Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)

Musou Series Thread (Dynasty/Samurai Warriors etc)

Thread dedicated to the series of games of lawn mower simulators.

As a casual gamer the warriors games are very easy to get into and complete. Full of historical fujo potentials because the two main series, Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors deal with the two eras I'm most interested in.

DW9 was released recently and I was super hyped about it until I tried the gameplay. It feels far too different from the previous games and it really expanded on my least favorite part in Sanadamaru, which is the plot-irrelevant farming fishing blacksmithing and all that random MMO stuff. :<

Apparently you don't get any real gameplay until 10 hours in, which IMO goes against the whole spirit of quick, instance based Musou games that are well suited for people who don't have time to grind.

Quite the shame too since I was really looking forward to playing all the Wei pretty boys they added :< The character models and the maps are really pretty.

Feel free to discuss anything about the series.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7828 Post(s)
    SSM4 master race, lets get that out the way first. Despite the english version still suffering from entertainingly bad name translation. It had by and far the best gameplay of the series as well as good AI and no real lag or slowdown issues.
    The last two did a decent job with story telling despite the gameplay and AI not being as good

This new one though, oh boy. this is going to be one hell of a rant.
    The open world meme Japan has got into recently thinking it'll make their games more popular in the west needs to stop. The only people who will get any enjoyment out of this are jobless NEET's with the way it's set up and how long it takes to get anything done.
    Sure the older games could take 20~40 minutes a battle depending on game and stage as well a difficulty and how completely clearing the map you go but this game goes above and beyond.

I'm not a fast game player and I get easily distracted by things; I mean I racked up over 20 hours game time in Pokemon white 2 before even getting 6 badges, but it took me almost 5 hours to clear the yellow turban rebellion and I skipped out on a lot of the optional pointless repeating requests once i found out the pick-up quests where all literally the same thing of "We're getting raided by X type unit go kill them". Literally. every. single. one. The inn at a town had 5 NPCs wanting quests done, killing bandits, killing theives, all that kind of thing and placed the quest objectives all in the same point on the map. That was a clusterfuck of spawned enemies but at least it ended quicker than hunting that shit down individually.

The China map is absolutely monstrously huge. You can see they went with the large map and large areas to add a sense of scale how big the battles were and how big the areas are but god damn thank god it's not like skyrim garbage and you can actually just jump to objectives despite not being to that part of china yet otherwise I'd lose my shit with how long it takes to walk even on horseback and that horses have fucking stamina so you can't just belt it full speed for more than a minute I bought a new horse that could actually gain levels at the first opportunity and it was level [u]50[/i] after I finished the yellow turban rebellion from how much running it did.

I've spent about 14 hours on the game so far, 12 hours doing the first two chapters than an hour and a half or so redoing chapter 2 with a new character just to see how fast I could clear it quick jumping to all the objectives and even then I skipped four of them
    The battles through Si Shui and Hu Lao gate's onto Luo Yang was pretty enjoyable and the small walk between each one wasn't too bad but having to go well out of your way to get Liu beis useless punk ass to join the battle, rescue Sun Jian because Yuan Shu is an incompetent idiot really draws out the length of the chapter.

All the hunting/exploration/fishing/etc garbage thrown in doesn't add anything to the game and doesn't seem to even matter. The only things that seem to matter currently are 'scrolls' for crafting and without getting those the whole crafting system is useless, and you can get them as drops from defeating officers.
    I might post my thoughts on each chapter as I go through if you want but it is a bit hijacking the thread if I do.

That said, using English number system my favourites are
    DW 5>4=7>8>9>3>6
    SW 2>4>1 (purely because 1 had barely anything despite like half the NPCs having unique models)
    Orochi 3 was some godly high-tier stuff too.

Last edited by KotoNano; 02-21-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Will only return for Yuzuki.

IGN
    KradHunter
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    The only game I've played was Samurai Warriors 2 Empires for the PS2 and I loved it!!! I played it so much the disc ended up a little scratched... unfortunately my PS2 died and I couldn't get another one...

Married to Nagato on August 19, 2015

Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krad Hunter View Post
    The only game I've played was Samurai Warriors 2 Empires for the PS2 and I loved it!!! I played it so much the disc ended up a little scratched... unfortunately my PS2 died and I couldn't get another one...
    SW2 is one of the rare sengoku ones that have a PC version. You can try looking around for a download. If not I can try to see if I have it.

IGN
    KradHunter
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalinsre View Post
    SW2 is one of the rare sengoku ones that have a PC version. You can try looking around for a download. If not I can try to see if I have it.
    Unfortunately that only applies to the original but not for Empires...

Married to Nagato on August 19, 2015

Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krad Hunter View Post
    Unfortunately that only applies to the original but not for Empires...
    I see. In that case I don't know. Remastered HD version is on PS3 and Vita if you have those, and that version has Empires.