Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)
    I got a feeling Lyon is going to be very nice for Tier VII. Angled, it looks like she can present 3/4 turrets for TWELVE gun salvos. If it is safer, she can show off 4/4 turrets for sending a SIXTEEN gun salvo!

SIXTEEENNN!

If the accuracy, sigma is enough, Lyon's small caliber gun, smaller than even KGV's 356mm guns, will pack a large multi-gun broadside to bag hits. If the guns behave well enough, this can make up for lots and lots of deficiencies. It is the same reason why I love my Fuso. Her accuracy isn't all that. Her speed, armor isn't all that. Her citadel is gargantuan. But man, 12 gun salvos are very forgiving as you just "shotgun" somebody and get hits. Lord help whoever is on the receiving end when RNG says, "You are blessed, my child" and you land lots of hits. It doesn't have to be "Yamato / Nagato Sniper Accurate," but if you throw enough shit, something's going to stick. That's why I like Fuso despite her flaws.

But 12-16 gun salvos is just lolworthy! Even if it's a smaller caliber.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    It should be 340mm guns, as designed. The French Navy had no 356mm guns designed before WWI, and went to Dunkerque's 330mm and Ritchie's 380mm post war. Then again, Lyon was a preliminary design constrained by slipway size and pressing needs.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1132 Post(s)
    WG EU has released the shots that had been pulled before.

Lyon (the big empty space between the second and third turret bothers me. It should have some AA there):

Sex Richelieu:

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Richelieu 2017-11-11 / Tatsuta 2018-01-18

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    @Mobius
    It's probably the seaplane hangar, and the two cranes are for putting said planes to sea, like Coma-chan... er, Commandant Teste?
    A Turret's very high barbette bothers me too.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1132 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK Lyon has no catapults however, so I don't see why it'd have a hangar.

I do have to agree with you regarding the barbette though. Honestly, I'm not feeling this ship. Seems like it'll be a meme ship rather than anything else.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Richelieu 2017-11-11 / Tatsuta 2018-01-18

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    @Mobius
    What would these giant cranes be for otherwise? To put the boats to sea? You surely don't need so big cranes for the smole botes next to them, and they can't reach the two big ones forward.

To be frank, I don't like Lyon either. It's a WWI design constrained by the need to cram as much firepower as possible in the slipways then available (195m if memory serves), hence why these ships are short and stubby, and why the General Staff was so eager to pick quad turrets. It is ugly, lacking the elegance of the post-WWI designs such as Dunkerque, Richelieu, Emile Bertin and Le Fantasque. The turret layout is impractical, and all French post WWI designs moved away from it. The cranes look like they've been lifted from Commandant Teste and the conning tower looks like a mishmash of Dunkerque's, Richelieu and Jean Bart's, with a side dish of Gangut. In a sense, it's the French Izumo.
    I wish they picked Gascogne as T7 instead. You'd have two quad 38cm guns, but in Graf Spee's arrangement, and you would need to show some broadside to use the aft turret.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1132 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK Well you have a top view of the ship, do you see a catapult anywhere? Unless the planes takes off directly from the water, I don't see how that could be hangar. Even helicopters wouldn't be able to take off from that platform.

And yeah, Gascogne or buffed Strasbourg would have been a much better choice than Lyon. I can't help but feel like WG caved in to the "16 guns ZOMG" meme wit that decision.

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    @Mobius
    I'm well aware of the lack of catapults. However, as one wise man once said, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth", I see no point for such giant cranes next to that superstructure for them to hoist mere boat. I do think then these cranes are to put the seaplanes in the water so that they take off from the sea, or to recover them. Sure, it makes no sense tactically, but the French navy staff thought Commandant Teste would be useful in fleet maneuvers too.

IGN
    Murrue
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Lyon is ugly as fuck.

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Did 16 guns become a meme thing.

Then I don't want it anymore.

16 guns BAD! Make the French great again!