Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Cosplay sharing thread

Quote Originally Posted by ifiwereyou View Post
    @Iku chan

Huh?? But I AM the shitty ball-pit Admiral Gendou with Yamato Dakimukura XP
    I left pics on the previous cosplay post.
    Oh right
    sorry
    I suck at remembering names....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

married to Prinz Eugen
    10/6/2015 1728 hrs

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Reviving this thread because I'm looking to attempt some KC cosplay in the future.

To start, anyone have any experience with building the props? Even if you don't, what are some viable materials (ex: worbla, foam, etc) that might work?

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I usually make a funny hat to wear at Pax East, since why not.. everyone else does.
    Been Touhou in the past three years, but I went with Kancolle this year. I'll probably end up making more in preparation for next year too.. but this year, I made Ryujo.

Detail on the Sakura

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kozu View Post
    Reviving this thread because I'm looking to attempt some KC cosplay in the future.

To start, anyone have any experience with building the props? Even if you don't, what are some viable materials (ex: worbla, foam, etc) that might work?
    The visor above, I used Foamies. Light, flexible foam, keeps acrylic paint well, easily cut. The glue for it stays tacky but a layer of paint will hold and covers it up.
    http://www.darice.com/store/browse/catalog/wholesale-foamies

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kozu View Post

I don't do costumes based on specific characters so I've always had to be creative with the way I make my props (as there aren't any tutorials on what I wanted to make). I often utilise a range of random materials, but if I needed to make kancolle-related props, I would personally use a combation of cardboard and paper mache. if the props were small (such as yudachi's type-B gun) then I would use something I call 'layer mache' to build it. that is, using PVA glue to stick 11 layers of A4 paper together, waiting for those to dry, then sticking two 11-layer papers together to achieve a really durable sheet of layered mache. I would then cut those sheets into appropriate shapes and sizes before using a hot glue gun to attack these pieces together, into the shape of the gun itself (or I could use PVA glue again, but this requires something to hold the 'plates' in place while the PVA dries).

for larger props such as prinz eugen's or bismarck's or yamato's guns, I would use cardboard cut into the shapes needed, before dipping multiple sheets (or scraps) of paper into PVA glue (this can be watered down a bit if you are running low on glue), and sticking them onto the cardboard pieces, covering it. I would do this until there are approximately six or seven layers on both sides, before using sandpaper to smoothen the surface, which is done before spray painting the props! then you could try using PVC piping for the cannon barrels, as these are very light and cheap. they also have a smooth surface, so look great when painted!

to create props that require more dynamic shapes (eg, spherical parts), you may want to use a slurry combination mix of shredded toilet paper, PVA glue, flour and 'joint compound' (the recipe I use is found on this site: Paper Mache Clay | Ultimate Paper Mache) to hand mold your props into shape, before allowing them to dry. as the site forewarns, you should do this in increments of 'layers' as well -- i.e mold thin 1cm layers at a time and allow it to dry before adding more on top, otherwise it would take eons to set.

I have tried spray foam before and while it's good for filling hollow spaces, I don't like it very much in terms of durability. perhaps it's just the brand I once got, but it seems to be really brittle and cracks easily! some popular cosplayers have gotten spray foam to work for them, to create amazingly shaped and designed props, so you could give this a go if the above method seems too tedious :')

also, try not to design your props to use too much of materials such as faux/leather and carbon fibre! while these materials are great and all, they are extremely expensive! unless you have the money for it and don't mind using it for constructing a prop that you may only use once or twice - ever!

for soft-toy like props, I used soft spongy-like foam (polyurethane I think it was?), cut them into the sizes I wanted, before using a low-temperature melt glue gun to glue the edges together, simultaneously pinching the connecting edges together to achieve my desired 'orientation' of the foam.

all in all, be creative with the materials you use! I live by "making props look as good as I can, with the lowest cost possible". maybe I'm only saying this because I'm an amateur at propmaking :')

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Been in cosplay action for 5 years.
    My plans is to genderbend BB Yamato or Teitoku perhaps, guest what being hype to KC lately :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don't think Yamato as an Hotel

Rep
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I became a mook shinigami for AFAID last year...

Check out the Kancolle thread on FTD forums right here!
    KANCOLLE SLAM
    Everytime i get rekt in Mount&Blade
    (ps:If you'd like to contribute to editing this, just mention me or PM me.)

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EVA foam for Tenryuu crossplay.

Where i can buy EVA foam realy cheap? I want to make Tenryuu crossplay this year,but i have no idea how much EVA foam cost. If anyone is experienced with this stuff reply to this thread.I will be realy happy.

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Re: EVA foam for Tenryuu crossplay.

@Miky225 I moved your question into the general cosplay thread because I felt that a question so directly related to cosplay, should probably best be asked here!

also, you could also tell us that you're from slovakia because different countries have different shops! :')

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: EVA foam for Tenryuu crossplay.

@S.Razelrink Well it will be hard to buy EVA foam i think i will try check it out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kaigun Chusa (海軍中佐) KuroyukiChen's Avatar
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EVA foam is one of the most basic, yet widely used for cosplay costume though, do your best
    ah btw, just sharing
    here's a pic of my EVA Foam made into Gilgamesh from fate/series on AFAID2014
    i do realize i still lack a lot, so perhaps we can share tips and advice here

i'm planning to do a Kancolle Cosplay next, though it is still undecided on the character
    probably some character with rigging that looks cool, yet still balanced
    well taihou and some other shipgirls's rigging is a little bit imbalanced so pass on that lol

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Waifu Fleets (Coming Soon)
    Iku (Not yet), Yamashiro (84), Suzuya (54), Sendai (72), Zuihou (77) Souryuu (92)