Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event has started. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)

Near-miss disasters shortly before Surigao event

Just three days before the Fall 2017 Event, I've experienced two rather inauspicious circumstances. I'll be explaining both of them in detail.

The first one is the I/O freeze that happened with little to no warning at twilight yesterday, causing the computer to hang. This caused the booster quota to expire before I could upload the new game assets to one of the Wikia I administrated. It took me a little while until I realized that my external HDD (which has been with me for years) isn't going to last much longer. This had set my reserves back by 350 bucks, so it'll be a tad harder for me to afford some of the games I've set to purchase.
    While migrating to my new drive, I've kept an old cache folder that racked up nearly 300k files in a single folder for a stupid reason.

The second one is that my parents had set off a disaster chain that had nearly burned down our house (which I've lived in all my life and is inherited from my late grandfather, no less). The chain goes as follows:
    • This morning, my dad turned our newfangled AV receiver to radio mode, so I assumed that he knew how to change it back (Except he didn't, which sets up the disaster).
    • I've decided to buy the replacement external HDD today, but I forgot to bring my wallet when I was at Netcafe near it, so I had to return home before I go the store to buy it.
    • I had to renew one of my ATM card due to imminent expiry, which delays my return to the home. Had I returned home earlier, or never away from home, it would just another day of my mom tattling me with "how to use remote control" user support.
    • My mom decided to ask my dad how to change it back to TV mode, since apparently even my sibling doesn't know. And as it happens my dad is cooking (yes, he can cook)... at a gas stove that can spout really high flames. And you know that it's a terrible idea to be away from these kind of stove. Except that my mom didn't know, and it escaped my dad's thought at the moment.
    • So she finally decides to bother me with changing the AV mode back... right when the fire happened. Luckily the fire was put out very quickly (although it had smoked up a good part of the house).
    • The good-old couple arguing happen again, this time with a blame-game, no less. And in the end, I had to taught them how to turn it back in a bad mood (it was improvised learning on my part). And deal with a smoky bedroom.

With all that happened today, it could probably be worse, which thankfully didn't happen. It's the one thing I'm grateful to God and Buddha for.
    But still, I can't help but worried about the bad omen that happened on this day...

Last edited by LostLogia4; 11-14-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).

Rep
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    @LostLogia4

Don't be so down.....as you have said things can be worse so be grateful that things stop at that (can be worse like gas stove giveout bigger fire and maybe burn nearby oil and cables next, water leakout with electric flow going on water while everyone wear nothing and foot and get fried)

For anything else, hear no evil.

http://www.himeuta.net/signaturepics/sigpic13355_2.gif

Rep
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    And so I'm currently migrating my data to new drive... except that transferring 900GB worth of data is not a task that could be done quickly, especially since I have lots of files...
    Seems like it's gonna take a while.

Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).