Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event has started. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Question Inquisitive beginner, many questions

Hi!

I just started playing KanColle a week ago and I've got a million questions. Hopefully you can help me with a few.

1. Reading the guides, it seems that 1-5 is a suggested leveling spot for players below level 40. I've been using the first 3 nodes to level up some destroyers, but I wonder what would be the optimal strategy here. So the question is: if you were under level 40, what would you do to get the most out of 1-5 leveling?

2. I need help with planes. It's kinda overwhelming how many variables there are. I first thought there are only the three types (green, red, blue) and maybe some upgrades, but looking at the wiki, it's like there's a million different kinds. So, for example, what do the markings mean? (blue vertical lines and golden lines on planes) And what planes should be put on a carrier (again, looking at the wiki, people don't seem to use the red (dive bomber?) planes). And does it matter what order you fill in the slots of the carrier?

Those are the most pressing ones for now, I'm bound to have more later.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4758 Post(s)
    1. You can minmax 1-5 levelling by having a ship loaded with ASW as the flagship so she consistently gets MVP. ASW means sonars, depth charges and depth charge projectors. You can craft the former two by using 10/31/10/31 with a destroyer flagship.

2. The markings are proficiency. Those go up as you use the planes without letting them get obliterated. The markings go |, ||, |||, /, //, ///, >>; with >> obviously giving the biggest bonuses. All you roughly need to know about proficiency is that >> adds 9 to the dive bomb/torpedo stat of bombers and 25 to fighter power for fighters.

You generally put enough fighters on carries to hit the fighter power value needed to get air superiority (AS) or air supremacy (AS+) at the map you sortie to. Fighters go into your carrier's smallest slots. Torpedo bombers go into the biggest slots. A torpedo bomber should also be in the top slot of your carrier since a >> bomber will give your carrier a 10% crit damage bonus in that slot. Dive bombers are mostly relegated to support expeditions due to how damage is calculated in the game.

Rep
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Something else regarding planes, the new CV cut in mechanic, if you equip a CV/CVL with at least one squadron of torp, dive bomber and fighter they can execute a cut in attack during day battles.

Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Thanks for the helpful replies

I've got another question that's giving me grief, although being so new to the game I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Basically, from my early browsing of the wiki, I got the idea that medals are quite valuable since you can only get a limited amount each month, so I tried hard to complete the 1-5 map despite only having played the game for 2 days. Anyway, the wiki says that "Monthly quests reset on the first day of each month at 05:00 JST" and by some miracle, I managed to clear 1-5 with fifteen minutes to spare, but the quest hasn't reset.

What am I doing wrong? I took a screenshot of the 1-5 clear, but I can't seem to be able to attach it without shrinking it down to ant-size.

Rep
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    @friggo

You can only get one medal a month from a special event map like 1-5, thus you as you progress you will need to farm the extra maps monthly maps for medals along with some of the arsenal quests. Those medals come in handy later for certain Kai Ni refits and equipment upgrades thru quests.

Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arv View Post
    @friggo

You can only get one medal a month from a special event map like 1-5, thus you as you progress you will need to farm the extra maps monthly maps for medals along with some of the arsenal quests. Those medals come in handy later for certain Kai Ni refits and equipment upgrades thru quests.
    I understand that, but my question was about the quest timer.

I completed the quest at 4:45 JST on October 1 and got the medal. But the wiki says that all monthly quests reset at 5:00 on the first day of the month, so why can't I do the quest again?

IGN
    Chia
    Server
    Saiki Bay
    Rep
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    @friggo
    Not sure about your location, but it could just not work because you did the missions on October 1, but in Japan it was already October 2 (time zones and such)

Signature by Fog

Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chia View Post
    @friggo
    Not sure about your location, but it could just not work because you did the missions on October 1, but in Japan it was already October 2 (time zones and such)
    I set my computer time to JST when I first registered the account and haven't changed it since. Here's the screenie: https://imgur.com/3NBWhZX.png

I did, however, figure out the problem. The answer was actually buried in the description of another quest. Apparently, although the monthly quests reset at 5:00 JST on the 1st, the special extra maps reset at 23:59 on the last day of the month. So basically, I thought I made it with 15 minutes to spare, but I was actually about 5 hours late. Sadface.

Thanks for replying, anyways.

Rep
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    @friggo

The forum has an autocrop function for screenshots. Usually it should still be big enough though.

Twitch
    Schedule:
    Thursday 17:00~21:00 UTC | Friday: 18:00~22:00 UTC
    Saturday: 16:00~Open end UTC | Sunday: 16:00~21:00 UTC

Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Alright, so I've been doing a lot of wiki reading and it seems that Akashi is an important ship to have. However, my strongest ships are currently at around level 30. Should I even be thinking about doing 2-5 to try and obtain her?