Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The 18th Oct Maint has ended. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall 2017 Anime

Rep
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    watching:

-Shoujou Shuumatsu

-UQ Holder (fan of the original negima manga)

-Inuyashiki

-Boku no Kanojo

on the list:

-Yuki Yuuna

-Dia Horizon

-Mahoutsukai No Yome

-Just Because

-Black Clover

Dropped:

-Dies Irae (episode 0 is just unimpressive).

(winter 2018):

There are some rock solid titles coming out

Watchlist (in order of interest):

1. Fate Extra: Last Encore (Umu simulator 2018, Shaft).

2. Beatless (android anime, I've read the manga).

3. Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai: Take On Me.

4. Violet Evergarden

5. Overlord II

Last edited by firemagnet; 10-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4750 Post(s)
    Watched the first half of the season and here's what I think.

Must Watch:
    Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - The comfy cute show to watch this season. The art brings that same clash of style with the character designs and setting. It's very much a slice of life show despite how it might look. Just two cute girls wandering aimlessly through a blasted landscape as they try to live just another day. Overall the tone of the show is good and there's a whole subdued and oppressive atmosphere over all the cute antics. Bonus points for clever political commentary too.

Osomatsu-san (2017) - For some strange reason I can't get enough of the absurdist humour on display here. God damn the show put a smile on my face from start to finish. The plot twists from the 'proper' gag in the second half of the show were too much. It's still the same pace and humour as the first season. Check this out if nonsensical humour and a dash of jackassery is your thing.

Worth A Watch:
    Konohana Kitan - Another comfy show this season. Plenty of cute fox girls around if that's your fetish. Otherwise it's just watching Hanasaku Iroha with a huge injection of moe. Also Hanasaku Iroha with a lot of the depth removed from what I see after the first episode. I could be wrong on that but we'll have to wait and see. Overall a really pretty and whimsical show to watch.

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Still the same quality you've come to expect from the first two seasons. Can't say much beyond that. Animation is great and if you like shounen shows, then this is one you should give a shot.

Just Because! - A coming of age story/romance. A really slow paced one too if the first episode is anything to go by. The floaty and carefree feeling the first episode managed to nail was great. The character designs are pretty good and it looks like we've got a colourful cast to watch. Following a bunch of teens around on the twilight of their high school years, so it'd be nice to watch and see how they grow up.

To Pass The Time:
    Black Clover (2017) - The first episode made it come off like a generic shounen. The two characters haven't grown on me yet and nothing really big has happened. Still I've heard good things about the manga so I'm willing to keep watching this show to see where it will go.

Juuni Taisen - I don't really know where this show is going except just a braindead battle royale. It's full of gore and all the first episode did was build up and fully characterise one character only to remove her at the start? I can see it's going to be one of those shows where life is cheap and everyone is a self-serving asshole.

UQ Holder! Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 - I watched it because I was a fan of MSN and I kind of liked UQ. So far the animation wasn't anything to write home about. It just looks like MSN with some modern touch ups. Still a generic shounen/ecchi show. Basically your typical Akamatsu production.

Urahara - At first I thought this was another acid trip like Penguindrum but then learned it was actually another acid trip like Rolling Girls. The artsyle is very bright and airy and definitely feels like this was done for girls by girls. The overall plot of the first episode is just uh... whimsical. You have to watch it to believe it.

Stay Away:
    Ou-sama Game The Animation - Not many shows make me violently hate the MC at the start but this one was one of them. So far all I've seen is pointless killing and gore to drive home the point that 'shit is now serious' and the MC being a dickless motherfucker that almost got someone else killed because he's a dickless motherfucker.

Sengoku Night Blood - An otome show with no obvious redeeming value. It looks paint by numbers and just throws in 'I'm a vampire' out of fucking nowhere. The first episode is just your basic showcase of all the guys you're supposed to be lasting over.

Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara - It's a short that feels kind of similar to the Danna ga Nani. Similarities end where it seems that the husband gets the wife drunk on cocktails because 'that's what allows her to be her real self'. I have nothing more to say to that other than 'k'.

TsukiPro The Animation - My rules for idol shows apply. I didn't like the music so the rest of the show can be written off.

