Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)

Saratoga and Saury Patch Quests Help/Advice

Had some RL stuff, etc. so not completely up to date on everything. I did managed to keep up with monthly EO's daily/weekly/monthly quests, but resources not great. :/ Also managed to get all the Saury I need, but need to finish up the quests choices ASAP (and "cook the fish" Need to remember that) since the patch is ending in a couple of days. Since I'm asking, throwing in Saratoga Patch quest reward questions as well. As always, any help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Honestly, I've not kept super up to date on the latest CV mechanics so knowledge is a bit sparse on that. That does factor in with some of the quest reward choices. Given resources, I'm not 100% sure if I can get all the Saratoga quests done before next event (F63 is extremely unlikely if not impossible), but will try to get most done - certainly the B105 & B106 sortie quest (and hopefully F61 & F62 as well). "OT" a bit, but if there are some good threads on the new CV mechanics, links are appreciated since I plan to try and get up to speed before next event.

I THINK I've got the best choices planned, but there's definitely (IMO) some "Tanaka mind reading" fortune-telling with this. I mean, DE as luck (and HP in some cases) mod fodder? Who knew or even would would suspect? Not me as I've used at least 2 if not 3 spare DE in the past as mod fodder. *SIGH* Frankly, I still have 4x Amatsukaze Kai I farmed for high-pressure boilers because who knows? Maybe Amatsukaze will suddenly be able to increase evasion if used as modernization fodder. At this point, why not? That's where I am right now. Anyway, much rather be safe and gets the plan reviewed. Also, this leads me to an important, potentially time-sensitive question:

Do the extra DE mod fodder benefits expire with the end of the Saury Festival Patch!?

From what I can tell, the extra stat mod benefits from DE are planned to be a permanent mechanic, but the exact details/benefits are subject to potential revision. I think that's the current take. Still plans can change - again, who knows. Maybe Tanaka goes "nah, this isn't such a great idea after all" and the extra stat benefits go away. I've managed to farm two extra Etorofu (so no HP bonus for me I guess. Be nice to have those other spare DE around ) which I THINK still gives minor luck mod bonus. Plan to use them on Yuudachi (next luck mod project) or maybe Maya Kai ni(???) - one of the two, BUT since I do have some roster space I could hold on to both and see if I get more DE (esp. not named Etorofu) in next event or whenever.

Question: (A)
    Should I used the two spare Etorofu for mod fodder before next patch (i.e. next two days) to be safe (and on Yuudachi or Maya Kai ni), or OK/safe to hold on to them and see if I get more/others DE? (B) Best to use both at the same time or one at a time? Not sure how it works with one DE vs. multiple DE outside of need two different DE to get HP boost.

Next Question: Is there any consensus on better to go with Saratoga Mk II or MkII Mod. 2 as the version to keep? Normally I'd say Mod 2 > Mk.II given more aircraft and CVB , BUT seems you lose the ability to do night combat without Night Operation Personnel (like any other CV(L/)B). At this point, I've got to stick with Mk II version until I complete B106 (AFIAK - F61-F63 can use any CV let alone any version of Saratoga). After that, if the clear consensus is that Mod.2 is the better version to keep, I'd like to get that done before next event (fully modernize and all that).

On to the quest rewards questions in the spoiler below. Sorry for the length, but I figured it was best to err on the side of thoroughness even though I have most of my picks figured out. Hopefully at least the format is easy to read.

[+] Spoiler

Saury Patch Quests (again, already have enough Saury to complete these, Just have to activate and choose rewards)

SB02:

• Choice #1: Daihatsu, WG42 or "Planemat"
      • Planned Pick: "Planemat"
      • Comment: I have 14x Daihatsu and 7x WG42. Don't need more daihatsu and I'd like to think that 7x WG42 has me covered (never used all 7 of those). I suppose "you never know" and you do have to go U-511 farmng for more, but still... I have 3 planemats currently which is just enough for F61-F63. This would be an extra one. However, I expect those to be needed in the future and having extra allows me some flexibility if these are offered in more "choose your reward" situations. Pretty easy choice here IMO.

