Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    @ardiel: It can be a real problem. SPF are a big thing now in the game. Have been for a while. Even on Easy you pretty much needed a couple last event. Reason is due to branching and/or ship restrictions on certain maps. If you can't sortie CV(L/B), then need SPF unless maybe LHA (which has it's limits as well). Some players on Easy in events are able to force their way through a map with seaplane bombers (e.g. Zuiun), but... lot more difficult to do so. It's quite likely that seaplane bomber slots get emptied and you lose air power (along with artillery spotting). In contrast to seaplane bombers, not only do SPF give more air power with max rank (they get fighter bonus), but they don't get shot down really (in some cases, but very rare). For sure SPF are mandatory for Medium let alone Hard clears.

There's a balance to be had with doing quests & stockpiling, but you really should try to do as many "screw" quest as you can. If at all possible, try to get one SPF at least. FYI - If you have any present boxes, you can exchange them for 1 screw each (grey box). You can also exchange medals (4 per medal), BUT need those for BP as well.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    @goesto11

Alright. I'll see about it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do Bw1 as I've never actually managed to finish it in time. I can afford one medal if I need to since I have an odd one which won't become a BP any time soon and I have two present boxes. That should be good for at least a couple of improvement levels.

IGN
    Murrue
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1564 Post(s)
    @goesto11 I don't really get why you claim Ro.44 to be so shitty. Outside of Fusou sisters 23 slots, and on a less extend, Mogami and Suzukuma 11 slots, fighter power on SPF comes from the fixed bonus of double chevron. So you don't really care about the Ro.44 having bad AA stat, and it's by far the cheapest SPF to craft using Akashi.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    @ardiel: If you can get at least one SPF done, I think that would be a very good idea. Having a couple SPF for events is a top priority for new(er) players IMO.

As for BW1 (Sortie 36 times, encounter 24 bosses, kill 12 bosses, and get 6 S-Rank victories), a lot of players get that done (or mostly done) via SparkleColle for expedition ships at 1-1 along with doing the usual dailies/weeklies stuff. It's the reach a boss node 24x part which takes the most time. So if you're stuck, 1-1 a pretty good/cheap place to finish up BW1.

------

@Murrue: I didn't say Ro.44 were "so shitty", but "kind of suck". There's a difference in degree with those two phrases IMO. Semantics aside, Ro. 44 are bottom rung for SPF, and while the differences may not be great, it can, and does, add up. Theoretically, it may be the difference between getting AS, AP, or whatever I'm trying to do and not succeeding, and/or I can get what I need with one less SPF to free up a slot. A fine line, but a line nonetheless. I've seen high-end fleets with improved SPF and there's a reason for that. Going back to my initial post, the issue is past experience where I've barely been able to do what I need with what I have. OK, good enough back then, but now? The bar is being raised. That is why I'm considering all of these more "end game" type improvements.

Ro.44 are cheap, but like most things, you tend to get what you pay for including a better upgrade path with Type 2 SPF. Ro.44bis IMO are not worth the upgrade cost from Ro.44. Shame, because I would like to have one for collection purposes, but can't justify it. That being said, yes, there is a place for Ro.44 in the game. They are pretty cheap to build, and if a new player is struggling to get any SPF and needs a stop gap measure, sure an Ro.44 is better than no SPF at all. However, you wouldn't want only Ro.44 SPF, right?

I've thought about it some more, and right now I think the best thing for me to do with my SPF is work on improving my one remaining Type 2 to +5 given the higher cost & fodder for Type 2 SPF skilled and Kyoufuu kai. Now where doing that ranks with the other items I've mentioned... TBD.

Speaking of which, outside of Ro.44 and SPF, any thoughts on the other questions I have?

Last edited by goesto11; 01-24-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo

Rep
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    @goesto11

I got it done between 1-5 3-5 and 1-4. 1-1 was unacceptable to me - I tried it last time and just gave up because of stupidly low boss encounter rate. When you need 24 bosses, one boss out of 10 tries isn't enough for me.

IGN
    .sandrio
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @ardiel
    It's a classic case of confirmation bias though. 1-1 to sparkle DDs is probably the best way to do it still.
    I have a similar issue when doing 2-2 for "sink 50 transport ships", https://i.imgur.com/rPXmDTB.png isnt, E-routing supposed to have a 70% offroute chance when there's no CV(L)/AV in the fleet?
    That's just what the rng serves us sometimes

Rep
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    @sandrio
    It might feel different if I actually sparkled, but I don't because none of my expeds that I actually do are worth it.

Edit:
    So I tried sparkling my 4th fleet to see how it goes. It took over an hour and I reached the boss 9 times. I guess that's not terrible. I noticed the fuel consumption is not entirely appealing though.

Last edited by ardiel; 01-24-2018 at 02:50 PM.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4890 Post(s)
    Was busy these couple of days, so I was not answering questions in time. Sorry for that, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ardiel View Post
    @sandrio
    It might feel different if I actually sparkled, but I don't because none of my expeds that I actually do are worth it.

