Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event has started. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Red face Fresh KanColle addict reporting in!

Ahoy to all!

New player here. Delved into Kancolle a week ago (Sept 28) and I'm already hooked. There's so much stuff to digest that I've been spending half of the time browsing the wikis and guides rather than playing the game itself. And still I feel like I know less than 1% about all there is to know.

I first found out about Kancolle from the doujins. Then I discovered the anime, which I watched and - knowing literally nothing about the actual game itself - enjoyed a fair bit. That was all a couple of months back. About a week ago, I finally got an urge to try out the game as well. And lo, some 20+ minutes after creating an account, bypassing the region lock, joining a server and figuring out how to set up a viewer, I was playing Kancolle.

As for favorite ships, well... I only just started playing, so my frame of reference is pretty much limited to the anime. I like the four battleship sisters, the teacher, the stoic Russian destroyer, the secretary, the carrier with the ponytail, the poi girl... heck, too many to even mention.

I've been so absorbed with reading the wiki that I'm ashamed to admit I only found this forum yesterday. At any rate, I'm looking forward to browsing it for useful information and learning from the wisdom of veteran players.

Yoroshiku!

PS - as for questions (I have loads of them), is there a general ask-and-answer thread or should I just make a new thread myself?

IGN
    Ari-kun
    Server
    パラオ泊地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    830 Post(s)
    @friggo Didn't notice the new thread until now but welcome aboard Himeuta. You'll find quite a lot of useful stuff here when the wiki doesn't suffice. Let's see if I got things right: The 4 battleship sisters - Kongou, Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima; the teacher - Ashigara; the stoic Russian destroyer - Hibiki (Verniy); the secretary - Ooyodo; the carrier with the ponytail - Kaga; the poi girl - Yuudachi.

Also I saw some of your threads already so you seem to have found the help section. I hope the info has been useful to you so far.

"Without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock ticking"

Started: 11/14/14 LSC Graduation: 7/7/16 First Kandex Completion: 5/21/17
    Remaining EOS: Sagiri My K2 List

Rep
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    The secretary ship in anime is Nagato, and the anime itself basically retells the Battle of Wake Island and advances in Truk in preparation for Operation MO (Port Moresby).
    The latter was cancelled halfway due to an air raid (similar to Doolittle Raid) and was changed to Operation MI (Midway Island). The Operation MI was especially cringeworthy during the final episode.

It's fairly standard plot for an anime if the moefication is their main point, but then the Abyssal Fleet were intelligent to some degree while the plot relegates them as enemies for an unexplained lore. Combined with all sorts of "what could've been" and blatant disregard of game mechanics in favor of realism, there are critics everywhere that debates on everything but it's not the best anime around.
    The movie rectifies this to some degree, but of course, the Abyssal's lore can be summed as "the malice of ships sunken arisen from deep abyss", since the game don't have any lore for them either.

Fubuki is okay as MC until she gets overly smitten to Akagi, considering that neither ship had anything to do with each other back when they were IJN ships.
    And even though Fubuki was touted as Special-type destroyer, everyone except Mutsuki and Kisaragi were essentially her successors. The movie makes it a bit of her plot point, but you'd be better off watching the movie for that.

Now, about the game, the game now has over 200 shipgirls to collect and counting, with a few shipgirls from foreign nations, including two ships from USA and England each.
    Near the end of each season, there will be a seasonal event going on. Your top priority right now is to raise a fleet strong enough to participate in them, and raise enough resources to feed them.
    Forturnately, the next event is relatively small-scale, so it would have ~3-4 maps compared to the previous one which has what is effectively 11 in 7 maps. Also, the upcoming event will feature Suzutsuki, the third ship of the highly valuable Akizuki-class.

The Akizuki-class are AA-oriented destroyer, and are hands down are the best AA ships in-game (though Maya has much higher night battle firepower, she not getting her best AACI until Level 75).
    If you missed Suzutsuki, you and your shipgirls will be in a world of hurt trying to farm her sisters, so you'd better resist your LSC urges until then, because it would ground newbie Admirals, regardless if you got Yamato, Bismarck, or whatever awesome shipgirls from them.

I have a lot more to say, but I think this sums up what you need to know for now. Good luck and... report to the battle stations immediately.

Last edited by LostLogia4; 10-09-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).

IGN
    Ari-kun
    Server
    パラオ泊地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    830 Post(s)
    @LostLogia4 I forgot about that one part, which indeed points out Nagato as secretary ship. I got sidelined by the fact that the admiral figure is always an off-screen entity so I ended up always seeing Nagato as the "stand-in commander". Ah an Suzutsuki should be the 4th Akizuki class in-game by then.

Last edited by Ghoulvarine; 10-09-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    "Without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock ticking"

Started: 11/14/14 LSC Graduation: 7/7/16 First Kandex Completion: 5/21/17
    Remaining EOS: Sagiri My K2 List