• Choice #2: 2x Swordfish, 2x Shiden Kai2 or Skilled Crew Member.
      • Planned Pick: 2x Shiden Kai2.
      • Comment: I have 7x Shiden K2 in stock for modernization fodder, which may or may not be enough, but 99.99% sure I'll need more later anyway (ideally I'd have F6F-5N AND a max improved F6F-5. RIP improvemats). You can build Shiden K2 of course, but about 2% chance from looking at KC-DB and the last thing I need/want is more bauxite black hole given Type 32 RADAR construction woes. Got 12x Skilled Crew members so good there. I also have 3x "standard/default" model Swordfish as well. Normally a simple choice, but... my impression is that Tanaka sure likes his Swordfish (why 2 rather than 1 as a reward?) so any chance we get some random "Surprise!! You can now use Swordfish fodder to amp up some really good planes" type of deal in the future, or am I reading too much into things?

SB03:

• Choice between Type 124 ASDIC & TBF.
      • Planned Pick: Type 124 ASDIC. Probably. Maybe. Not sure.
      • Comment: I have 3x Type 4 SONAR (at +4) and 4x Type 3 SONAR (at +4) so no real pressing need for ASDIC. SONAR. Still, it IS useful (I would use it on occasion) - more so if cheap to improve, and while not very likely, it is possible that extra +1 ASW vs. Type 3 (I have run out of Type 4 a few times) is exactly the +1 more ASW I need to get some DD/CL to 100 ASW for OASW. Need one TBF for Quest F62, but planning on getting that from Quest A80 (see below). Default TBF stats are not good enough IMO to the point I'd ever use a TBF over something else (unless I'm missing something) = no reason to get a second outside of collection except... "Tanaka fortunetelling" (yes, it's a theme). Maybe we get another TBM-3D quest. Definitely would not mind a 2nd TBM-3D. If there is another quest, 99% sure there will also be another quest to get a TBF, but is it "pick TBF or pick Reppuu Kai" situation, or "pick TBF or pick combat ration". So which to get? ASDIC that is useful to some degree, or second TBF which will gather dust waiting on a potentially good upgrade? Thoughts?

Saratoga Patch Quests

A80:

• Choice #1: F6F-3 or F4U-1D.
      • Planned Pick: F4U-1D. Want this even though I have Iwai M62.
      • Comment: Unless this is just an outright stupid pick I'm going with the F4U-1D, especially since this may be the only chance to get one. Also, again not sure about all the details, but I think fighter-bombers have some increased utility with the new CVCI (day) mechanic. Have the F6F-3 I need for Quest F61 already (upgraded one F4F-4) and will get a second for Quest F63 from Quest B105 (see below). So cost here is having to upgrade my remaining F4F-4 to a third F6F-3 for my goal of a max improved F6F-5 fighter some point in the future. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be an F6F-3 reward again later.

• Choice #2: TBF or "Planemat".
      • Planned Pick: TBF
      • Comment: Need one TBF and this is a low cost alternative. Easy decision.

B105:

• Choice #1: F6F-3, Skilled Crew Member, or Planemat.
    • Planned Pick: F6F-3:
    • Comment: Easy choice as per above I've got enough of the other two. .

• Choice #2: TBF or Night Operations Personnel
      • Planned Pick: Night Operations Personal... I think.
      • Comment: Fairly sure this is the way to go, but not entirely. First, NOT 100% down with all the NB CVCI details. AFAIK, unless Saratoga MkII (but NOT Mod2) you need this along with NB planes on all other CV (and Saratog MkII. Mod.2) to get NB CVCI. Is that correct? If so, then while B106 Quest offers the better Night Ops version, having a 2nd one isn't a bad thing (or am I over-valuing NB CVCI?). OTOH, still need at least one NB plane (and more than 1/certain combo's better) and at best I'd have 3 NB planes = one Night Ops Personnel has me covered until I get more NB planes (then maybe a second TBF on hand per above for upgrade isn't a bad idea). Thoughts?

B106:

• Choice #1: TBF (again - mean anything?) or Night Operation Aviation Personnel + Skilled Deckhands or Planemat
      • Planned Pick: Night Operation Aviation Personnel + Skilled Deckhands
      • Comment: Easy decision here.

