Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Kancolle's longevity - future

Hello to every Kancolle fan/newbie/veteran.

Playing the game for a good 4 years, I never would've expected/thought to sail for so long; evidently speaking - to log in everyday whenever possible.
    Tackling on numerous events since 2014 Fall I'm confident to declare that I'm not exactly alien to hard events and less challenging ones.

From last summer event it's been bothering me for a good year now - specifically the subsequential fate of Kantai Collection.

Where exactly is the game sailing towards?

To welcome new admirals?

Certainly not, as witnessed by unnecessary XP nerfs and the removal Orel cruising, 3-2 A leveling and 5-4 ranking - which was also great for leveling.
    Let's be real, they won't be able to catch up or even keep up with any veteran player at all, which in turn might turn away people for even trying.
    The catch up mechanics from events are decent on equipment level and ship drops, alas... nothing can and will change the cold hard embrace of time itself - yet again pointing fingers at XP nerfs.
    While it is rather absurd to even suggest such a thing, it would at least entice them to continue on trying to catch the carrot infront of them; instead of getting bored and abandoning the game for that OTHER competitor.

Improving gameplay?

Since Block-2 of HTML-5 isn't out yet, this part is still rather cloudy.
    However, nothing has changed at all in Block-1 unless one counts smooth animations as gameplay.
    Judging from how events are still largely based on RNG and net resources, I doubt much will change - if at all.
    A little itty-bitty spicing up for more interactivity wouldn't hurt, it does not need to be the end of all means though.

To take up the gloves against its competitors?

While there are a few I noticed, only one sticks out as a sore thumb.
    It has its own charm yet it misses what makes Kancolle so enjoyable, namely that the game has a soul.
    Kancolle has its fare share of erm... fetishes, but sometimes it makes fun of its own self in this regard.
    Kancolle having a rather passive form of gameplay, it quickly got jumped over since it can become rather stale without any events around.
    The arcade version exists, yet not many people get to play it - if at all.
    Maybe a PC port or console version could raise more interest in Kancolle?

This is where my superfical questions end.

I wanted to keep this rather short, as no one likes reading litanies.
    I mainly created this thread to have a a chill session about the game itself and your take on it.
    The forums have been a bit quiet since last year too, altough it might be my wrong memory.

My closing thoughts and reasons for playing the game for so long:

What other cutsie game like this turn unliving objects and actually gives some interesting life/personality to them? ( There are a few I agree, but I specifically talk about how well their history/fate are linked into their behavior and speech )
    Last Winter and Spring comes to mind when they were painted as long-lost, forgotten tools of war seeking redemption. ( I won't let this one dive into any political nor racial discussion, as some people would find this part rather... jingoistic)
    Which game can you play rather laidback, not requiring much attention only to take it a bit seriously when a new event arrives?
    Even then you can take it on at your own pace as time allows - this part also drew me in A.K.A. taking the semi-hardcore road.

Thanks for your time.

Rep
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    To be honest, i don't think kancolle will get many new players in the foreseeable future. I don't actually have any numbers but i would dare to say, the biggest surge of new players in recent times was when the Anime got aired. It's very likely the devs don't really expect any major influx of new players for the browser version.
    That's probably the reason why they don't really cater much to them with the map overhaul and xp change.

And even if there was an easy map to level your fleet, new players will never really catch up, thanks to the fact we won't get any Event re-runs. There is simply too much good equipment they missed. And don't even get me started on medals or screws. A fresh player will most likely be only able to do casual and maybe medium after some time.

Well regarding the longevity of the game, it's hard to tell. Personally i would say the game reached it's peak in 2015 - 2016 and is on a more or less steady decline since then.
    But i'm fairly certain it will be running for a few more years atleast. There is still quite some interest in the game in japan, thanks to the arcade version and all those RL events oversea players can't attend.

