Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)
    Speed boost, like Heal, is by definition a more selfish consumable, since you're the only one affected.

The German BB's hydro is useful on Bisko.... and that's pretty much it. In most of the cases, if a FdG or a Currywurst comes forwards to use it, he'll be focus fired and burned down to the waterline, especially since the RN BBs have changed the meta. Radar and Hydro, the two detection consumables, are indeed in high demand, DefFire is very niche, as is Smoke. The USN one is very useful, the RN one is quite selfish, and the German one is dubious.

I wouldn't say Speed Boost is totally useless, though. Most people are focusing on the fact that Ritchie can reach 38 knots, outrunning Iowa and being able to run down Donskoi or Akizuki, some others are salivating on the thought of seeing an overextending, alone and helpless Ritchie, but I'm pretty sure it can have other uses which are indirectly helping the team.

Last edited by Keyan_TTK; 11-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Think your definition of gimmick differs from mine. Both the speed boost you're panning and the drag shell are gimmicks in my book. Anything that differs from non-standard gameplay that is evident in the older low-mid tier ships.

It's a mater of preference if you ask me. Speed boost doesn't directly help the team, but in a team game such as this there can always be indirect impact. You say a team has to be 'stupid' to chase after one ship, but you're talking about a cruiser, not a RU destroyer. If you ignore it, it's going to bite back at you anyway. Team games such as this, regardless of ranked, random, or clan, are based on getting a better than equal trade out of your unit. French cruisers represent a very good 'better than equal trade' all the time regardless if the enemy team decides to commit on you or not, something Zao and Ibuki used to be when they still benefited from stealth fire. This especially so, when "committing" to an action in this game is very difficult to pull out of, because of the size of the map and how we move about it in ships. Make the enemy commit incorrectly, and even if he tries to rectify it, you have already won.

I can think of a lot of ways to use a 38knot BB. Most of it won't even involve chasing down enemies, I don't think over-extension is a problem if you are going to use it properly. But if you mean you would be disappointed that poor players will use it to just close and die faster, then that's a rather different topic.

And I disagree with Moskva being favored over Henri. Moskva can do a kite role, but she's much better at being a line ship. Moskva is more easily targeted at long range, even though she's tougher. I don't agree with everything in the meta.

Last edited by DLRevan; 11-08-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Rep
    Mentioned
    1080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    Think your definition of gimmick differs from mine. Both the speed boost you're panning and the drag shell are gimmicks in my book. Anything that differs from non-standard gameplay that is evident in the older low-mid tier ships.
    To me there are two types of gimmick: The first one brings things that separates ships from others while being overall useful to the gameplay of these ships. The stronger than average German hydro across all of their lines is an example, or the superior smoke of US DDs, or radars on Soviet cruisers, etc... I feel like the low drag would fit that kind of gimmick, because it's useful literally all the time: Every French ship in the game is/will be centered around the guns.

The other kind of gimmick is what I'd call "gadgety" gimmick, which are just kind of there because "shit, we need something to make these ships unique somehow." Kii is a good recent example of that.
    I feel like speed boost belongs more in the second category. The only class of ships it synchronizes very well with is French DDs, and it even then it seems like it might bite them in the ass if Aigle is anything to go by because WG might use the existence of the superior French speed boost to not give them their correct speed, which means we can kiss bye bye to Le Terrible's 45knts base speed. And that's actually a downside, because base speed never goes on CD while speed boost does.

You say a team has to be 'stupid' to chase after one ship, but you're talking about a cruiser, not a RU destroyer. If you ignore it, it's going to bite back at you anyway.
    It depends what kind of ships, how many you send and at what point in the game. In your example, you mentionned seeing "whole teams chasing after them [...] literally losing matches due to a single French cruiser". None of the French cruisers pose sufficent threats to justify an entire team chasing it down.

And besides, even if that's true, it doesn't change the fact that they have little early game utility. They can deal damage and... That's it really. Hydro on the other hand helps you contest caps for instance.