IGN
    Murrue
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1538 Post(s)
    @Leyana About Black Clover I would add that it may be the first show I will drop because of a MC VA, who scream like a full retard everytime he speaks with a really annoying voice....

And yeah Ousama MC is just a wimp....

Last edited by Murrue; 10-09-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Alright, I've watched the majority of the shows I wanted to watch this season and now I'm gonna give my impression just like Leyana did, these are the titles in no particular oder:

-Kekkai Sensen S2: It looks way better than the first season so far, first episode was fun and over the top as always yet the music and animation are awesome as usual, this is pretty much gonna be the best action show of the season.

-Imouto sae Ireba Li: If you manage to survive one of the cringiest intros in recent memories then you're gonna find in my opinion a decent adult comedy with serious themes, however such themes came out almost near the end of the episode but it gave me hopes for this show to keep improving with each episode... hopefuly. Beware that this show is filled with ecchi and tons of sexual innuendos/jokes...

-The Ancient Magus Bride: AOTS right here, everything about the anime is just as beautiful as the ovas and manga, if you're looking for a high quality production then this show is for you.

-Kino's Journey: A strong contestant for AOTS, the first episode was awesome and it's carrying on what made the first adaptation legendary, keep in mind that this a reboot/remake so expect new episodes and new content as the story progresses.

-Two Car: A story about cute/sexy girls racing in one of the oldest motorsports in history, there's nothing much more than that but I find it quite enjoyable and relaxing, think about this show as Bakuon but much more serious. (also this is one of those shows where there's only females and no males LUL)

-Garo: Vanishing Line:
    This is my first experience with the Garo franchise and... I was blown away with the first episode, the action is top notch and it reminded me of those old school violent anime from the 80's which was glorious, apparently all Garo fans are happy with it so far and hopefuly it will continue to deliver in future episodes.

-Net-juu no Susume:
    Finally an anime about a 30 yo cute NEET woman playing an MMO, this is a first and it's honestly well done and really fun so far, the story is kinda cliche but with a charming twist that makes things even better.

-Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou: Possibly the Made in Abyss of this season, the two main characters are extremely cute but seeing them in such a desolate lanscape is bittersweet, it also contains heavy dark themes and I'm pretty sure things will escale a lot in later episodes... I better start preparing my feels when that happens, in my opinion this show will likely become a contestant for AOTS.

-Just Because:
    An extremely relaxed title, finally a proper and relatable high school drama/slice of life without ecchi or dirty jokes, if you're looking for something to watch after a long day at work then look no further than this show, it will likely become one of the hidden gems of this season.

-Juuni Taisen: Another action packed show for this season, it's a battle royale anime almost like Fate/Stay Night but much more mature and violent. The story and characters are very interesting so far and that's what hooked me up to this show. I have to say that this one together with Kekkai Sensen S2 and Garo: The vanishing line are the holy trifecta of action packed shows this season.

-Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara: My favorite short of the season hands down, a cute story about a couple living together where the husband loves to serve alcohol to his wife. What I like the most is that show throws you small trivias about different types of drinks, the characters are really cute and if you ever watched "I can't understand what my husband is saying" and you liked it, then this show is for you.

-Ousama game the animation: If you're looking to watch a horror/gory show for this Halloween then this title might be for you... however I have to say the characters (the majority of them) are pretty trashy and the writing is hilariously bad... however I think that's the charm of it, gory stuff with bad writing so you can laugh about it, so I'll personally keep watching it just for that surprise comedy factor.

-Shokugeki No Souma: San no Sara: Foodgasms are back! If you enjoyed the previous seasons then you should be watching it without excuses.

-Love Live Sunshine 2: The girls are back and it seems that things will finally get more serious this time, let's see if this time they manage to shine.

And that's pretty much what I'm looking this season so far, there's still a couple of unaired shows that I'm waiting for but so far I have to say that this anime season seems to be by far the best of the year, so hopefuly it will stay like that.

Last edited by Kranesh; 10-09-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4750 Post(s)
    Time for the 2nd batch of shows this season. This is a long list.

