Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The 18th Oct Maint has ended. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rear-Admiral
    Rep
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    @NanashiYoukai is ASDIC useful if you're not a ranking player and don't have it?

Rep
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    Saury festival

First of all, it is very important to understand that more hp does not necessarily means better performance in KC. This is due to how overkill mechanics works. For more about overkill mechanics, please visit this article written by Echlll
    That was written quite a while ago and is quite a bit outdated, we now have a much better understanding of the formula. It was previously thought that any value in the 50-79% range was equally likely, but now we know that it actually goes in increments depending on the ship's total HP

夏 '15 : BBBCCBC | 秋 '15: AABBA | 冬16: AAA | 春 '16: AAAAAAC
    http://i.imgur.com/ZUPC2wm.png
    https://www.senka.me/player/20025918

IGN
    Ferreae
    Server
    鹿屋基地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    @firehawk12 It could drop a few levels off getting oASW for some ships, or make it possible to get oASW on a less equipment for certain others. (If you lack Type 4)

Rear-Admiral
    Rep
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    @Ferreae Yeah, I guess I thought it was a no brainer until I read that post. lol

Still, it's odd that they are giving away the 2016 banner... I wonder if the game will break if you try to choose it when you already have it?

Rep
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
    @NanashiYoukai is ASDIC useful if you're not a ranking player and don't have it?
    I wouldn't say so, it's great, but it doesn't really change much for unmarried ships. 15 ASW isn't going to do anything dramatic. Our main consideration is whether a ship can perform a single-sonar OASW, because power-wise, the ASDIC is mostly overkill, on any serious ASW map, T4-T3-T2 puts most DDs well over the day cap even in head-on engagement thanks to the line abreast modifier,

Single-sonar OASWs are important because they allow a ship to run night double attacks (do remember that the 12.7LM grants a single point of ASW power too) while allowing sub nodes to be survived.

I'll cover more in the reply below

Quote Originally Posted by Ferreae View Post
    @firehawk12 It could drop a few levels off getting oASW for some ships, or make it possible to get oASW on a less equipment for certain others. (If you lack Type 4)
    It changes very, very little.

Most married DDs (well, the ones that matter game-wise) can perform a single-sonar OASW, so let's focus on unmarried ships.

Pre-patch DD wise, there is exactly one unmarried DD that can perform a single-sonar OASW: Asashio K2D, that's her unique strength and what makes her one of the stronger DDs (combined with all her other strengths).

Post-patch without including the ASW modernization, that still leaves Asashio K2D, so no change yet.

Now, factoring in max ASW modernization, the magic number for an unmarried DD is 100-2-15-9, or 74. (let's ignore how precisely twenty people on each server have the HF DF). Here's who has above 74 ASW: Fumizuki, Satsuki, Libeccio, Asashimo, Ushio, and Verniy. Fumi and Satsuki need the least because they hit 81 ASW at level 99, while Bep needs the full 9.

You could mod Fumi and Satsuki to 86, but the problem is that at that point you're essentially bringing Mutsuki classes for a double-attack and should really be considering your decisions. Only Verniy really gains anything from this, and perhaps Ushio, but those two are still weakish for DDs.

CL-wise, things get interesting, you have Yura at 83, Kinu at 85, and Abukuma at 82, plus Jintsuu at 79. This could allow for weird and wacky things like Yura with OASW, opening torp, and two guns for a DA, but realistically, yeah... no.

TL;DR It helps a little bit for some CLs, but it's not super gamechanging

夏 '15 : BBBCCBC | 秋 '15: AABBA | 冬16: AAA | 春 '16: AAAAAAC
    http://i.imgur.com/ZUPC2wm.png
    https://www.senka.me/player/20025918

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4725 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EchIII View Post
    That was written quite a while ago and is quite a bit outdated, we now have a much better understanding of the formula. It was previously thought that any value in the 50-79% range was equally likely, but now we know that it actually goes in increments depending on the ship's total HP
    Well, it is still good enough for explaining how overkill works.

Besides, I am too lazy to explain the whole system again.

- - - Updated - - -

Test on effect of DC on saury drop rate
    Map: 1-5

Comp:

Basically taiyou+3DE with 2sonar 1 T3 DC vs taiyou+3DE with 3 sonar.

Result:

Those marked in red are without DC, while those in blue are with DC. The attempts with "秋刀魚" at the end are those with saury drops. In the test, the comp with DC scores a 5/20 drop rate, while the comp without DC scores a 6/20 drop rate. Obviously, the sample size is small, and overfishing mechanics might affect the result. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by 211303; 09-30-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    @ofi123 Get the TBF then. Since the non-ranking playerbase doesn't have ASDIC my guess is that it's likely to be introduced in the near future regardless, especially since said DD or whichever British ship which uses it hasn't been added to the game, and the 11 ASW ASDIC itself is pretty crummy. On the other hand I doubt Tanaka is going to give yet more opportunities to get TBF after, in the course of these event rewards, very kindly giving a second chance and gently reminding the playerbase that having one TBF is needed for the equipment quests.

@firehawk12

Looking at things from the perspective of a player who has most non-ranking equips (and no ludicrously OP historical items of course), I'd say this particular ASDIC on offer is not useful in terms of raw power, and neither is TBF, because better substitutes exist for everyday use that can be crafted by the player. Note that the reward ASDIC only has 11 ASW power, which is less than Type 4 Sonar which can be created by upgrading T93 sonars. But Ferreae makes a point that it makes a very small contribution if your fleet's typical OASW characters aren't sufficiently levelled, or you don't have Type 4 Sonars.

On my part I am getting ASDIC because I didn't rank in August, so I didn't get it. Sure, as I said above there's a very good chance it'll be introduced in the next event along with the new British ship, but just having it is a load off my mind as to 'what could happen in the future'. On the other hand the TBF is unlikely to get some kind of upgrade to TBM in the future (via quest or Akashi) due to how powerful the TBM is, and I already have TBF in the kandex, so I do not feel a pressing need to have another item which I likely will never use and never be able to upgrade.

(Yes, I know I took the plain swordfish which is an inferior substitute and nearly useless with Swordfish MkIII around, but the comparison is against Shiden K2 which is very clearly craftable).

Last edited by NanashiYoukai; 09-30-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: clarification
    KanDex First Completed 16 February 2016 // HQ Lvl 120! 9 March 2016 // 2nd Anniversary with Hiyou! 31 March 2017

Summer 2017: The War Against Europe ALL 甲 CLEAR

Rep
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    I've gotten 22 fishes, with 10 gotten today, but it looks like I couldn't get anymore sauries... tried going to obscure fishing nodes with no success.
    Any idea how long until the overfishing penalty subsides?

Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).

Rep
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I want Etorofu so bad! 😭😭😭 Where is the best place to try and farm her?

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4725 Post(s)
    @Lotus Senpai 3-5 should be the best place to farm. 6-1 is another choice, but I think the passing rate of this map is too low.

The sexiest bridge ever made.