• Choice #2: Reinforcement Expansion, Planemat or Skilled Crew Member
      • Planned Pick: Eh... maybe planemat so I have two spares though always nice to have more reinforcement expansions as we all know. I'll get one of the two.

Last edited by goesto11; 10-15-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    1. No, I highly doubt this will be a time limited mechanics, given that tanaka said they will let us get de in a usual basis. And using de for pure luck mod is a waste.

2. Don't know about the success rate. It is difficult to test for obvious reason. All I can say is that hp modding can fail even when you feed 2 pairs of kai de at the same time, as we have already seen some unfortunate examples already.

3. Keep her at mkii till you have enough f6f for both night fighter quest, since mod 2 cannot improve f4f series.

After you are done, my personal preference is to keep her at mod2, since I could only see mkii being useful when you are one fighter away from AS in a single fleet map (aka very high fighter power requirement) . Regular map wise only 6-5 falls in that category.

For more cv ci related info, I have a thread in the general discussion section.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 E6653 發送

The sexiest bridge ever made.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @211303 Thanks for the reply. OK so almost, if not 100% certain, the DE stat boost stuff will stay in some form. And yes, lot of testing to go it seems.

Re. Saratoga: Mod.2 is what looked like the better version to me. You do give up the CV NB attack without needing Night Ops, Personnel. That free extra slot is valuable, but then how great/how often will I use CV NB load out? Not the greatest stuff when it comes to the NB airplanes vs. other aircraft stats. Definitely give and take. Also, only good for single fleets unless I'm missing something new.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I don't understand your comment: "I could only see mkii being useful when you are one fighter away from AS in a single fleet map (aka very high fighter power requirement) . Regular map wise only 6-5 falls in that category."

Sara Mod.2 has higher plane capacity = greater airpower potential. MkII & Mod.2 both have a 24 size slot #2, but Mod.2 has larger sizes for all other slots. So not seeing the benefit to Mk.II in terms of AS unless you mean that since Mk.II has higher FP, that helps when you only have one bomber equipped and the rest fighters. Still, perhaps I'm mistaken but to me the biggest adv. for Mk.II over Mod.2 is increased CV NB ability, and see above about not sure at all how valuable that really is. Seems very situational to me - not enough to give up large capacity CVB.

Good point about the F4F upgrade. Frankly, I do not know WHY player can't use Mod.2 to upgrade F4F as well, but Thanks Tanaka. >_> Mentioned in the spoiler part of my initial post that, I'd like to eventually, somehow get a F6F-5 +10 (max) fighter since after M53 Iwamoto, best I have is +11 AA stuff. However, with rewards I've planned to take, that means I'd have to upgrade my remaining F4F-4 (after that, just one F4F-3).

Question: Do you recommend I go ahead and upgrade my remaining F4F-4 to a 3rd F6F? Planning on doing quest F63 for F6F-5N at some point so there's 2x F6Fs (Quest F61 needs one). Actually, any thoughts on whether F6F-5N worth it at all and/or should I reverse completion order -> i.e. get an F6F-5 +10 and keep that, then work on a second one for Quest F63. If I'm going to upgrade another F4F-4, best to get on it right now.

As for DE mod fodder: Fair enough. +1 luck isn't much, but it's better than nothing, and I didn't want to potentially lose out if there was any risk of DE mod fodder stat boost going away. Per above, seems that it's here to stay in some form or function. Hope so. Sorry don't have complete faith in Tanaka & Co. At any rate, I'll just get both Etorofu copies to kai and stash away.

I guess the HP boost is the major draw/benefit here in your opinion? If so, then +2 HP max boost should be used on which ships ideally? I'll have to get more/different DE fodder, but my initial thought was use on Yuudachi K2 (not luck modded and ASW boost won't go to waste either), but then there's the whole "overkill protection" debate. Haven't checked if there's a designated thread for this subject (DE mod fodder) or not, but will root around the forum when I have some extra time.

Thanks for the notice about the designated CVCI thread. I'll be sure to review it.

Last edited by goesto11; 10-16-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    @goesto11
    Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I don't understand your comment: "I could only see mkii being useful when you are one fighter away from AS in a single fleet map (aka very high fighter power requirement) . Regular map wise only 6-5 falls in that category."

