Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4861 Post(s)

Summer 2018 Anime

Got so caught up in the mini event I almost forgot this.

The Summer chart has been finalised:

[+] Spoiler

Check it out and see what interests you.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1072 Post(s)
    @Leyana A lots of titles I have no clue at all. There is season 3 of Overlord, next season is awesome already for me. :)

Rep
    Mentioned
    4861 Post(s)
    @Mikan Grand Blue is a must see. 10/10 the best diving manga ever.

Other stuff that looks interesting to me:
    FLCL
    Hanebado
    Happy Sugar Life
    Harukana Recieve
    Overlord III
    Yuragi-sou

Rep
    Mentioned
    1072 Post(s)
    @Leyana I saw FLCL a loooong time ago when I was still in anime club. I have completely forgot what the story all about. I only remember a robot came out of the main character forehead. XD Well, looking forward for the new one. :)

Rep
    Mentioned
    4861 Post(s)
    @Mikan It's about growing up. But mostly about robots coming out of a kid's forehead. Also The Pillows.

Rep
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Hm... there are some good titles indeed but the rest are kinda meh, however this is the stuff that I'm gonna watch/try:

-Grand Blue
    -Back Street Girls
    -Overlord 3
    -Harukana Recieve
    -Hanebado!
    -Chio-chan
    -Happy Sugar Life
    -Hataraku Saibou
    -High Score Girl
    -Isekai Maou (Guilty pleasure of the season)
    -Jashin-chan Dropkick
    -Satsuriku no Tenshi
    -Shingeki no Kyojin 3
    -Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger
    -Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (Another guilty pleasure)
    -Sunoharasou no Kanrinin-san (Final guilty pleasure)
    -Island

Last edited by Kranesh; 05-28-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4861 Post(s)
    Got caught up with most of the shows now. Time for the regularly scheduled summary.

Must Watch:
    Hanebado! - The animation for this show is really damned good. You can feel the impact everytime they swat a shuttlecock. The character designs are kind of reminiscent of Keijo which is good because they all look very solid. But beyond that, so far it's kind of a standard sports anime with an overcoming trauma to be the best plot. Still, oh my god the animation is so good.

Hataraku Saibou - A fun little quirky anime about hardworking cells. Ignore the loli memes that have polluted the internet of late. It's fun and informative. I actually learned something watching this. The animation and art design is pretty good too. The whole setting gives me that megastructure feel from Sidonia. Great fit for the scale of cells in a body.

Planet With - A mecha show with lots of potential. A plus point is that I have no idea who the good guys are supposed to be in the first episode. The mecha designs are good and the CG fits the show. The design of the enemies is super out there though. One other thing I liked was how the enemies attack with psychological trauma. Adds a new dimension to the straight mecha punch ups.

Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki - A historical drama that plays a bit loose with history. The artstyle is quite old school but the animation is smooth. The battles so far are nicely animated. There's quite a big cast but they're quite varied. Some of them do manage to give off the vibe that they can fight off an army. Though if the show stays true to it's historical roots, this will just end in tragedy. Still give it a go.

Worth a Watch:
    Island - A mystery/harem featuring Kamijou Touma. Actually I lied. But it's still a mystery/harem show with an interesting enough plot at first glance. Has potential to be a good mystery/horror show with the weird isolated island bent. The one thing dragging this down are the uninteresting characters. But they can get better through some development. They already have the art and animation going for them.

Harukana Receive - Another sports anime. Animation isn't as good as Hanebado but the character designs are cute. Bonus points for being beach volleyball so you see lots of jiggly jugs. But setting aside the abundant fanservice, it's got a pretty standard sports anime storyline. Instead of being a genius recluse like Hanebado, you have a natural genius that uses "athleticism" as an excuse for everything she can do.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro - This is a super weird comedy. The humour is quite off the wall but if you find absurdist comedy funny, give this one a try. I actually found it quite entertaining. The art and designs are quite simple which means it doesn't detract from the jokes.

Yama no Susume: Third Season - The fluff gang is back. More cute antics from the mountain climber girls. This anime will be your comfy dosage for this season.

