Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
    IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)

Ship Discussion: USS Kidd

I was sure there already was a thread for the USS Kidd, but searching turns empty.

Anyway, the Kidd has finally come to town, and here is Little White Mouse's review. It's a blast to read.

Her verdict:

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    883 Post(s)
    • Like USS Sims before her, she's going to be doomed to mediocrity in Randoms. A lot of people will pick her up, wonder why all of the CCs were enthusiastic about her and let her collect dust in their ports if they bothered to pick her up at all. Then someone's going to rockstar with her in Ranked or some other competitive mode and everyone and their mother will suddenly want one.

Take all my feels and internets LWM.....

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)
    I very much enjoy my Sims though, she's an awesome cap contester. Grab the enemy lolibotes by the pu.... er, belt, and take them for a dance while showering them with your 5-incher's attentions. She's speedy and quick on the rudder, which means you can litteraly dance around the enemy shells, and you never outturn your guns.

Rep
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    I read her review on Kidd 30 minutes after she posted it in NA forums. It's a conflicting final assessment considering what this ship gives up for Repair Party.

Who AA Specs a Tier VIII+ DD?

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)
    Kidd gives up a lot of torpedo power in exchange for more cap contesting power, and the Defensive AA is a deterrent against the CVs. Also, unlike the Soviets, you have Heal and USN Smoke.

Rep
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK I still forked out and got her. You're talking to a guy that bought Krispy Kreme : )

The Benson Torps and 1 torp launcher is a big limiter with the ship in dishing out "World Ending Alpha Damage." That single launcher is also on a long CD so it's very crippling in total damage she can do. There were times I was playing Kidd that I was in a position and thought, "If I was in my Benson / Lo Yang / Fletcher right now, this guy would be dead." With 1 torp launcher it's just not as big a torp threat.

The AA? Circumstantial at best. How many CVs do you see at Tier VIII+? Not many. LWM showed the graphic where Kidd's AA gets higher than even NC if you have BFT+DF+MFCAA running, but again, how many CVs do you see at high tier? Are you willing to put that many points into AA? However, if you do division up with buddies that do CVs, I can see Kidd really shining. She has a much stronger AA suite than Hull-C Benson.

The sluggish rudder shift is a thing. Consider with SGM2 fitted these Turning Circles and Rudder Shift Time:
    Benson 570m, 2.1s
    Kidd 620m, 3.1s
    Kidd is just clumsier.

Stealth is equal with Benson at Tier VIII.

The saving grace is Kidd's staying power due to Repair Party. The only other DDs with Repair Party are RU DDs and they have to give up smoke to get it. Kidd gets USN DD smoke while keeping Repair Party (in place of Engine Boost). The ability to heal lets Kidd recover from mistakes, engagements and get into better fighting condition for later. IMO, where Kidd really shines best is mid-late match. Any DDs not dead from the initial culling at the start of the match tend to be banged up. If the Kidd user has been savvy in preserving the ship, that is when she can muscle other DDs. Other DDs that take damage? It's lasting. Once they take it there's nothing they can do. Kidd can repair itself and engage these banged up DDs. Some RU DDs get repair party but again, they give up smoke and they don't do the same things expected out of a stealthier DD. They're more "Light Cruiser" than they are Stealth DDs trying to contest caps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    • Like USS Sims before her, she's going to be doomed to mediocrity in Randoms. A lot of people will pick her up, wonder why all of the CCs were enthusiastic about her and let her collect dust in their ports if they bothered to pick her up at all. Then someone's going to rockstar with her in Ranked or some other competitive mode and everyone and their mother will suddenly want one.

Take all my feels and internets LWM.....
    LOL that was exactly what happened with Sims! At first nobody really wanted her but then one of those Tier VII Ranked Seasons came around and she gained prominence. WG got real smart at NA server. They saw the hype Sims had built up that season and after Ranked ended, guess what ship hit the Premium Shop?

Say what you want about WG, but they know how to make their money.

Last edited by M.A.Mitscher; 11-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3755 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Mitscher View Post
    @Keyan_TTK I still forked out and got her. You're talking to a guy that bought Krispy Kreme : )
    To be honest, I did expect you to buy the USN kiddie bote.