Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank You!

@Morgane of the Mists Last month I went to the memorial ceremony for the USS Houston. It was really great! There were representatives there from the Royal Australian Navy, Royal Dutch Marines, US Navy and Marines (the Marine being my CO which surprised me lol), but the British Consular was unable to attend. Each one gave details about the Battle of Sunda Strait and chance has it that the two Australian officers were from Perth, Houston's sister city, which fought along the Houston during the battle. I realized when the National Anthem was sung it reflected almost identically the Houston's last battle. The Houston's battle-flag illuminated by star shells waving defiantly from the yardarm on the mainmast above a Marine manning a machine gun spiting tracers at the surrounding Japanese ships until both were taken by the sea. It leaves a remarkable image in your mind.

I want to thank you again for what you all are doing. I realized after the ceremony just how few remaining veterans and crew of all these ships there are and how important it is to keep their memory and the memory of the ships they served on alive. Here's a few pictures from the ceremony and a poem written by the daughter of one of Houston's survivors.

"Remember" by Nancy Greenwald
    Seventy-five years since our Houston went down,
    We remember with pride and never a frown.
    We remember our heroes who were oh so brave,
    As their ship went under while our flag still did wave.
    Our loved ones we honor today in our quiet way,
    Knowing words will never express all we wish to say.
    As they stand watch from up above,
    They must certainly feel all of our love.
    In the gentle breeze the Bluebonnets still sway,
    Stirring our memories of this fateful day.
    One by one they have met their final rest,
    All of them heroes, all of them our very best.
    Lest we forget--our heads do we bow,
    Remember Forever--that is our vow.

The ship's bell recovered from the USS Houston.

The base of the memorial.

The nations of the ABDA Fleet.

This is from the USS Texas which had an exhibit for the Houston and Perth.

Last edited by Stryker; 03-27-2017 at 03:32 AM.