Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Fleet Formation Tactics

I've been playing KanColle for a few days now (coming from Flower Knight Girl, very different game mechanics) and my biggest question I've come across is how to prioritize lvl'ing my girls, seeing one team is 6 girls, and I have to factor in resource management and fatigue, etc, many learning curves. I would like your help in making a balanced team; while I know being a jack of all trades might not be a good idea at times, I want to at least get some ideas as how I should prioritize and what ships I should be looking to add to my team.

So as of now, I have 2 BBs (Fusou, and Haruna Class #4, glasses lady) , 1 CVL (Hiyou), 1 CV, 3-4 CLs, and many destroyers. At first I was like "Oh..I'll just keep crafting 'till I have 5 BBs and destroy the field"...but turns out BBs are resource eaters amongst other things. I have Fusou currently as my lead, so my main team now is 1 BB, 1 CVL, 1 CL, 1 CV, 2 DD.

And I'm aiming to get Haruna, along with Ryujouu and Chitose (maybe...aka. 2+ CVLs in 1 team = good or not...?), hoping for good crafting RNG..

So, hoping for your thoughts, what team set-ups do you currently use, or have used before that has proven to have some versatility/flexibility in a variety of circumstances? Sorry if this post was a little all over the place, just trying to spill out my thoughts and hope you guys can give a beginner like me some input based on your experience, thanks!

Edit: Just got back from sortie, seems that my heavy cruiser also needs a large amount of resources to heal and time consuming too...should I switch it to a CL (or even DD)...?

Last edited by Ghostmon; 01-14-2018 at 11:44 AM.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5054 Post(s)
    @Ghostmon The comp we use are mainly affected by two factors: routing requirement and our aims.

1. Routing requirement
    If you have check out the map info on wiki, you should have notice that each map has its own requirement, requiring a certain amount/class of ship in the fleet in order to reach boss node. This is probably the first thing we need to consider, cos you will never reach boss node without abiding to the requirement

2. Aim
    With the routing requirement in mind, the next thing you need to ask yourself is what you are trying to do in this map.

Clearing: The heaviest fleet you can use that meets the routing requirement and AS requirement

Farming/leveling: A balanced fleet with both resources consumption and S rank rate in mind.

In terms of fleet development, what you should aim for is a balanced fleet, with ships from each class at hand. As you might have noticed, there is an event coming in a month, and you might want to start preparing for that now.

The information you provided is not enough for me to give advices. I would also need to know the followings:

1. Your average playing time and if you will be able to keep sending expedition when you are at work/school with android phone

2. Full list of your current equipment and ship (you can generate a list if you are using kc3)

3. Your current progress in map

Last edited by 211303; 01-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.

Rep
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    As 211303 said, as far as leveling all your ships, you're going to need ships from ALL classes. I've been where you are, and while focusing on all the heavy ships like BBs and CAs is nice, you're going to find out in later maps and events that if you don't have a good set of CLs and DDs, you're going to shoot yourself later. This does mean though that you can still focus on certain ships per ship type.

