View Full Version : Notification Sounds

07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
This is discussion regarding the notifications you get on the forum (such as mentions, quotes, etc). It updates live by checking every x seconds to see whether you have a new notification.

I'm wondering how many people are keen on me implementing a sound (like a beep or something) to signal that you got a new notification. I definitely think this could be an open discussion with fair number of people for and against, so please feel free to speak up and vote.

07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
i like the idea, sometimes i lose myself with chats and this is perfect for keeping with the forum

I don't mind as long as there are options to turn off the features in the user CP.
This goes for all the current ones such as highlighted ship names.

As long as you can turn it off, without that option I highly oppose the idea.

07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
I'd say indifferent... As long as there is a function to turn it off if you want I don't think there's a real reason why anyone should be against it °°

07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
That's interesting.
Though it would be wise to add the option to mute the sound, for the case when we don't want to be annoyed with it (such a watching a video for exemple)

07-22-2014, 09:35 PM
I like the idea. But please make it so that you can turn it off when you want.
Also now if you click on the cross to close the new mentions/quotes, when you refresh/change thread they come back, I don't know if that's supposed to happen or not. If that would cause the sound to reappear, that would make me go mental.

07-22-2014, 09:36 PM
What sort of a load would notification sounds introduce to the server? That aside, I'd kinda rather not, but if it can be disabled, then I'm fine with others having it.

07-22-2014, 09:37 PM
What sort of a load would notification sounds introduce to the server? That aside, I'd kinda rather not, but if it can be disabled, then I'm fine with others having it.

Not a big deal.

07-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Basically this.

07-22-2014, 09:44 PM
It'd also probably be better as off by default, seeing as I suspect some new people might not know how to disable it, and might get put off by the sounds.

07-22-2014, 09:54 PM
@panda (http://kancolle.himeuta.net/forums/member.php?u=1354) Yeah, I'd imagine it would get kind of crazy in GCT...the notifications in the lower left are good enough

07-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

07-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I personally wouldn't use it very much. Just seeing it and checking on my own time is good enough for me. Only case I see when I'd put it up is when I'm waiting for a reply I'd need to respond immediately for. As long as there's an option to turn it off though, it sounds like a welcome feature to have available.

07-22-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm indifferent as well. Some people might find it useful but I probably will turn it off.

07-28-2014, 03:45 AM
It sounds like a neat idea. I probably won't be needing it myself since I'm here all the time.
As long as there is an option to turn it off.

11-26-2014, 04:12 AM
Overall it would be a useful feature.
But I reckon if it's gonna eat into your time to maintain or improve other necessary or cool aspects of the site then it's not gonna be worth it.

11-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Rather than a notification sound, what I would want is something Facebook does where there is a (x) to show how many notifications you have in the tab. Like in Facebook where it shows a (1) if someone messages you or a new notification etc. Of course, I would not mind a notification sound. As others have said, a turn off option for the sound would be wise to include.

A Zombie King
02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
would be a cool feature and as said from other people an off option would be nice for those who dont want it

02-19-2015, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I agree with the rest. I'll be fine with it if there was an option to turn it on or off

Ryuuhou Kagiyama
02-19-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm wondering how this will affect server load. Here at Himeuta we mention and quote each other a LOT. The sound file you can offset that with caching/CDN, but I wonder if all the additional server calls are going to be worth it.

02-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Just imagine GCT subscription notifications every 2 seconds. lol

02-21-2015, 04:03 PM
I might be a bit late for the party, but I do not believe sound notifications would be necessary nor that helpful overall. If I'm being perfectly honest, Himeuta is already well-organized for every user that keeps their settings set in whichever way they prefer. That would include the all-round notifications for any new activity on the forums and elsewhere, with all of them being presented in a section pop-up shape in the bottom-left part of the page on default. That alone, I believe is enough. Sound notifications wouldn't really contribute too much in my eyes, especially when the current visual notifications already appear without the need of refreshing the page.

This brings me to the point that sound notifications might only encourage haste and impulsive actions as well as posts shared, that could potentially lower the quality of them as an ending result. The notifications system is highly efficient the way it is now. I'm not saying that there won't be anything that could potentially even improve it, but I seriously do not see sound notifications as something that would. Fancy idea, but still I believe it wouldn't add much/enough to the current system for me to support it.

02-23-2015, 05:07 AM
IDK how I feel about a notification sound but if implimented I sort of want this sound to be an option for posterity (Kongou is love, Kongou is life).

I've been using it for my email notification on my phone and it brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

04-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Me too basically this. Voted for No (even if there's turn off setting, still it's a No :3 )

09-25-2015, 02:16 AM
I voted "Yes", assuming it would be optional.