Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1054 Post(s)
    @Danielosama I see that it's 32 though? Where did you get 61.

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5665 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kazenorin View Post
    Now that we know where it would take place...
    Is there a more clear view on what ships would probably be safe to use in E1 to E4?
    Not really. As far as we know, the potential candidate (as in the historical ships in Ironbottom Sound) are highly overlapping with bonus ship in E1-4.

The sexiest bridge ever made.

IGN
    Danielosan
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    @DLRevan When I hover over her HP it says "upper bound 62". How is the upper bound 30 points higher than her max HP?

Last edited by Danielosama; 12-05-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Death from above!

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1054 Post(s)
    @Danielosama If you mean the kancolle wikia, it's a reference to the formula used to calculate hp mod, not the actual upper bound for hp value. Taking your example, if you look at Yuudachi's page, the upper bound number there is 57.

30 is certainly much lower than I expected for Perth, though her overall survivability is about right. Sometimes the reasoning behind hp and armor values in KC are unclear to me, though for the most part they seem to be fairly consistent for the main ship types like CL as opposed to aux ships.

Her armor at 68 is on the high side among our CLs. Which means she's especially susceptible to being brought down by chip damage due to her low hp, relatively speaking to other ships of comparable defense. It's weird, but it does match the history of Perth as well as "as-designed" expectations for how Leander class would fare under enemy fire.

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

IGN
    Danielosan
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    @DLRevan I see, how does the "upper bound" value affect the HP mod?
    I was just very surprised that a ship with more displacement than Tenryuu/Tatsuta had such low HP.

EDIT: Jesus, even at Kai + married + modded, she would still only get up to 37HP, literally lowest HP CL (the only ones with less HP would be base KTKM/Ooi).

Last edited by Danielosama; 12-05-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Death from above!

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1054 Post(s)
    @Danielosama While in many examples displacement seems to decide hp, it's not always the case. As I said, it does sort of make sense to me if I think about what her theoretical in-game performance would be like looking at her hp, eva and armor values together. Either chip (not *scratch*) dmg very similar to a DD, or a huge shot under a certain value would be her main banes. At least compared to other CLs.

Last edited by DLRevan; 12-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

IGN
    Danielosan
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    @DLRevan Alright, but why her? Is that just the gimmick they came up for her?

Death from above!

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1054 Post(s)
    @Danielosama I suppose so. It's surprising they went about it this way, but not surprising that in the end, the fact is she's a little bit of a cardboard ship. IRL Leander class is definitely on the low end of survivability for CLs, even compared to ships like Sendai class who displace less.

By the way, about the formula, perhaps I worded it poorly. The upper bound does determine the max you can get by any means. But it's not the true upper bound for most ships, as that's determined by the max value marriage provides for a ship type, or the 2 hp limit on hp mod.

Perth and many other light ships have an upper bound around 50~60, but they'll never reach it as marriage gives them only 4~6 hp + 2 more from hp mod. It's relevant for some battleships and I think all subs, who hit their 'upper bound' after marriage and can't be hp modded, or can only add +1.

EDIT: You can have a look at the armor viewers for WoWs to see how the protection matched up. It's a game, so numbers may have been tweaked, but the armor locations are usually correct. Here are Kuma class, Tenryuu class and Leander (Perth) class. Click the red/grey box at the side in the viewer to remove the waterline, that will give you a better look.

Leander has thick armor over only a very small portion of her hull, protecting only the magazines and a small portion of her engine room, and I believe the numbers have been buffed up for gameplay, especially over the mags. She has barely any other armor, laid out a lot more like a pre-war DD than any cruiser.

Kuma and Tenryuu, even as relatively light CLs by WW2 standards, have more traditional cruiser protection layout. They have considerable protection to all their machinery spaces and magazines, and also an underwater belt which Leander class lacks, like most DDs.

You can see that Leander is very vulnerable to random fire, and even DDs can cripple the ship much easier than other CLs if they peppered her hull, which is also larger and easier to hit. Which is fine because these are DD chasers meant to chase down individual ships, not slug out with them in fleet combat, with high speed and range. Round-trip cross-atlantic trips without refuel are no problem for Leander class.

Last edited by DLRevan; 12-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

IGN
    Danielosan
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    @DLRevan Alright alright, I get you. I play WoWs a lot so I know how squishy Leander-class is, but I didn't know how much the numbers were tweaked for gameplay purposes.
    However, why was her lack of protection not reflected in her armor stat instead of her HP then?

Last edited by Danielosama; 12-05-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Death from above!

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1054 Post(s)
    As I said, it's surprising. I guess they had an end goal in mind for how they wanted her to turn out, and were unconcerned with how to get there even if it circumvented their semi-consistent rules on stats. It does change how overkill protection and scratch damage works for her, compared to other DDs or CLs.

Regarding WoWs, I only used the armor viewer to highlight the differences more visibly. Leander ingame is about you'd expect from RL, but a lot of other ships in the game have historically incorrect survivability, despite generally accurate armor layouts. Haven't played it in an eon though, so I don't know what it's like now.

Last edited by DLRevan; 12-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.