Must Watch
    Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Yuusha no Shou - So apparently this is a two parter with the prequel bit coming first. Still the quality is right up there with the first season and the girls are all bright and cheery. Of course if you've watched the first season you know how the three girls in the prequel are going to end up. It does kind of take away from the suspense when you know you're about to watch 3 cute young girls get seriously fucked up but oh well. The fight sequences are good and flashy so pick this up.

Blend S - This is basically Working before Working got more and more convoluted. So now is a good time to hop in on the ground level before this series goes to shit too. The premise is basically girls working at some fetish cafe where they have to act out personalities to the customers. It's quite fun to watch them swing between their real personalities and their professional ones. It also helps that the character designs are really cute.

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond - I was curious how they could top the first season and the first episode is happy to demonstrate how. The whole episode was action packed from start to finish with the specific brand of over the top I've come to expect from this series. It mostly serves as a reintroduction to all the characters from the first season but it does it well. I can't wait to see what this season has in store now that I know they managed to keep the quality up.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau - The show gave me a very Ghibli feeling when watching the first episode. That feeling you get when something grand is about to happen. Granted the first episode didn't do much except some world building but damn if it wasn't well animated. I really like the premise of the show too, just the pure desire to explore. Character designs are great too so that helps.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome - The art and animation really gives off a Izetta/Akagami no Shirayuki-hime vibe. But it must just be the redheaded, green eyed girl. Anyway the plot and setting is pretty whimsical with a touch of otherworldly darkness. It is very well animated and acted too. I can't wait to see how the girl grows up and stops being out of her depth. Just ignore that one of the main characters essentially bought someone to be his wife/apprentice at a slave auction.

Inuyashiki - From the author of Gantz so expect lots of gore. Also expect some solid characters and storytelling. The CG was quite well done and didn't feel out of place. The acting is kind of muted but that lends a heavy realistic atmosphere to the proceedings. Overall the show interests me and I'm really looking forward to see where they go with this.

Worth A Watch
    Houseki no Kuni (2017) - The CG might put some people off but I think the CG fits the show nicely. The gem girls are properly animated and they shatter quite convincingly. My one gripe is how they keep using 'hardness' as an indicator of how breakable they are. That said, the premise is quite simple. A bunch of living gemstones fighting for survival against some otherworldly force trying to harvest them for jewellery. The simple premise should give some leeway for the MC to record their existence for posterity. It's more of a character drama in that sense where you get to know each and every one of the cast intimately.

Love Live! Sunshine!! (2017) - Love Live returns. There really isn't much more to say than that. It's a good idol show for those of you who like that sort of thing. But definitely do give it a go.

Netojuu no Susume - This show has an... interesting premise. It's a love story wrapped up in some nerdy comedy. It's pretty good so far though even if quite cliched. What I am interested in is seeing how the romance develops both in game and out. Since they're both playing their opposite genders in game.

The Idolmaster Side M - The original Idolmaster was already a good idol show with decent production values. So far, that seems to have carried over to this one. Which does make it a good thing considering all the trashier male idol shows floating about.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu (2017) - Ah, I still think this is criminally underwatched. It's a comedy that relies heavily on the MC trolling the shit out of everyone. It sounds simple but it works. Like trolling on the internet, what makes it is the reactions. The reactions the MC manages to get out of the rest of the cast is great.

Two Car - For a sports show that looks to be relying on sex to sell it, it's pretty well done. The girls mostly aren't balls of fetishes and they're all realistically proportioned. It honestly feels great. The racing is exciting but you require some suspension of disbelief when the main pair goes from last to first in what appears to be a single lap. The first episode functions as more of an introduction to the main pair and all of the rival teams along with some backstory so don't expect much. But the first episode already shows more potential than any of the other moe sports shows.

To Pass The Time
    Code:Realize - Sousei no Himegimi - I like the aesthetic of this show and that's about it. The character designs and animation is good but it doesn't have much of anything else. The story didn't hook me and the characters felt kind of bland.

Garo: Vanishing Line - More Garo this time set in the good 'ol USA. Can't say much about the first episode since it basically started off the same as the other 2 Garo seasons. Just got to see what world ending monster they pull out this time to really tell if it's any good.

