Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5277 Post(s)

Morningtec Japan has officially withdrawn from the operation of Abyss Horizon

https://kancolle-a.sega.jp/players/i.../190111_4.html

MorningTec Japan has announced on court that from 31st December 2018, they will be withdrawing from the operation of Abyssal Horizon.

MorningTec is the company responsible for the game's operation in Japan. SEGA and C2 took this as the sign that the game is retreating from Japan, and have planned to dismiss their lawsuit on the company.

The game is now listed under YY Global limited, and is still under operation. It is unknown what their plan is for the game in the future.

Guess we can see this as a major victory on SEGA and C2's side.

And a weird twist.

Abyss Horizon's side has a different version of the story, saying they will continue their operation in Japan (under another brand new company, judging from the change of issuer in google store). Both sides seem to contradict each other. Guess we will see what would happen in time.

Last edited by 211303; 01-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.

Rep
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    @211303

That's interesting. I would think that the most likely reason is that Morning Tec and the developer are beginning to buckle under pressure from SEGA. Now, If SEGA and Tanaka knew what they were doing, they'd acquire the game and convert it into a more modern version of Kancolle with a QR system so that you can use your KC:A cards with it.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
    @211303
    Now, If SEGA and Tanaka knew what they were doing, they'd acquire the game and convert it into a more modern version of Kancolle with a QR system so that you can use your KC:A cards with it.
    That sounds like a very bad idea. I definitely wouldn't enjoy a game that uses both your phone and actual cards.

Besides, you can't just convert it to something better when the base game is so bad. Coding doesn't work like that. Pretty much need to start from scratch.

Rep
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    That sounds like a very bad idea. I definitely wouldn't enjoy a game that uses both your phone and actual cards.

Besides, you can't just convert it to something better when the base game is so bad. Coding doesn't work like that. Pretty much need to start from scratch.
    Eh, to be honest the battle mechanics are identical to those of KC:A A few interface adjustments would be most of what would be necessary, apart from importing the 3d models. And I didn't envision the QR code cards being the only way acquiring ships, but rather being an added bonus. Still, the way i see it is that Abyss Horizon represents an opportunity that Sega and Kadokawa/DMM should be doing more with, but all of them seem to want to stick their thumbs up their asses. And, as I reported in the other thread, Azur Lane and other ship-girl games are gaining popularity precisely because next to nothing has been done with Kancolle so players are abandoning the game.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5277 Post(s)
    Eh, to be honest the battle mechanics are identical to those of KC:A A few interface adjustments would be most of what would be necessary, apart from importing the 3d models. And I didn't envision the QR code cards being the only way acquiring ships, but rather being an added bonus. Still, the way i see it is that Abyss Horizon represents an opportunity that Sega and Kadokawa/DMM should be doing more with, but all of them seem to want to stick their thumbs up their asses. And, as I reported in the other thread, Azur Lane and other ship-girl games are gaining popularity precisely because next to nothing has been done with Kancolle so players are abandoning the game.
    Just because they both involve 3d girl floating on water doesn't make their system similar. A big difference would be that AH is turm based while KC:A is real time.

And tbh, it is really just your own opinion on the game, I have no problem concerning the current system of KC, and I absolutely adore KC being a spreadsheet simulator that require actual preparation and understanding on the system and the formula behind to succeed. The actual gameplay of KC is the planning and preparation, while the fighting part is really just a proving ground for your work. The game would need some qol improvement, but I would hate it if they largely change the system, let alone switching to a completely different game mode.

Last edited by 211303; 01-14-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    Just because they both involve 3d girl floating on water doesn't make their system similar. A big difference would be that AH is turm based while KC:A is real time.
    You make a good point there; while being real time, AH also has rounds (and you can avoid the rounds largely by fighting at maximum range with aircraft carriers)

And tbh, it is really just your own opinion on the game, I have no problem concerning the current system of KC, and I absolutely adore KC being a spreadsheet simulator that require actual preparation and understanding on the system and the formula behind to succeed.
    Not just my opinion. Both Famitsu magazine and HK01 (a hong-kong gaming magazine) attributed the primary success of Azur lane being the fact that there had been no quality of life improvement for Kancolle whatsoever. Further, Warship Girls R and Girls Frontline have both taken the same system and iterated on it in ways that vastly improve the system.