Edit:
    So I tried sparkling my 4th fleet to see how it goes. It took over an hour and I reached the boss 9 times. I guess that's not terrible. I noticed the fuel consumption is not entirely appealing though.
    Not sure why do you think sparkling expeditions are not worth it. The x1.5 bonus is simply too good to miss. It is always a good idea to sparkle your expedition, perhaps except those shorter than 1.5 hours due to how laborious it is. Sure, it takes you time, but not sparkling your expeditions ultimately makes you spend more time as well, as you got less resources to work with in any given time, meaning it takes longer to reach your current target, be it LSC for a certain ship, crafting equipment or stockpiling.

- - - Updated - - -
    @goesto11 Still would prefer a 7th spf over upgrading one of your existing spf. I highly doubt you would find a scenario where switching a +1aa spf for a +3 aa spf will be all you need to meet AS.

To put into perspective, a +1aa SPF on a size=5 slot gives you 29 fighter power, while a +3aa SPF in the same slot gives you 31 fighter power. You can see how minimal the difference is here. Where a 7th spf could potentially be useful in a combined fleet with CVL ban.

Ultimately though, either choices are more or less just luxury. You can pick whichever you like between the two.

As for other equipments, I would assume you have already got both night fighters, since you are considering max F6F-5. If this is not the case, getting night fighter/bomber should be a rather high priority for you.

You also mentioned Mk7. Not sure what status they are at, but if they are still at 0 star, upgrading them to +4 is a high priority for veteran players.

The sexiest bridge ever made.

Rep
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    Was busy these couple of days, so I was not answering questions in time. Sorry for that, guys.

Not sure why do you think sparkling expeditions are not worth it. The x1.5 bonus is simply too good to miss. It is always a good idea to sparkle your expedition, perhaps except those shorter than 1.5 hours due to how laborious it is. Sure, it takes you time, but not sparkling your expeditions ultimately makes you spend more time as well, as you got less resources to work with in any given time, meaning it takes longer to reach your current target, be it LSC for a certain ship, crafting equipment or stockpiling.

Most of my expeditions are short to fit in the x3 and x10 dailies which would burn off the sparkle. I simply don't have time to do that and everything else. I feel like this game demands too much as it is.

Usually I can just take five minutes to log in at some off hour to reset an expedition. I usually only run maybe 2 or some times 3 expedition 21's in a day while I'm actively playing. Instead of spending an extra hour to sparkle for those, I can take five minutes to log in at some off hour and reset the expedition and get almost as much. More if I do that twice.

Also if I don't have enough for something, I simply don't do it, and I'm never disappointed about it. I have plenty of other satisfying things to do.

Edit:
    And it's really amazing to me that I get anything done in the first place. Even having Kai Ni ships at all is a big achievement for me. When I got my ABKM Kai Ni recently, I was so tired and felt sick afterwards to the point that I almost felt like I wanted to actually vomit.

Last edited by ardiel; 01-24-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    @211303: No worries. Gotta take care of RL. Appreciate the analysis since I'm very much on the fence with this grey-area/luxury stuff. Some additional info:

- Have all 3 NB planes so that's done. Issue for me is not enough +11AA or better fighters. Could do a Type 21 (max) -> Type 52 skilled (max) quest upgrade which is a lot cheaper than F6F-5 (max), but not as good as F6F-5 (max) so...

- Large guns: I have one remaining unimproved 16"/50 and one remaining unimproved Proto 41cm triple. Have a bunch of large improved guns already including 2x 16"/50+GFCS +7, 2x Proto 51cm twin +7, 2x Proto 41cm triple +9, 4x Proto 35.6cm triple +9, 4x 381mm/50 Kai +9, 2x 38cm Kai +6, etc. Goal is/was to get 2x 16"/50+GFCS and 2x Proto 51cm twin to +9, but... lacking fodder (esp. Type 32 RADAR) as well as screws so both projects on hold for now (and may have to give up on getting both 16"/50 + GFCS to +9 :<). But yeah, I probably should upgrade that 3rd 16"/50 to +4 at least (have plenty of fodder for that). After that, I guess do the 3rd Proto 41cm triple to +4 since that's also a pretty good gun.

- It is splitting hairs on the SPF improvement benefits, but 2-3 more AA can mean the difference between AS/AP, etc. All I can say is that I've literally cut it very close a couple times with what I have in events which is why I'm thinking about doing more with SPF. Still, point taken about adding 7th SPF instead. Ugh, if I need 7x SPF that's a LOT of slots taken up. :/

Question: Understand not high priority stuff - incl. some of the other items mentioned, but hypothetically if you were to improve either an 8cm HA or an 8cm HA+MG, which one do you think is the better value/which one you would pick? I may not do this now, but perhaps later in the future so would like to have the right target.

For now, I'll work on the 3rd 16"/50 to +4 & probably the 3rd Proto 41cm Triple to +4 as well. After that, most likely have to rest & recover improvemats & medals before working on anything else.