Anime-Gataris - This is some weird combination of school life crap, magical girl and Genshiken. I don't even know where this show is heading and a part of me doesn't want to know.

Himouto! Umaru-chan R - I freaking hate Umaru.

Imouto sae Ireba Ii. - If the first 2 minutes of the show didn't put you off, congratulations. You're beyond saving. If you watched past the 15 minute mark and didn't stop, congratulations. You're probably a masochist. Now that's not to say the show has 0 redeeming value. The characters besides the MC are decent at least and the designs are well done. This will be another one of those shows where you wish the MC dies so better characters can take the limelight.

Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou - I have no idea what they did to WUG between the first season and this but good god. The animation seems to have taken a nosedive and the shitty CG dance sequences have made their way into WUG now too. Disappointingly it seems that WUG has taken after the other idol shows and made it more of a standard idol show with lots of bright cheery girls and working hard.

Stay Away
    Dynamic Chord - I've never seen an OP as lazy as this one. Fuck, it looked like it was made in Flash. Getting that out of the way, you just have you standard idol show. Seeing as there are 2 good ones this season already, just ignore this one.

Taishou Mebiusline: Chicchai-san - Chibi ikkemen. Need I say more? No substance to this one.

Dies Irae - I have no fucking idea what was going on in the first ep. All I saw was Nazis and then a flash of different characters just burning a city. I don't even know what this show is supposed to be but that first episode was a trainwreck.

Evil or Live - The premise is kind of interesting but that doesn't save the show from the shitty animation or acting. Add in the fact that there are all the beatings to make the show edgy for edge's sake and you have yet another Tencent shitshow.

Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shobitch na Ken - This show just comes off as ecchi trash. The girls do nothing but titillate the MC and appear to be just pieces of meat for you to fetish over.

Rep
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Watching:

Netjuu no susume: Definitely a keeper for me. While formulaic, the characters are fun to watch. The OP song is an excellent bonus.

Inuyashiki: I'm keeping long range tabs on this one. The manga is excellent, and the anime is essentially a carbon-copy of the manga.

Boku no Kanojo Majime Sugiru Shobitch na ken: @Leyana: it being ecchi trash is the point. While the humor is occasionally flat, it's at least modestly enjoyable for what it is.

UQ Holder: As someone who's followed Ken Akamatsu's works since the original Love Hina!, I have to say that I'm a sop for his mix of humor, drama, and characters. UQ Holder (I've read through chapter 147 of the manga) is no exception, and flawlessly integrates itself into the greater lore of Akamatsu's works. Older characters from previous series abound to tie up loose ends from the original series or return in wholly unexpected ways. Since the anime is essentially a carbon-copy of the manga, I'm looking forward to how they'll integrate the greater arc of the narrative into this series.

Keeping tabs:

Yuuki Yuuna

Mahotsukai no Yome

Black Clover

Imouto sae ireba li

Staying well away:

Dies Irae: something something ancient conspiracies, lazy Norse mythology, and immortal Nazis everywhere. Whatever it is, Hellsing Ultimate's london arc did it better.

Rep
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Watching 10 currently airing shows. I'm kinda looking for more but not sure what else to watch.

Blend S A poor man's Working! it's not super boring but doesn't making me laugh. I might drop it.
    Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken The first ep was funny, but they're beating a dead horse by now. I'll watch more but not too fond of the execution. It just feels very, very low budget.
    Fireball Humorous It's too short to even put it on the list probably.
    Garo: Vanishing Line As a long time Garo fan, I always wanted a cyberpunk Garo series. So far I love everything, except for the shaky camera and no clear shots of the armor. Damn it looks amazing.
    Himouto! Umaru-chan R Why is this a thing? Who is the target audience? I barely managed to finish the 1st season, but the 2nd season just made it way WAY worse. I'm 100% dropping it if the next ep is the same garbage.
    Imouto sae Ireba Ii. The first ep started with a huge cringe, then I laughed my ass off. However I don't think I need one more show of a siscon lightnovelist. I swear this is a new archetype at this point.
    Inuyashiki I really like it, liked the manga too. But the 1st ep made me question old man's character. I always imagined him incredibly sad and lost in the world, by his expression and the way he talked. He looks more funny and wonky here. He sounds too young. he was better in ep2 tho. Shishigami sounds super off, as he should.
    Kekkai Sensen & Beyond I liked the 1st season, not super crazy about it but it's still a good watch. 2nd season looks more of the same. I just hope nothing like the last bad guy happens because he was lame as hell.
    Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season I liked s1 but it wasn't super fun. s2 starting with a drama ep was an awful idea. They're going overboard with the memes too. Send help. I wanted character building, not flanderization.
    Mahoutsukai no Yome As someone who HATED the ovas, I love the series. Finally we get to see interesting things and there's worldbuilding. Very satisfying, glad it got 24 episodes.