I can think of a lot of ways to use a 38knot BB. Most of it won't even involve chasing down enemies, I don't think over-extension is a problem if you are going to use it properly. But if you mean you would be disappointed that poor players will use it to just close and die faster, then that's a rather different topic.
    In good hands, I'm expecting it to be a decent tool to quickly reinforce a falling flank/going back to your base to defend, or quicky assault an undefended one. Excellent players will probably overextend on purpose with it to draw the enemy fire and leave them open for your team to shoot at. I think that's going to be some of the best way to use it. But again, in both cases it requires that someone fails in order to be useful, hence why I don't have that much faith in it.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Waiting for Tatsuta Kai Ni :<

IGN
    Chia
    Server
    Saiki Bay
    Rep
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    While I'm not sure how useful a 38 knts BB with speed boost will be, I just remembered that I actually predicted it

Signature by Fog

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I feel like speed boost belongs more in the second category. The only class of ships it synchronizes very well with is French DDs, and it even then it seems like it might bite them in the ass if Aigle is anything to go by because WG might use the existence of the superior French speed boost to not give them their correct speed, which means we can kiss bye bye to Le Terrible's 45knts base speed. And that's actually a downside, because base speed never goes on CD while speed boost does.
    I have to call you out on your exxagerations, you damn Ouiaboo. We both know Le Terrible's 45 knot top speed was reached only during trials at sea, like Tashkent's 43 knots. The Le Fantasque's maximum design speed was only 40 knots (still very respectable), and still sailed at 37.5 knots after the US refit which added quite a lot of weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chia View Post
    While I'm not sure how useful a 38 knts BB with speed boost will be, I just remembered that I actually predicted it
    I have to admit that Ritchie may have a bit of an identity crisis for now. Her low-ish Sigma means she won't be a good sniper, her bad TDS, badly sited secondaries and no turtledeck means she can't brawl, so the Speed boost means you'll mainly run away... as expected of a French warship.

(Credit to @Leyana for this quip)

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    @Mobius I'll never blame a ship for a player's mistakes or lack of skill. In any case, once it has a long enough lifetime in-game, often people learn and come around. I don't think anyone shits on French cruisers in general now, and ships like Atlanta used to be typecast like that.

Last edited by DLRevan; 11-09-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Rep
    Mentioned
    1080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyan_TTK View Post
    I have to call you out on your exxagerations, you damn Ouiaboo. We both know Le Terrible's 45 knot top speed was reached only during trials at sea, like Tashkent's 43 knots. The Le Fantasque's maximum design speed was only 40 knots (still very respectable), and still sailed at 37.5 knots after the US refit which added quite a lot of weight.
    I mean yes... and? Multiple ships, Soviet DDs in particular, have their speed trial as base speed in the game. Hell, some people even pointed out that some of these Soviet DDs wouldn't have been able to maintain these speeds for more than 20/30mins without the engines outright melting down, and IIRC one these DDs (Leningrad I think?) even suffered hull (or structural, can't remember exactly) damage while going at these speeds.

On the other hand, Le Terrible's 45knts figure was during trials over 8 hours long (far longer than any WoWs game), and at Washington displacement IIRC. Even to this day, it is still the fastest DD ever built if I'm not mistaken. The US refit is kinda irrelevant here, because Le Terrible would be a premium and likely (or rather hopefuly, I'm losing hope when it comes to WG and French ships) would be in her prerefit state.

I see no reason for for Le Terrible to not have its trial speed as base speed in the game. There's precedence for this, so I don't see how that makes me a ouiaboo. And let's be honest here, the main reason why most people are interested in Le Terrible as a premium instead of another member of the Le Fantasque-class is its insane speed. It would be completely BS to not have it as base speed, even if the speed boost as to be worse than other French DDs (or even other DDs in general).

Last edited by Mobius; 11-09-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Waiting for Tatsuta Kai Ni :<

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Well, the Le Terrible aside, testing begins for French BBaguettes. So lets see how it goes.

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Rep
    Mentioned
    1080 Post(s)
    Pictures of Bretagne from The Daily Bounce:

Curious about the firing angles of the third turret. It seems like it could have some pretty good angles in the above view, but there seems to be some superstructure restricting the forward firing angles in the side pictures.

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)

Yes pls
    @DLRevan
    Keep us posted!

(I know you can't)