Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

General lore, design, and discussion thread

As you know, KanColle recently overtook Touhou as the largest fandom in ACG. With such a staggeringly large fanbase, there are a lot of supporting works - official or otherwise - that are budding off of the various settings.

My initial goal in providing a summary of select light novels was to provide the English community with resources so they can better craft their own stories or adventures. That being said, there's a lot of content out there still uncovered, and I feel that we should have a place of our own like the light novel or manga sections as a general 'discussion' thread where we can have a thoughtful conversation. Got a question about the detail of a light novel? A historical design element or rationale behind a ship girl's personality? Do abyssal ships eat fairies? Things like that.

After careful deliberation, I think the roleplay forums is probably the best place to put such a thread. It's nice to see signs of life here - let's make it livelier. ;)

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: General lore, design, and discussion thread

... actually that got my interest piqued, accordingly to some lore, ship-girl when sunk in abyssal area are converted into the abyssal fleet.
    What happened to the fairies afterwards? Are they eaten? Are the evil abyssal fleet so evil that they would nibble on our super cute fairies?

Depending on the answer, my affection points for the abyssal fleet would go down even more. (Though the affection points for Wo-Class Flagship is already dangerously low)

Rep
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

In Sortie! 1st Carrier Division!, you have a prime example of fairies being part of combat units. In chapter three, when Akagi bribes the fairies into making new planes for her (it's a Saiun), the Saiun pilot fairy is given a very clear description - including her yellow scarf.

For ease of storage, the planes are converted back into arrows that can be comfortably fitted to a quiver, and when a plane becomes too damaged, it turns into a broken arrow or gets shattered outright. This means if you take this setting's fairy lore every time you lose a plane, a fairy's dead in air or eaten by the abyssal fleet (abyssal fleet "eat" ship girls, after all).

In Kagero, AFAIK no fairies are mentioned in the setting. This is like the real-robot equivalent of the KanColle settings.

In Cranes, fairies do not take part in active combat. They're solely at base developing new materials. However, each of the ship girls have fairies helping them carry out daily tasks. For carrier girls such as Zuikaku, they're used mostly to recover arrows from after the battlefield.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

abyssal fleet "eat" ship girls, after all

They eat them ? That's some news to me. Do we know why they "eat" it ? (and what you mean by eat with quotes ?)

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It probably is a resource for them i guess? And eat would be within quotation marks since they don't actually eat captured shipgirls, my guess is they're converted to their Abyssal equivalent though i haven't read the lore myself.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “Watch your step… If you fall, you’ll damage the floor.”
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ship Count: (not including clones)
    HQ level 18 ~ 32 Destroyers (DD), 16 Light Cruisers (15 CL, 1 CLT), 13 Heavy Cruisers (CA), 3 Light Aircraft Carriers (CVL), 1 Aircraft Carrier (CV), 4 Battleships (1 BB, 3 BBV)