And it means that I'm stuck in a bind where, four years on, Kancolle simply isn't that enjoyable for me to play anymore but I still want to be able to enjoy the characters in an interactive way. Because AL "Naka" or WGR "Kongo" simply aren't Naka and Kongo for me, and they pale in comparison to the quality of art, historical integration, and character of kancolle's characters (this is quite literally the source of my entire rant, as well as being frustrated at the lack of progress with respect to game improvement other than the HTML5 update which arguably made the game even more difficult).

The actual gameplay of KC is the planning and preparation, while the fighting part is really just a proving ground for your work. The game would need some qol improvement, but I would hate it if they largely change the system, let alone switching to a completely different game mode.
    QOL and interface changes are what are needed the most. At a minimum up to the standards of clone WGR, because at this point Kancolle is needlessly difficult; It's the Dark Souls of Mobile Gaming at this point.

The problem is that the present system means that I am bleeding more resources than can take in, and gets in the way of event preparation rather than complementing it. I don't remember this being the case 4 years ago when I was in the middle of my KC streak. More to the point: in WGR and GF in particular, map running and leveling complement the process of preparation for events, because my resource intake matches my expenditure with relatively little effort--in no small part because I have some level of control over my operations rather than being subjected to what amounts to a dice-rolling simulator. Even in WGR, which is a direct clone with minor at best improvements, the added information I get through the interface changes what I can do. Rather than feeling like I'm flailing around, I can actually plan accordingly.

That is, frankly, no longer the case with Kancolle; Presently I'm bleeding buckets like a firehose or simply otherwise unable to play because anytime I try to take my ships out to any sort of leveling ground one of them is inevitably damaged or crippled. This then creates a 3 hour+ repair time which precludes any further action that I might take because it is functionally impossible to take up any serious operations without either a) growing this queue to ludicrous lengths and/or b) exceeding growth capacity for buckets and therefore killing any long-term attempts for gathering a stockpile for any events.

Contrast this to, say Girls Frontline, where I have a ready corps of infantry, and can not only run four expeditions at once but also conduct repeated runs of maps with the loss of at most 10 buckets/repair kits.

So, at this point, here's what I'd like to see

1. QOL improvements; update the in-combat information system and map traverse system to give the player more control. Players who have any sort of fleet command system should be able to either assign targets, scout ahead with reconnaissance planes, or be able to manually select map nodes to travel to.

2. Make foreign ships part of the "plot" such as there is one, of the game. Say what you will about the "sorrow and tragedy of the IJN," (literally the response of Kadokawa), but foreign support of the combined fleet should mean more plentiful resources and an easier time harvesting critical resources like buckets

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    964 Post(s)

Talking

I don't see people abandoning the game last I was in Japan, and so far that still seems to be the case.

And app trackers show that AL is actually the one dying, at least in Japan, with revenue and installs falling over 80% over the past year. Comiket evidence too shows that rather than stealing KC's playerbase, the popularity of "shipgirl" games is falling overall in favor of more general fantasy. I'm not sure what justification you have for saying all that. Opinion pieces in magazines that we're published long ago it even recently isnt evidence like hard numbers are. They're merely opinions.

I also think it's high time people stopped asking for a Japanese game featuring Japanese ships, taking the Japanese point of view, and leveraging on Japanese fans predominately needs to cater to an international audience.

On the topic of abyss horizon, it's certainly right that you can't just reskin a game like this. Even if both we're real time, it still wouldn't be so easily portable. Anyway, the arcade game for KC is amazing in comparison, and it would be a huge downgrade to move to abyss horizon's base code. If you want an upgrade, better to bring sega's arcade code into the game instead of using what is, to my eyes as a game dev, the totally trash source of AH.

Last edited by DLRevan; 01-14-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Newly Registered ShinigamiRikko's Avatar
    IGN
    Rikko Shini
    Server
    Rabaul
    Rep
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I agree with the issue that Kancolle has QoL issues due to it sticking to the same playing system without changing much of it. Honestly the Friendly Fleet and LBAS were some nice introductions but the overall issue with RNG and the heavy emphasis on Ressource management hinder somewhat it?s potential. I only saw some tidbits about the Kancolle Arcade never played it but I saw some trailers and short gameplays. The premise is interesting especially if they port it for PC and/or Console but again same as Kancolle browser they need to revamp the system.