As for any major improvements or changes on the gameplay and overall more QOL features. Like Makikaki already said, i highly doubt we will see much change from the resource/fleet management style and the overall reliance on RNG for the combat system.The devs simply can't or don't want to change the core of the game.
    I mean they did try to do something different with the vita version. And i actually kinda liked the improved combat system. But even with those changes the game wasn't good enough to stand on it's own. It simply lacked the (albeit very slow) content release the browser game has.

I'll be honest here. On one hand i absolutely hate the fact the devs always try to cram in even more RNG stuff into those Events and since they won't change the core gameplay i understand that this is the only way to spice things up and give hard mode players a challenge.

But on the other hand i love how comfy the game is inbetween Events (unless you're ranking of course). I love the characterization of the girls through their secretary lines. I love the little nods to actual history and i love the overall tone and art style of the game.

I do actually play some of Kancolle's competitors. Mainly Girls Frontline but i recently started Azur Lane aswell. And while those two definitely have a better gameplay loop, each of them lacks some of the things that i like about KC.

Girls Frontline for example is very F2P friendly, much like Kancolle. It has a fairly good story and some interesting characters. But unlike Kancolle only a few characters get really fleshed out through the main Story and Events. Most of the girls only have three secretary lines and that's it. And aside from the Girls wielding guns that exist in the real world, it's pretty much a sci-fi setting without any interesting connection to real world history.

As for Azur Lane. It does have some really nice character designs (Their Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper and Takao class girls are top tier in my opinion) but most of the girls are just average designs you can find in any mobile game. About the story in Azur Lane... well i didn't really pay much attention to it. The same goes for most of the girls characterization and personalities, they are somewhat underwhelming compared to KC. Also the overall tone of the game seems much lighter and carefree than Kancolle. But whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is very subjective.

Of course all of this is just my personal opinion on those games. In the end everyone has different tastes, so what i might find good in KC and bad in GF/AL others might not and vice versa.

In the end i will probably continue to play KC until they shut down the Servers
    [+] Spoiler
    or until i get so salted by RNG that i smash my pc and never play video games again lol
    regardless of the fact that other games have a better combat system or other stuff. There is literally no reason for me to stop playing any of these games aside from maybe time constraints.

Last edited by Raven2k5; 09-21-2018 at 11:51 PM.

The Evolution

Rep
    Mentioned
    1125 Post(s)
    I wished they let us pick a setting, for example normal mode or casual mode. Normal is the usual setting, Casual no need repair and get rid ship's morale. Maybe change it to stamina/fuel(?) per sortie.

Why I want that? Back then I was still a student when I start playing this game, I have plenty of time to farm resources & buckets, it was not a problem for me to do big event that took weeks.

But now I got a job. Working all day, came back home already tired, only have 1 or 2 hours to play games. This event I sortie once to E-5, came back everyone were red and need repair. Repair took 2 to 19 hours. Buckets buckets buckets, so much of them needed, already burnt about hundred of them and I'm not even sure I have enough for the last dance. When do I have the time to farm them? Not to mention I have to resparkle everyone again. :(

This game is very unfriendly for people who have job and busy with their life. They need to change that, people graduate from student, they need to consider their player real life situation, if they want them to continue playing. I understand that there are actually people that love the complex mechanic were you need to repair and resparkle the girls. That's why I think it would be nice if they let the players decide, have the option to change the game mechanic setting. :)

I love this game characters, if possible I want to keep playing as long as I can, but I don't know how long my physical body can survive this. :)

Rep
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    @Mikan

That is why difficulty selection exists, however, human stubbornness - like mine, can sometimes get ahead of people and never let go; E.G. full hard mode even when time does simply not allow it.
    As the case which happened 16' summer where I had 2 months of 16-8 hour shifts so sparkling and sortieing everyday meant I had 4 hours of sleep at max so I had to lower the diff to easy.