As much as I want to watch more ongoing shows, I always do it because the ones I already watch don't satisfy me much. Besides Garo, Inuyashiki and MahoYome, the rest falls flat.
    Anything you'd suggest checking out? I'm not bound by genres.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Yuudachi, Satsuki, Ikazuchi, Tone.

Rep
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sawhorse View Post
    Watching 10 currently airing shows. I'm kinda looking for more but not sure what else to watch.

Blend S A poor man's Working! it's not super boring but doesn't making me laugh. I might drop it.
    Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken The first ep was funny, but they're beating a dead horse by now. I'll watch more but not too fond of the execution. It just feels very, very low budget.
    Fireball Humorous It's too short to even put it on the list probably.
    Garo: Vanishing Line As a long time Garo fan, I always wanted a cyberpunk Garo series. So far I love everything, except for the shaky camera and no clear shots of the armor. Damn it looks amazing.
    Himouto! Umaru-chan R Why is this a thing? Who is the target audience? I barely managed to finish the 1st season, but the 2nd season just made it way WAY worse. I'm 100% dropping it if the next ep is the same garbage.
    Imouto sae Ireba Ii. The first ep started with a huge cringe, then I laughed my ass off. However I don't think I need one more show of a siscon lightnovelist. I swear this is a new archetype at this point.
    Inuyashiki I really like it, liked the manga too. But the 1st ep made me question old man's character. I always imagined him incredibly sad and lost in the world, by his expression and the way he talked. He looks more funny and wonky here. He sounds too young. he was better in ep2 tho. Shishigami sounds super off, as he should.
    Kekkai Sensen & Beyond I liked the 1st season, not super crazy about it but it's still a good watch. 2nd season looks more of the same. I just hope nothing like the last bad guy happens because he was lame as hell.
    Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season I liked s1 but it wasn't super fun. s2 starting with a drama ep was an awful idea. They're going overboard with the memes too. Send help. I wanted character building, not flanderization.
    Mahoutsukai no Yome As someone who HATED the ovas, I love the series. Finally we get to see interesting things and there's worldbuilding. Very satisfying, glad it got 24 episodes.

As much as I want to watch more ongoing shows, I always do it because the ones I already watch don't satisfy me much. Besides Garo, Inuyashiki and MahoYome, the rest falls flat.
    Anything you'd suggest checking out? I'm not bound by genres.

There really isn't much. It is, sadly, the season of all the trash adaptations, with few exceptions. Yuki Yuuna is a Hero and UQ Holder are worth checking out, though for the latter I'd recommend reading the manga.

If we're looking at siscons, Oniichan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! did it better.

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    @firemagnet To be honest this season is by far the best of the year, sure there are really meh titles but the majority of them are worth a watch and overall I haven't dropped a single show which is good! Of all the shows I'm watching the best are:

-Kino's Journey
    -Kekkai Sensen
    -Ancient Magus Bride
    -Garo: Vanishing Line
    -Children of the Whales
    -Yuki Yuuna
    -Girl's last tour
    -Inuyashiki

Those are the best titles the season has to offer, then we have secondary titles that are enjoyable to watch:

-Two Car
    -Just Because!
    -Love Live Sunshine!
    -Netojuu no Susume
    -Juuni Taisen
    -Shokugeki no souma

That's my personal must watch list, the reception towards those titles are pretty much positive which is good considering how many main/secondary shows end up being garbage during a season.

Last edited by Kranesh; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.