Banana Fish - I must say the art and aesthetics of this anime are spot on. It's a gangster anime involving weird drugs so I'm praying that this doesn't go down the bullshit Gungrave route. Otherwise it shows lots of potential to be a 90s gangster show.

Asobi Asobase - Another show that relies on whacky humour but more relatable than Chio-chan. The reaction faces are a laugh and all of the characters are massive assholes. It just adds to the entertainment value when they eventually get what's coming to them.

Jashin-chan Dropkick - Yeah, another absurdist comedy this season. So you have your pick of what you like. This one just relies on super violent slapstick. But it's totally ok and funny because the one getting reduced to a censored pile of meat deserved what she got. Ha ha ha.

Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes - This one is a sort-of detective show, but dealing with art appraisals instead of crime. Like Hataraku Saibou, it is really educational when they go over the minutiae of Japanese art. Don't let that put you off though, they make it engaging enough that it really feels like a mystery being unraveled. The background art is really good too.

Overlord III - Everyone's favourite skeleton is back. This time with a season that focuses more on him than the rest of the cast. This can only be a good thing.

To Pass the Time:
    Baki (2018) - The character designs for this show are an acquired taste. They look super dated and everyone looks like they are pumped up on steroids. The ultra violent gore does nothing to help with my impressions of the show. The plot is barely there and is just a flimsy excuse to let 6 psychopaths beat the shit out of each other.

Back Street Girls: Goku Dolls - The good thing about this show is that it follows the manga to a T. The bad thing about this show is that it follows the manga to a T. If you didn't read the manga, this is a funny gender bender that plays on the gap between how the main characters are hardened criminals on the inside but top idols on the outside. If you have read the manga, the jokes are played out and the memes are dead. The only reason to watch would be just to see the manga panels animated.

Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san - An anime about a trap trying to show that he's a real man while the girls in the dorm are all borderline predators. So yeah, a standard harem comedy. The character designs are really nice so it has that going for it.

Ongaku Shoujo (2018) - I'll be honest, the only reason I'm watching this show is because it has animated dance scenes instead of the weird CG that is plaguing idol shows these days. That said, they do use plenty of still frames and the animation gets real sloppy at times. But when there's only a few girls in frame it makes me miss the good old days. As with all idol shows, the biggest determination of watchability are the songs. This one is pretty eh on that end. The character designs are varied and stand out though. Also apparently Renge became an idol.

Phantom in the Twilight - Don't let the look of being otome bait fool you. This show has some nice action going on. But if it's story you're looking for, better look elsewhere. Because this show is going with the standard harem plot of super MC surrounded by hot harem. Bonus of them being immortals who were hot for her grandma and are now hot for her.

Free! Dive to the Future - Free is back with the same KyoAni quality and the same standard you'd be familiar with if you watched the first two. A decent sports anime with top quality animation.

Stay Away:
    Senjuushi - A subpar love child of Touken Ranbu and Girls Frontline. Super basic plot at the moment. The animation is mediocre and the character designs are ok. It's not bad, just boring.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu - Just a trash isekai with abundant fanservice. If you do watch it, definitely grab the uncensored version.

Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100 Nin no Ouji-sama - Similar in theme to Phantom in the Twilight but with an isekai twist. The animation was worse than Phantom and the characters are meh. If you want to watch otome bait, I'd definitely go with Phantom over this one.

Satsuriku no Tenshi - I have no idea what's going on and this show doesn't show much beyond shock and horror. It may get better but it's currently just an edgy waste of time.

Shichisei no Subaru - At first I thought this was going to be some standard VR game romp. Then it quickly turned into some weird AnoHana copycat. As it stands, it's not doing the copycat thing very well and having it set in a game world just cheapens it a bit. Also having a heart failure from dying in game is some contrived bullshit. The quality of the animation and the simplistic character designs don't help either.

Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria - Another isekai crap to throw on the pile. Maybe this will go somewhere but I'm not holding my breath. A point in it's favour is that the MC has no special powers and has to use his brains and military nerd knowledge to lead his adoptive clan to victory.

The rest of the reviews will come next week.