--Resources are fairly easy to get with how many 2+ hour expeditions exist. Of course, when work is really busy or staying in the middle of nowhere it becomes quite hard. (especially bucket expedition 2, it's a real P.I.T.A. to do as 30 mins is rather short, and I'd rather focus on work)
    Chain expeditions would solve such an issue, it wouldn't be even hard to introduce such a mechanic... simply let players set X amount of expeditions on one particular expedition so it would run on its own and resupply on its own.

--Sparkling is still a piss-poor mechanic that shouldn't exist anymore, it's dull - boring with 0 thought given, effectively a placebo as sometimes it doesn't really seem to have any impact.
    Don't understand why they still kept such thing in the game as it doesn't add anything at all in terms of gameplay, having ships becoming tired is fine, but why spam 1-1 sparkling when they could easily introduce a bar or some tavern building for morale generation?
    Hell... make it like the repair dock, and make it cost nothing but time or bucket like resource, I bet people would buy all the slots instead of buying any mamiya or irako anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Raven2k5

I wrote a few QoL that would make the game more enjoyable and less of a hassle replyting to Mikan.

The browser game is still interesting enough, but without newbloods it already started to stagnate.
    I understand that Kancolle itself is doing fine, it's the browser part that is lacking.
    Maybe they don't care much or are REALLY busy with Block-2, I can't help but to point out a few problems with how underwhelming Early Fall was.

So let's look at the event that is still going on - Early Fall.

-reused music... again.

-Indian ocean... seriously, how many times are we going to have an event going through those same exact parts?
    We could've made Gibraltar E-3 or something, used much more parts of Europe since well... this event is supposed to be about it?

-PT imps... they are EVERYWHERE only to add another layer of RNG... which isn't so bad, but it's annoying enough to take note of.
    (E-5 P2 comes to mind where everything in the enemy main fleet bar the boss is an installation, some would expect that a BB or a CV would be sitting ducks in a harbor but nope... a lone Patrol boat trolls around there.)

-Weakly presented Bisko/Nelson boss...Wasn't Rodney who sank Bismarck? Why are we getting Nelson?
    One could connect with the main bosses in 2017 Fall and 2018 Winter but... this is just... rather meh, considering how much of a big deal the sinking actually was back then.

Last edited by Makikaki; 09-22-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1125 Post(s)
    @Makikaki I completely understand that feeling. I also already veteran on this game too, I'm quite aware my current situation that I couldn't go hardcore Kancolle event like I used to. But every time I see the reward, there is a new rare equipment I haven't seen before, I cannot help it, my finger will have mind on it's own and click the hard mode. I'm digging my own grave. -___-

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Removal of 3-2 was a horrible move. There's no way to level up decently anymore, its not like it was broken or anything. It was rewarding but extremely boring. I took a break from the game and i return to see that there's no way to level up the girls anymore. What a bummer

Rep
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    That they killed Orel and Bashi have to be one of the biggest dick moves in Phase 2. Here goes one of the easy ways to clear daily sorties quests, for both veterans and beginners.

Rep
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    @Sheba
    2-1 for CV and 2-2 for Transport is faster now for weekly/dailies albeit more expensive in resources since 2-1 can be done with 2 CVL 4 SS while 2-2 with 3 CVL 3 SS.
    Doesn't change the fact that subs became rather slow to level casually now.

Fuel farming exists on 1-3 with AO and 5 XX(probably as many drum/daihatsu DDs as possible).

The removal or Orel simply killed off an all goodies in one bag map, now we have to do it on 3 separate maps what we were able to do on one before Phase 2.

IGN
    f50grunt
    Server
    Iwagawa Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I feel like they really need to work out some ways to increase the player base if they want the game to continue. It seems like they're maybe considering opening the game up outside of Japan, at least given the interface option that put some things in English, but that's such a tiny measure it doesn't make and significant difference. That'd be the easiest way to get more players, probably. A lot of other games are opening up in the West and I imagine the devs are watching to see how that pans out for everyone. They probably wouldn't even have to open up specific overseas servers, just increase their current capacity and allow foreign IPs. I've played from the US and from Japan and there was no real difference in the connection. After all, it's not some twitch-based game where your ping really matters. Though, they would probably have to increase the capacity a lot, or else server lotteries would come back and that's not a good way of getting people with a casual interest to check the game out.