Sara Mod.2 has higher plane capacity = greater airpower potential. MkII & Mod.2 both have a 24 size slot #2, but Mod.2 has larger sizes for all other slots. So not seeing the benefit to Mk.II in terms of AS unless you mean that since Mk.II has higher FP, that helps when you only have one bomber equipped and the rest fighters. Still, perhaps I'm mistaken but to me the biggest adv. for Mk.II over Mod.2 is increased CV NB ability, and see above about not sure at all how valuable that really is. Seems very situational to me - not enough to give up large capacity CVB.
    Well, for example, compare MKII with TBM/F6F-3N/F6F-5N/random fighter and Mod 2 with TBM/F6F-3N/F6F-5N/NOAP, it is clear that the MKII form will provide more fighter power simply because of the chevron bonus. They will have roughly the same night damage as well. The extra slot is not just helpful in this build, but it could potentially free up extra slot for more bomber in your fleet. Pretty much a case by case scenario.

Check the NB CI thread. I have demonstrated there the night damage difference of both form. My view on this matter remains: Use MK II when the extra fighter in the 4th slot could is essential, otherwise Mod 2.

Question: Do you recommend I go ahead and upgrade my remaining F4F-4 to a 3rd F6F? Planning on doing quest F63 for F6F-5N at some point so there's 2x F6Fs (Quest F61 needs one). Actually, any thoughts on whether F6F-5N worth it at all and/or should I reverse completion order -> i.e. get an F6F-5 +10 and keep that, then work on a second one for Quest F63. If I'm going to upgrade another F4F-4, best to get on it right now.
    Definitely get both night fighter, preferably before next event. Again, read the CV CI thread and you will know how much it affect night damage. As for F6F-5 +10, well, just look up the actual cost of it and consider whether you can afford for it.

I guess the HP boost is the major draw/benefit here in your opinion? If so, then +2 HP max boost should be used on which ships ideally? I'll have to get more/different DE fodder, but my initial thought was use on Yuudachi K2 (not luck modded and ASW boost won't go to waste either), but then there's the whole "overkill protection" debate. Haven't checked if there's a designated thread for this subject (DE mod fodder) or not, but will root around the forum when I have some extra time.
    I have discussed the recommended choices in the saury event thread here.

Something I want to clarify though, while it is unlikely that the DE modding system would be removed, details of this system (ie rate of increase, max amount of hp increase, etc) might change in the future, as hinted in this tweet:

IGN
    Ferreae
    Server
    鹿屋基地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Ahaha, that was the confusion some of us head. You were talking AP while also being ready to night fight. Some of us took it as 'in general use' and were confused.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @211303 OK, so you're talking about NB CVCI situations which makes sense because as you note, Mk.II doesn't need NOAP = free slot. Like @Ferreae, I was thinking in more global terms - sans NB CV load out. Usually if I have trouble with 6-5, it's retreats, not at the boss node so NB CVCI not a big deal there for me.

I've got the NB CVCI thread and now the Saury/DE Mod patch thread (LOT of info there. Thanks.) bookmarked and will definitely go over them a couple times since there's a lot to digest. I did skim the Saury/DE Mod thread and the testing on overkill protection. No plans to marry Poi and my Ayanami is already more sufficiently luck modded, but I guess potentially wasting +1 luck is de minimus vs. the better odds for less taiha on her so she's first choice for "4n+1" (i.e. 33hp). Same goes for Yukikaze I guess as well. After that... IDK, but can pick up that discussion in the Saury/DE Mod thread along with any other questions.

