Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1129 Post(s)

Ship Discussion: Gascogne

Previews have started to appear so might as well make a thread dedicated to the ship.

Notser's preview

That dispersion makes me want to kill myself. No amount of secondaries buff is going to make up for these horrible guns.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Richelieu 2017-11-11 / Tatsuta 2018-01-18

IGN
    polymorphine
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Not a fan of 4x2 turrets

Quote Originally Posted by iPe7eR View Post
    >Implying every place on the internet isn't infested with tumblrfags.

https://asia.warships.today/signature/2008227745/light.png

Rep
    Mentioned
    1129 Post(s)
    Aerroon's take on the ship

And Flambass' take.

@polymorphine The setup is more appealing in an AB config like Richelieu or Dunkerque, but it could work as an interesting one off ship (still don't like France's current setup) if the performances were good enough, buuuuut... The main guns are absolutely trash in terms of accuracy, Gascogne is tied with Richelieu for lowest DPM and one of the lowest alpha for its tier, and the secondaries don't seem to be that great either because the 100mm will shatter on a lot of things and the 152mm have a fairly lengthy reload time. This ship is looking real bad at the moment and given WG's past history with Dunkerque, so is the whole French BB line.

And it's 2x4, 4x2 would be Bismarck's setup :p

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Richelieu 2017-11-11 / Tatsuta 2018-01-18

IGN
    polymorphine
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    @Mobius lol oops.

Quote Originally Posted by iPe7eR View Post
    >Implying every place on the internet isn't infested with tumblrfags.

https://asia.warships.today/signature/2008227745/light.png

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Using the values taken from the devblog, in Nov 2017, Gascogne has 309m dispersion at 24.8km, while Amagi has 227m at 19,9km. While they may not have the same dispersion curve, lets say they do, in which case Amagi wouuld have 283m dispersion at the same max range as Gascogne. Bismarck has 254m at 19.3km. Using the same simple conversion, she has a whopping 326m at 24.8km. All three have 1.8 sigma.

Certainly could look better for Gascogne, but Amagi is one of the most accurate T8 BBs, and most accurate BBs in general, while Bismarck looks like she retains the trash accuracy badge. Of course, Bismarck has other things going for her, and Gascogne's dispersion isn't all that far off from Bismarck's.

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Rep
    Mentioned
    1129 Post(s)
    Flamu's turn

Pretty much everything I predicted is turning out to be true.

@DLRevan "We need more German like battleships guns" is something that no one has ever said or wanted however.

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    After her previous Sigma buff, Gascogne now gets a reload buff.

ST, French battleship Gascogne, tier VIII

Reload time of the main battery is decreased from 30 to 28 seconds.

Changes increase ship's average damage per minute and compensate for nuances of her peculiar turret placement.

Rep
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK I'm still not feeling it, man : )

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3840 Post(s)
    @M.A.Mitscher
    I can't fathom why. She's now a Bisko with a tad more accuracy, a Repair Party on a shorter cooldown, a pseudo turtleback, slightly worse Secondaries power. She's also trading Hydro for Speed Boost for better aft twerking! /s

Rep
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK Because Bismarck isn't that comfortable as a gun platform. 8 guns is fine nailing Aoba, La Gal, and Tier VI BBs like AZ, NM, Bayern, etc. that can't run away to save their lives. Hell, there's no angle they can do to save them from 15" AP. You can impose your will against those seals. But same tier or higher tier opponents, that gunnery spectacularly fails. 8 guns and hope they're enough to keep up with the power, accuracy of 16" armed and larger BBs. 8 guns is still prone to missing a lot of shells and a massive drop in possible damage you could do with every missed shell. Even the 8 guns of 457mm Conqueror are a total failure, not from power and accuracy, because you have so few guns and still end up missing too many shells for mediocre total damage. They say Conq's 457 setup has great sigma, but you don't see that in practice.

Not only that, these are 15" guns. I'm already feeling that distaste with Richelieu's guns. But it exists with others of the same gun caliber that tier.

- When I face tanked 2 Bismarcks in an island infested area with my Des Moines and I ripped them both apart and they did no damage to me with their 15" guns. Both of their secondaries could not keep up with DM ripping them apart at 6km.
    - Playing Roma and watching her 15" AP completely fail in hurting a BOW CAMPING BALTIMORE.
    - A friend on the red team in his Hindenburg being able to rush my Richelieu and completely ignore every single AP shell to finish him off before, and he was still able to drop the torps to kill me.

Tier VII Lyon, Tier IX Alsace looks far more interesting and reliable. I have Lyon and she's goddamn amazing despite having armor worse than a New York.

Last edited by M.A.Mitscher; 02-15-2018 at 10:49 PM.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -