SlashZero
06-23-2014, 09:57 AM
fun fact:

Um... the aerial combat phase is skipped entirely if you are fighting against an entirely submarine fleet (although not the other way around). IDK how you are losing planes.

shiro
06-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Um... the aerial combat phase is skipped entirely if you are fighting against an entirely submarine fleet (although not the other way around). IDK how you are losing planes.
These "unexplained" losses can only be attributed to corruption ala Civ. :)

FireKiller87
06-23-2014, 10:27 AM

I've had to resupply planes to my CVL Chitose after a 1-5 run. It happens; the cost is very small though, usually between 5 and 15 bauxite per three-node sortie.

alex
06-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Not sure how it works either, but some subs have AA guns. 5-2 Subs shoot down quite a few planes. Maybe animations are skipped but they still shoot down planes.

WtfCakes
06-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Recon seaplanes are only lost during recon phase, you can only lose at most 1 (out of the entire fleet) per node.
This would explain why you had to spend bauxite at 1-5.