As far as the changes in P2, I feel like it's sort of a mixed bag. I'll set aside the memory issues that have been plaguing the game since that's a technical problme more than a game design one, but it is a serious problem. As the only person who ever played the game that didn't 2-3 all day every day I can't say I'm upset that farming it eternally is a major loss to me. 3-2 no longer being a viable spot to spam farm is a little more annoying, but given how insanely tedious it was anyway I'm still not too put out by that. We might just have gotten so used to doing things a certain way that we're unwilling to figure out something new. That doesn't mean I don't feel like levelling has gotten more annoying because it probably has, I just haven't really done too much of it yet. On the other hand, given the amount of 90+ Nelsons I saw like a week after the event started, there must be some good levelling strat.
    More positively, I'm really glad they removed a lot of the random map routing, especially in world 2. You can always get to a transport node when you need to instead of just praying, which is a major help to dailies. I'll gladly take not having the chance to hit one node and get 4 transports in exchange for not having 6 straight 2-2 or 2-3 runs not go to any transport node. They also seem to have fixed 1-5 in that a lot of the quests require compositions that weren't guranteed to go to the boss now are guaranteed.

On the topic of randomness, that's one of the biggest issues of the game and I don't really know how they can make it user friendly without completely changing the way the game works. I think most of us agree that sparkling is one of the worst things about the game and they need to either remove it entirely and rebalance the game around that or completely overhaul it. Having to sparkle 24 ships for an LD run is one of the quickest ways to lose any motivation to keep going, especially when it barely seems to make a difference. It's obnoxious for a game to require so much busywork, honestly. I don't even really see the point of having morale as a system to keep from doing a bunch of sorties in quick succession either, if I'm completely honest. There's already the resources that get used when you do anything, so I feel like that does something similar. I'm just imagining a person on lunch break or whatever wanting to run a few sorties real quick before they have to go back to work and how annoying morale would have to be in such a scenario. That's a pretty minor gripe, though.
    Something that might help with the randomness would be better target prioritization for our ships, or even allowing the player to have some input on that. I imagine we've all had times in events where we load up a couple of ships with anti-installation gear and they refuse to actually attack the installation enemies. Simply making it so that a ship equipped in a certain way will attack optimized for its equipment isn't really an absurd idea. It's already how ASW works, so I feel like that idea wouldn't be hard to implement. Something more involved could be something like setting a fleet tactic before you send them out that could alter the way they act, though that would be pretty similar to choosing a formation so it might be redundant. A really crazy thing would be something like allowing you to choose a priority target during the fight, and maybe even create an order to attack them in. Like, imagine designating the BB Hime meat shields at a boss so your BBs or CVs burn them down before you go to night battle. They could increase the flagship defense chance in such a situation to try to keep just targeting the boss from being the dominant strategy, and they could probably still have a small amount of random targeting since plans never work out the way we'd like them to, but it would maybe make us feel like we have some input once the battle starts. After all, just creating the fleet and picking formations makes for a pretty hands-off type of command.

It would also probably be nice if on casual they loosened the routing restrictions, at least on the early maps. Needing a CT and/or 3 DE for the first map made it pretty unfriendly toward new players. They also need to make old event equipment available again. It seems like we're kind of stuck in a "rich get richer" loop where you need equips from previous hard modes to do current hard modes. Ideally this would be in a way other than just upgrading something with a few dozen screws, but even that's better than nothing. And bring back the Shinden Kai. It can't be better than a +MAX 53 Iwamoto at this point.

Finally, if they add Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Missouri they should definitely play up the state stereotypes instead of just general Japanese ideas of "Americaness" or whatever.