UGH. I don't think I can get both F6F-3N and F6F-5N. Quest F61 & F62 is about it. Only 3x per week chance to upgrade that. Already had to do one FF F4F-4 upgrade by doing 2-3x upgrades/day during the days that are available because of the (IMO) stupid limitation for Sara Mk.II F4-F upgrading. Devs could easily lessen day restrictions on that if they wanted (let alone Mod 2 could upgrade F4F). Is what it is, but having to double up on more daily improvement isn't helping with improvemat supply. Already, that's been a lingering issue (and will remain I'm sure). Right now, my F6F-3 is only at +2. :<

I have looked up the cost and it's NOT cheap, but neither are other high end items. Est. improvemat costs for me is 209 from F4F-4 to F6F-5 +10 (I generally don't gamble above +6 unless fodder is easy/cheap and lot of RNG & bauxite cost to spam out Shiden K2 and Reppuu, especially when I need to stockpile for event and still have bunch of Type 32 RADAR to build (though I might get planes while going for RADAR)). As it stands, will have little improvement fodder completing F61. +10 F6F-5 can be done, but a looong term project for sure. Still, If I'm adding that to the overall plan given stupid Sara Mod.2 improvement restrictions, might as well get started on at least upgrading the F4F-4 to F6F-3 now.

Problem I have is that I'm struggling with how to rank F6F-5 +10 in terms of overall improvement priority vs. other items and in context of my current fighters. Things like 16"/50 Mk.7+GFCS, 20.3cm (No.3), Quint/Sextuple Oxy, etc. are high priority (IMO), but here? Not sure vs. say finishing off 16"/50+GFCS (at +7), Proto 51cm Twin (at +4), 41cm Kai (luxury item most likely), 25mm Concentrated (none improved), SPF (none improved, but do have 3 SPF with +5 AA). If this is a high priority improvement item, then OK, I'll do it. Not so much, then go on to some other things and/or stockpile improvemats.

Oh, I guess I should also add the "longevity factor" or possibility of being obsolete. Probably not really obsolete at +12, but well, say Re.2005 is later added to Akashi Improvemnet, and/or we get some other good fighter (e.g. F4U fighter variant, not fighter-bomber) with high stats (+11 or +12). Seafury anyone (or is that a "fighter-bomber" type)? You get the idea. Given cost (including fodder spamming), lot of expense if I get the fortunetelling wrong.

Not covered, but I do wonder what you think of getting a 2nd TBF now "just in case" since NB CVCI seems to have some promise. Plan right now is to only get what I need (one TBF) given only one TBM-3D upgrade quest. Seems the ASDIC may have some synergy gimmick later. I'll get the better NOAP for sure, but getting ASDIC leaves the only real option to get a 2nd TBF by forgoing the basic NOAP = kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Need that AND enough NB planes to go around for 2 NON Sara Mk.II. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by goesto11; 10-17-2017 at 05:45 AM.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    @goesto11
    Problem I have is that I'm struggling with how to rank F6F-5 +10 in terms of overall improvement priority vs. other items and in context of my current fighters. Things like 16"/50 Mk.7+GFCS, 20.3cm (No.3), Quint/Sextuple Oxy, etc. are high priority (IMO), but here? Not sure vs. say finishing off 16"/50+GFCS (at +7), Proto 51cm Twin (at +4), 41cm Kai (luxury item most likely), 25mm Concentrated (none improved), SPF (none improved, but do have 3 SPF with +5 AA). If this is a high priority improvement item, then OK, I'll do it. Not so much, then go on to some other things and/or stockpile improvemats.
    I just used up all my shiden k2 for F6F-5N. I have no intention to build 2 dozen more anytime soon. It is probably going to be a top tier plane for a long time, but screw and shiden are scarce.

Not covered, but I do wonder what you think of getting a 2nd TBF now "just in case" since NB CVCI seems to have some promise. Plan right now is to only get what I need (one TBF) given only one TBM-3D upgrade quest. Seems the ASDIC may have some synergy gimmick later. I'll get the better NOAP for sure, but getting ASDIC leaves the only real option to get a 2nd TBF by forgoing the basic NOAP = kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Need that AND enough NB planes to go around for 2 NON Sara Mk.II. Thoughts?
    I got ASDIC for kandex and the possible ASDIC related asw reform hinted by the dev, although we are likely going to get one soon from the British DD anyway. Pretty much the same assumption that you can get more TBF if more night bomber quest is available. Either case it would be a gamble, whether you think it is more likely to get to have more TBM quest or if base ASDIC would be useful.

The NOAP/TBF choice is much easier to make. NOAP all the way/

Last edited by 211303; 10-17-2017 at 04:58 PM.