Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Question Early event preparation for Winter 2018

With about a month to go until the Winter 2018 event, I thought I'd ask for some pointers to better prepare for it. My goal is to clear the event on normal, although I don't mind dropping down to easy for the final maps if they prove to be too taxing. I also plan to farm like crazy for any ships I don't have (still missing a lot of them).

I managed to get quite a few new ships from the previous event, such as Nagato and tons of destroyers, so I've been leveling them pretty hard since then. I also got Musashi after the LSC rate-up.

Anyway, here are my historical ships and the questions:

1. The main one: should I keep leveling certain ships, or go to full stockpiling-mode? While I'm really glad that I spent so much time/resources on getting my fleet ready for Fall 2017, I also ran out of resources by the end of the event - I literally had 48 fuel left after my last sortie. And I'm guessing that the upcoming event will be bigger than Fall. Currently still below softcap on everything except bauxite.
    2. Should I do the Suzuya quest in 5-3 now, or wait until the return of the spoon? I remember the yasen nodes being quite draining on both my sanity and resources.
    3. I've built my first seaplane fighter with Akashi and am currently in the process of building a second. Should I go for a third one before the event begins (for a total of 4 with Suzuya's Kyoufuu Kai), or instead use the screws to upgrade my new duck guns, 20.3(3) guns, etc?
    4. Having never even attempted 5-5, I probably should save the resources and not bother with the final new year's quest, right? (only have 1 armored carrier, no jets, no married ships, no holepunches, no OASW-destroyer, etc)

Thanks in advance

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5025 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by friggo View Post
    With about a month to go until the Winter 2018 event, I thought I'd ask for some pointers to better prepare for it. My goal is to clear the event on normal, although I don't mind dropping down to easy for the final maps if they prove to be too taxing. I also plan to farm like crazy for any ships I don't have (still missing a lot of them).

I managed to get quite a few new ships from the previous event, such as Nagato and tons of destroyers, so I've been leveling them pretty hard since then. I also got Musashi after the LSC rate-up.

Anyway, here are my historical ships and the questions:

1. The main one: should I keep leveling certain ships, or go to full stockpiling-mode? While I'm really glad that I spent so much time/resources on getting my fleet ready for Fall 2017, I also ran out of resources by the end of the event - I literally had 48 fuel left after my last sortie. And I'm guessing that the upcoming event will be bigger than Fall. Currently still below softcap on everything except bauxite.
    2. Should I do the Suzuya quest in 5-3 now, or wait until the return of the spoon? I remember the yasen nodes being quite draining on both my sanity and resources.
    3. I've built my first seaplane fighter with Akashi and am currently in the process of building a second. Should I go for a third one before the event begins (for a total of 4 with Suzuya's Kyoufuu Kai), or instead use the screws to upgrade my new duck guns, 20.3(3) guns, etc?
    4. Having never even attempted 5-5, I probably should save the resources and not bother with the final new year's quest, right? (only have 1 armored carrier, no jets, no married ships, no holepunches, no OASW-destroyer, etc)

Thanks in advance
    1. Can't say for now. We should get the first bunch of hints from Comptiq next week.

Winter event traditionally starts in early-mid February, so you still got plenty of time. Even if it is a extra large 7 map event, 3 weeks is more than enough for stockpiling, judging from your rate of progress.

Ship wise, you seem to be pretty good for a normal clear, and possibly some hard mode as well. Don't know about your equipment, but if there is some balant weakness, now is the time to improve that.

2. You can. You just need it in the event, so might as well clear it in the first day where you wait for info. The quest follows it gives you a rather nice gun, but it requires more bp for suzuya cvl conversion, and clearing 6-5, so not something you can do anytime soon.

3. 4 is good enough for normal mode.

4. Well, none of the rewards are essential, so you can skip it if you are not able to deal with 5-5 yet. Make sure you clear the first 3 though, especially the one that gives Raiden.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.

IGN
    Ferreae
    Server
    鹿屋基地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    @friggo

Regarding #4... using 2 cvb, 2 cv, no holepunch, no jets, no married ships, and an oASW dessie that hasn't sunk that sub even the ONCE..... i've managed 2 of the 4 wins in about 14 tries so far.
    It isn't beyond you, but it will be frustrating.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1465 Post(s)
    @friggo:

1) Depends upon how much/fast you can stockpile. Also depends upon what difficulty you are targeting. JMO, but pretty sure this next event will be harder than the last one = need higher levels & better equipment. So I'd make getting all historic ships to level 50 a priority as step one. Then work on the better/best in class types - some in each historic fleet.

Events vary A LOT. So a bunch of level 50+ ships may not be good enough for EO maps on Med. in one event, but good enough in another. If you're fine with Easy clear, then 50+ should (I'd sure hope) be OK for clear, but then again, Summer 2015 "Easy" wasn't so easy. Once you get all to level 50, continue to ramp select good ships in each historic group along with usual best in class. Examples IMO are Musashi Kai, get Naganami to K2 level (not sure what BP/medal situation is like before going ahead with Naganami K2), and Yahagi Kai.

Overall, it's going to be a balancing act between working on equipment/improvement, leveling ships, medals for BP and stockpiling. You can stay around soft cap for a while to take advantage of regen, but about 1 month (3 weeks for sure) before event, I'd go into full stockpile mode.

2) What 211303 said. I'm assuming that vanguard formation returns. Just have everything prepared for that so you can jump on it. Kyoufuu Kai is quite helpful. You want that. Only reason to do it now is if you're right at soft cap and want to take a couple shots per day while still getting some resource regen.

3) Again, what 211303 said. I'd say at least 4 for Med. 6 SPF for Hard. Again, get that Kyoufuu Kai. Type 2 SPF skilled helpful as well, but cost bunch o improvemats.

4) Definitely clear the first 3 and get the Raiden. The 4th quest kind of sucks IMO because it's not very fair to newer players since that quest doesn't last very long. I guess there are just enough planemats to go around right now with other quests, but never know.

The 2x DD requirement really hurts. You can clear 5-5 w/o CVB, jets, waifu, expansion slots, etc. I did that way back in the day for my first 5-5 clear. Didn't have the DD restriction though. Also had to run double support, play SparkleColle and took quite a few sorties. You'll definitely have to play SparkleColle for main fleet and use double support (which suck for boss support due to retreats & off routing). You probably have some equipment limits besides no jets as well. Gonna be tough unless you get lucky. You can try it, but if it's not going well, then maybe best to skip given resources since you have a lot of other stuff you can work on.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.