Azur Lane on the contrast never really interested me because it looked like a glorified Waifu Collection Simulator. Trying to make as many Characters as cutesy as possible (How many Anime tropes can you fit inside one character?) taking some tidbits from other games like the Marriage system of Kancolle and the moving around combat system which is like a worse version of Touhou games. Additionally, they try to add characters like the Neptunia franchise which is a relative popular series again just to cater to Waifu Collection. Sorry for sounding like a rant more then opinion but this is my opinion.

We lose what is certain when we seek what is uncertain.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I keep it short but I guess my sentiments is exactly the same as firemagnet.
    AL doesn't really attract me much due to waifu designs and there is no uniformity behind it.

My passion of KC really dropped with each new event coming out with no new ideas and just lugging the luggage along its journey.
    Currently on my 5yrs 3 months career with KC already, and don't really like what I am seeing in the current system

Abyss Horizon is what I would say going in the correct direction and I did tried it for a while, found it interesting.
    They have issues to fix but the potential is there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiRikko View Post
    I agree with the issue that Kancolle has QoL issues due to it sticking to the same playing system without changing much of it. Honestly the Friendly Fleet and LBAS were some nice introductions but the overall issue with RNG and the heavy emphasis on Ressource management hinder somewhat it?s potential. I only saw some tidbits about the Kancolle Arcade never played it but I saw some trailers and short gameplays. The premise is interesting especially if they port it for PC and/or Console but again same as Kancolle browser they need to revamp the system.

Azur Lane on the contrast never really interested me because it looked like a glorified Waifu Collection Simulator. Trying to make as many Characters as cutesy as possible (How many Anime tropes can you fit inside one character?) taking some tidbits from other games like the Marriage system of Kancolle and the moving around combat system which is like a worse version of Touhou games. Additionally, they try to add characters like the Neptunia franchise which is a relative popular series again just to cater to Waifu Collection. Sorry for sounding like a rant more then opinion but this is my opinion.

At this point in time, what Girls Frontline/Dolls Frontline has done with the system that Kancolle started (avatars for card collection, maps/worlds, grounded in historical fact, resource management) would likely be the ideal direction for Kantai collection to move in. But right now I'm just burnt out. Despite how much I love the characters, there's just no incentive for me to go back.

As for Azur Lane, it's beginning to die for me now. The US version is more calibrated for whaling when compared to the JP version to begin with; you get far fewer construction cubes and gems. Furthermore, apart from a few really standout designs (Cleveland, Laffey, Prinz Eugen, Minneapolis, Colorado come to mind), the majority of the ship arts are very generic. I basically fell off after the neptunia event, which was the majority of the reason why I played the JP version (and then the US version) in the first place. Combat feels like a chore, because, simply put, there's no variation and it's waaaaaaaaay too easy, particularly with how the dorm system allows you to powerlevel your ships within a few days.

Mind you, Kancolle could well benefit from a similar dorm system that would allow them to level slowly or at least ease the process of doing so; the anime already laid the ground for a "classroom" system that would integrate well with the more strictly military feeling of Kantai Collection as is.

As for Abyss Horizon

Abyss Horizon's problem is twofold:

1. Like Azur lane, it suffers from the problem of a lack of originality in art. Because games like Kancolle have already set a theme of using military iconography and historical cues as the basis for their characters with uniformity within classes, Abyss Horizon is one of those games that has had to improvise, to its own detriment; there is exactly zero uniformity even within classes for art theming, and even then the art ranges from mediocre to barely acceptable. In the latter category, aircraft carriers like Cabot and the design for Musashi are particular standouts in terms of piss-poor art quality and direction, to say nothing of the fact that the art for Essex is outright plagiarism from Azur Lane's own Enterprise. On the other hand, some art like Kiev (yes, CVG Kiev) and Texas (CGN-39) are strong enough to stand on their own.

2. Because of its legal status and having the dubious distinction of being sued by SEGA for IP theft or plagiarism, the game is in a half-finished state at best; resource farming is difficult, and some of the systems (including at least half of the expeditions) are nonfunctional.

Until Abyss Horizon manages to escape the black hole that is SEGA's legal challenge (unlikely), the game will never truly come into its own.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by firemagnet; 01-23-2019 at 07:56 AM.