BBs and CVs: Honestly, these girls will probably see combat either way, so you don't really have to specifically focus on any specific one unless you want to get a certain ship to Kai Ni faster.
    CVLs: Chitose and Chiyoda I think have some of the higher stats out of the CVLs. A lot of event routing also call for fast ships, so try to pick fast CVLs (use the wiki or the sidebar to reference which ones are fast and slow). One of the Chitose's classes stages also comes with Kouhyouteki, which you'll need for later.
    CAs: Honestly, these get used a lot too, so I don't think you need to prioitize any particular one. However, I suggest getting Maya to Kai Ni since she's one of (if not the) best anti-air.
    CLs: You just started, so you probably don't have too many medals, but keep an eye out for Abukuma and Yura, as those two can carry the Kouhyouteki, which is a special torpedo that they fire BEFORE shelling combat (the one where ships are randomly blasting each other). Also keep an eye out for Kitakami, Ooi, and Kiso as they turn into Torpedo Cruisers, who also carry that torpedo.
    DDs.: So yeah, you will need a few handfuls of these ready. Many routing configurations will require anywhere from 2-4 of these. There are a lot of them with Kai Ni forms now, so I would prioritize those, especially anyone known for Anti-Air or Anti-Sub combat (Hibiki, Asashio, Kasumi, Satsuki) as well as Ayanami and Hatsushimo for damage.
    Subs: Well there's not that many of them to begin with, so they'll probably level evenly anyway.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks guys; yeah, after playing around a little more, I realized that yes I indeed need every kind. For 2211303: Currently on a break, so I have 6-8 hrs. a day to spare, so a lot of leeway when it comes to time. As far as maps go, I can probably get to 2-2 now, but maybe having a little difficulty for higher maps. I have still yet to install a mod, I am playing on DMM site directly atm.

Mana - thanks for the breif of list of girls to watch out for. I have Yura and lvl'ing her atm, so yay for me. I see you guys say the event coming up, this would be my first event. If I want to be productive for event, how/what should I prepare? My fleet thus far, avg. lvl of girls is 10-12, and ofc I just started so super low on all recoures (single digit buckets, etc. ugggh), and ~2k each resource. What is a good lvl for me to aim towards for my girls...? I imagine lvl 12 isn't going to cut it, whatever the event may be. Thanks!

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5054 Post(s)
    @Ghostmon well, your first priority now is to gather all 4 of the kongou sisters, as well as getting pass 2-4. I would suggest farming 2-2 and 2-3 till you have a full fleet of BB+CV at kai level, then clear 2-4 and 3-1. Kongou sister, and perhaps some CV should drop in the process.

Once you reach 3-2, gather a bunch of subs and level your DD/CL in 1-5. Use those subs you gather as tank in 3-2a for leveling. You should be able to find plenty of guides on the web about 1-5 and 3-2 leveling, so I guess I won't repeat here.

This is another post about some general suggestions I made to another newbie about how to prepare for an event in a short time:
    http://himeuta.org/showthread.php?11...=1#post1215854

Please look at the post, as well as the whole thread for reference.

If you are confident with your dedication and would want to try speeding up the process, keep advancing to 5-4 and farm that map. Detail about 5-4 leveling is also in the above thread. However, there is a huge roadblock called 5-3 on the way, so if you are not confident you can reach 5-4 in 2 weeks' time, just stay at 3-2.

Ultimately, in a month's time, ideally you would want to have the following ships:

BB: Kongou sister x4 (at least kai, k2 if you can manage)
    CV: Any 4 to kai (Hiryuu/Souryuu to k2 if you can)
    CVL: chitose and chiyoda to k2
    CA: Myoukou, Maya to k2, Mogami to kai
    CLT: ktkm and ooi to k2
    CL: Kuma OR Nagara to kai
    DD: Shigure, Yuudachi to k2, Yukikaze to kai, Ayanami to k2 if you can manage

Last edited by 211303; 01-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @211303: Ok thanks a lot for the detailed response! I've be fortunately enough to get a handful of good girls early on, so I'll work towards Kai on many of my ships. K2 doesn't seem realistic at this point, but I'll work towards that anyways after getting some necessary girls to Kai 1st.

I really want Chitose, but have only Chiyoda atm. So by your post, although I know nothing is set in stone, seems like I should be aiming for (approximately) 4 BBs, 4 CVs, 2 CVLs, 3 CAs, 1 or 2 CLs, ~4 DDs, 1 or 2 CLTs....something like that? If I had the above all to (say) Kai, would I be in okay shape?

Also, CLTs and SS, I should focus on CLTs? I don't have SS's atm, should I try getting them when able, or not priority now?

