Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Constructing Your Waifu (Model Ships!)

@Choque
    Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1st Carrier Division's Road to Greatness: Akagi 118/150 & Kaga 98/99
    Bauxite Queen Followers Join Now! / Wanna Ruin somebody's future? Here
    All hail the Queen! 1:32 AM 6/11/2015

Commander
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey all. Sorry to revive a dead thread but I was just wondering if there were any recommended brands for IJN plastic kits? I've looked around in my local store and they've got a Shinano and that's it. I'm considering buying online but I don't really trust ebay listings or Amazon listings that aren't compatible with prime. I don't want to spend £40 and receive a piece of trash.

Thanks in advance guys.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@URSvAir14
    I'd recommend Tamiya and Hasegawa. I don't know for other brand because these are the ones I've worked with so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1st Carrier Division's Road to Greatness: Akagi 118/150 & Kaga 98/99
    Bauxite Queen Followers Join Now! / Wanna Ruin somebody's future? Here
    All hail the Queen! 1:32 AM 6/11/2015

Rep
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I actually have a 1:450 scale Yamato model kit I bought from the Yamato Museum in Kure. I saw the display set, it looks amazingly detailed.

However, it's IMPOSSIBLY complicated to fix up for someone who has no experience in this kind of work. I think it's like something like several hundred parts and 20+ colors of paint required or something.

So meanwhile it's sitting in it's box behind my katanas until I figure out how to fix it without ruining it...

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The short one is actually called Wakizashi That being said, I recommend looking around on YouTube for videos on how to get started with model building

Rep
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@Choque Actually that's a Tanto. But yeah the instruction manual iteself is really thick. Honestly youtube videos may help a bit, but I'm too afraid of screwing this up to try right now. Don't wanna break anything =/

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah, so it's shorter than 30cm. My bad. Anyways, I can see how it looks like a daunting task if you have no previous experience with model building. Maybe get a smaller, cheaper model to start with?

Rep
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@Choque That would probably be a good idea. I'm thinking a carrier since they're pretty flat. Shouldn't be quite as challenging. But honestly the painting will probably turn out terrible. I'm no artist.

Model building (especially something the scale of this huge Yamato model) would take so many hours. I honestly don't really have much time to spare now cos of work.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7823 Post(s)

And this thread gets necro'd again-

I ended up noticing the max factory 1:350 Shimakaze and threw a pre-order on a whim (link to the GSC page). I've had it a few weeks/over a month now and I've finished step 15 (of 47) which is basically just the hull most of the deck and the front funnel. It's a pretty nice kit I feel. I'm kind of lucky I didn't jump into this blind with no experience though as there's some pretty small parts that are fiddly to stick in the right place though. She doesn't come pre-painted, just a base coat of color (red is red, grey is grey, brown is brown, black is black and the propellers came a nice shiny gold.. no details so lifeboats are just grey blobs for example.) so I'll need to get some more white paint since mine is kinda... yeah it's not white any more but it's also like 6 year old paint so that's expected to be unusable. I'm pretty terrible at the painting step so I'm glad there isn't much that -needs- to be done to get the ship looking decent. A bit of white for the turret bags and for the covered lifeboats, and some brown for the panels of the uncovered life boats which if my brown paint isn't ruined I should have a decent enough color to do that with.

Only real mistake I've made so far is that I trimmed her left propeller pipe too short trying to stick it together meaning only one propeller is connected to the hull properly. It sorta dangles down from the hull like it's snapped off. I'm not too broken up about it, it's not that noticeable unless you're looking specifically for it if I set her out with the broken one facing toward the back of the bookcase.

Just worried about the decals now though, I am pretty bad with those at times. I might have to get some help to do it.

I got the one with the 1/20 shimakaze figure and rensouhou-chan (theres a slightly cheaper version without but rensouhou-chan is worth it-). What it doesn't mention is that she too comes with just a base coat of paint and to be crafted. She has a sticker for her face which is thankful for me otherwise I'd be having nightmares of doing it... unfortunately this means her legs are pure white and I am not the kind of person with stable enough hands to paint stripped stockings. Am I right in thinking you can use some tape to make perfect stripes? The rest of her I can get away with if I get the right colors but it's the stripped knee highs I'm worried most about getting right.

I'll post a picture when I've finished building her though it might take a while since I am pretty easily distracted. It's a nice kit though so If they make more and one I like I might consider getting it.

Will only return for Yuzuki.