Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Constructing Your Waifu (Model Ships!)

I'll be up front with you -- I've just gotten into this over the past few weeks with the completion of my own waifu (actually a gift from a friend who'd been into model planes in the past), but I figured this was the place to ask since for all that Kanmusu are beautiful character designs, they were beautiful ships as well and I know many of you have a strong interest in the history behind them. I for one find that putting together a ship piece by piece really gives you a window into what she was like in her design, armament and complexity.

Do many of you share in that interest? Perhaps you've got pictures to show off post? Like I said, I'm an amateur, but I'm really eager to get better at this sort of thing since, for all that a 1:700 destroyer is painfully tiny (and therefore constructing one is a matter of incredible precision), I really enjoyed making my first Hatsushimo and have every intention to paint the next one and do it again! ^^ So, yeah, feel free to share your exploits in this thread if model ship building is a hobby relevant to you.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)

Re: Constructing Your Waifu (Model Ships!)

I don't have this as a hobby, but I did see those ship models with kancolle packaging for sale. So I got myself an Atago.

It came with the in game card in actual card form, and a few other accessories that are pretty cutesy.

The ship itself is pretty intro level though, even an amateur like myself who never built ships before were able to figure out what goes where :P

Rep
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@Kalinsre say no to water-line models! get the full ship! the scale of these models turn me off. they are too small for me to paint and larger scales cost a fortune. anyway thats heck of a job to build this model!

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanagant View Post
    @Kalinsre say no to water-line models! get the full ship! the scale of these models turn me off. they are too small for me to paint and larger scales cost a fortune. anyway thats heck of a job to build this model!
    Hey, waterline is fine by me. I like to have my ships displayed as a fleet rather than on stands. But you're right about the scale -- it can be so difficult for the likes of destroyers and other small ships. orz

And @Kalinsre, great work! ^^ I've seen those Kancolle-sponsored models and have always wondered as to their quality and detail. It looks a lot like the first Shimo I built in that regard. Thanks for posting, eheheh.

Commander
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I found a model shop that sell the Yamato and Bismark somewhat tempted...

Rep
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)

I used to build models (mostly planes) as a kid and noticed very cheap Yamato and Bismarck (very small and waterlined) models in a local supermarket. They were in the toy section and after I stared at them and the glues/paints for a moment a worker came to talk to me and asked "Oh, are you looking to buy a model for your child? These ones are really simple to build and we sell the paints for them." I left the store at that point somewhat offended.

Everyone has finally been rescued, leveled to their highest possible remodel and united with their sisters. Yay, complete kancolledex once again.

Rep
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I might consider building Zuihou (I love her camo), but that's quite time and money (a tiny bit) consuming, which are things I don't have in big quantities (also I'm lazy). Plus I only found waterline models.
    Concerning militaria, I've been interested in small-medium caliber guns (pocket pistols and SMGs) since as far as I can recall, but I've never really been into planes, ships etc nor models till recently.
    I got into tanks after watching Girls und Panzer last year, then into ships thanks to Kancolle. The idea of getting a model has been growing since then, first of a tank (Pz. 38t, or maybe the Pz. II) and now of a ship.

As for modeling, you might say I got some experience if you consider airsoft guns as models (I actually don't, but whatever). Gaz operated pistols' mechanisms are fairly close to their real steel counterparts, and I've disassembled/reassembled them many times. Also I've painted my MP7A1 this summer in a 3 colors camo (black, brown and green, inspired by flecktarn), and the result was pretty good, especially if you compare it to what other people have done to their gun (warning: it ain't pretty, even for a newbie).

Back on topic: maybe some day I'll build one. Probably of a small sized ship (granted, Zuihou isn't really a small ship), certainly after making something that appears for now to be easier to make, like a light tank (yeah, I like small things)

I'm also curious to see what ships our fellow teitokus might have built!

IGN
    Tomppelisusi
    Server
    Sukumo
    Rep
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I thought about getting waifu model when I move on my own if I have extra money, nothing planned yet though.

IGN
    エリート大和
    Server
    Hitokappu Bay Port
    Rep
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

>Draw her..
    >Remod her with 51cm twins
    >Retrofit her with Missile System

Making blueprints as of now

Yamato-kai "Yamato A-150-2000", forever my heroine

Tirpitz chan

My mommy Musashi and her little kid.
    Both of them can swim (The big one through RC power, the little one just through buyoncy)

Note that neither ship is completed on these pics. The little one is completed now, but i lost the pics of that... need to look them up again.

I also have a version of Bismarck, which i imagined has been salvaged and -mostly- put back together, as-is.