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5054 Post(s)
    @Ghostmon well, k2 is not as unrealistic as you might think. The reason why your leveling speed is slow now is that you are in early map. In order to speed up, you might want to get to later maps as soon as possible, where both more effective leveling/farming maps and expeditions are available.

All the ships I mentioned should be easily available just by farming and progressing in the maps, except perhaps shimakze, yukikaze, ooi, and the CVs. You should not worry about missing a particular ship or two right now. Level what you have right now and keep clearing maps. The ships will drop in time.

Here is rough plan of what I would do in your place:

1. Level your BB and CV in 2-2 and 2-3 while farming for Kongou class. When you got 6 of them to kai, sortie in 2-4 till you clear.

2. Reach 3-2, then switch to 1-5 and level 1 CL and 5 DD to kai (shimakaze and yukikaze are highly recommended due to high stat at kai.)

3. See how much time you have left. If you have done all these in 1 to 1.5 week, proceed to clear the remaining maps and reach 5-2. If not, level your BB/CV/CA in 3-2a, and your DD/CL/CLT in 4-3.

4. If you decided to proceed, see how much time you have left till the starting date of event when you reach 5-2. If there is 2+ weeks, clear 5-3 and level your BB/CV/CVL/CA in 5-4, and your DD/CL/CLT in 4-3. If there is less that 2 weeks left, level your BB/CV/CVL/CA in 5-2, and your DD/CL/CLT in 4-3.

A couple of principles you would want to apply:

a) No reason to stockpile at your stage. Keep using all 4 of your resources till they are just below soft cap. Your first priority right now is to develop a strong fleet. The only exception is buckets. You would want to save as many bucket as you can.

b) Stop crafting for BB/CV. Use the basic all 30 formula for ship now just for completing daily quest. You should get all the ships you need/capable of leveling from farming alone.

c) For equipment crafting, keep using the formula 20/60/10/100 with CV flagship for high-end planes, and mix in 10/90/90/30 with BB flagship for AP shell/T3 shell. Stop building shell when you have 4 T91 shell and 4 T3 shell, and focus on planes.

If in early Feb you still do not have 4 CV, and you are not able to reach 5-2, start crafting for CV using CV recipe, but you should rely on farming if you can reach 5-2, and preferably 5-4.

d) Do PVP everyday with the heaviest ship you have. I recommend a 5BB+1CV with 4 green planes on the CV, or similar comp. Remember not to put any blue or red planes on CV in PVP, as they will get shot down and took up a huge amount of bauxite.

e) Before you sortie and try to clear maps, check if you are having the right setup. Ask here if you do not know how to properly setup your fleet with proper equipment sets.

f) I highly recommend you to use a viewer, whether it would be KC3, Poi, or any others. It would be very difficult for you to comprehend the advices we gave without one (fighter power requirement, for instance, is a pain in the ass to calculate by hand).

g) For expeditions, I would highly recommend exp 5 and exp 21 as your staple. Mix in exp 2 (bucket), exp 6 (bauxite) or exp 38 (fuel) according to your needs. Both 21 and 38 are not available for you now, which is another reason why you should rush the maps. Sparkle any exp at 1.5 hours or longer as well. The bonus is definitely worth it.

h) In case you don't know yet, at least fully modify the armor, firepower and torp of a ship before you send the ship in serious map.

Last edited by 211303; 01-18-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @211303 - Amazing thanks a lot! I'll follow your advice and progress thru. the maps accordingly. I'll get KC3 or something similar, I think that'll really help. And yeah you are right, I've been doing higher lvl maps and the exp. is far greater, so its been giving me more motivating to keep pushing...maybe Kai Ni isn't all that impossible at this rate. I'll also start crafting equipment based on your advice, I've been using stock equips. all this time, but I'm sure there's better things out there. At this point, I'm still missing a few BBs and Chitose will not drop for the love of God... I will keep on grinding, see what I can do/accomplish before event. Although I'm not entirely sure how event reward works, all I know is that I want some event exclusive ships if able, some of them girls look great.