Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Re: Constructing Your Waifu (Model Ships!)

That 1/100 Yamato looks awesome, most esp so since it's a scratchbuild job. And it would be massive.

I used to do a lot of model building across most military subjects. Aircraft (WWII props, modern jets), warships, tanks/APCs, helicopters.

As far as ships go, I had built up:
    USS Independence CV-62 (old Monogram kit)
    USS New Jersey BB-62 in her WWII form (old Monogram kit)
    USS South Dakota BB-57 (a small Tamiya waterline model, the only waterline model I ever did)

I've never built a Yamato-class kit up. The class has, IMHO, gorgeous "linework" for a warship.

Also, long ago this was done by someone: 1/72 scratchbuilt USS Enterprise, CVN-65, complete with aircraft and various crew.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

Kaigun Shousa (海軍少佐) skittleslol's Avatar
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ou, nice to see this thread necro'd alive again :D

Still can't find the time (and monies) to buy model ships though. Also KTKM-sama only comes in waterline model, which is kinda sad.
    Or if it isn't waterline, it's the Kaiten Carrier version of KTKM.

For ships I've built though, I've done Missouri and Titanic, as well as a Sovremennyy-class back in the days when I was still starting out.
    Had to leave them when we moved cities though. I hope someday I can build them again...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yuri is love, Yuri is life

IGN
    Hoshimaru
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

I don't have any ship models myself, but seeing the girls and playing this game made me think back on a 1/200 scale Bismark kit I saw in a model shop a while ago, shortly after I learned of the game and anime.
    She was $300 I think, about 1700pcs and absolutely gigantic, I think it was like 140cm long. The box was big enough that my girlfriend could fit inside it.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't pick it up and caress it gently and lovingly.
    I had not the money, time, space, concentration, skill, or passion to do her justice.
    So I let her go, but man I will remember that. Just like I still remember the model planes my father built when I was a baby that sparked my life long love of the sky.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Hoshimaru And I don't even have any particular feelings on the girl as of yet!
    That thing was just the most beautiful ship model I'd ever seen.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a question. Since starting this game I've felt like attempting to build some ships. However, I have basically no prior experience. I was planning on just seeing if this is something I'm really up to by purchasing some basic tools and a type 0 or something to try it out this summer. I am wondering how all of this sounds, maybe it's too much for somebody with no experience and I should not try this. Basically, looking for some advice/opinions (even if it's harsh). Also, are larger scale models more difficult or less than smaller to work on? I would think larger because it's more complex, but I heard of issues with smaller models due to the delicacy.
    Thanks.

Thank you to Hatsushimo for successful game entry via lottery.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MyAnimeList | osu! | Steam

IGN
    Hoshimaru
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

@Kalinsre I saw a Haguro model at the con this weekend in Kancolle packaging. I considered her, but that wasn't my immediate goal.
    (I'd like to hold off on further models till I have space for them)
    I'd love to have seen her painted, but being a beginner too, I understand how much of a pain it is to paint models. (I've only done 1-2 simple paint jobs myself).

Kaigun Shousa (海軍少佐) skittleslol's Avatar
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Yasu96
    I'm not really a veteran with model making myself, so take my words with a grain of salt, so to speak, but I find that ships are a bit more complex to make than planes or tanks.

Generally I think the difficulty of model making from easy>hard would be tanks>planes>ships, mostly because of the scaling. I usually find smaller scale models harder to work on since I've got poor eyesight and wrecked nerves in my hands but it might be just me.

Tanks are usually in the scale of 1/35 or 1/72 and are good for practicing I think, with generally bigger parts and easy placements.

Planes are the same size but smaller in scale, with tinier parts for the high quality models like cockpit instruments and such.

I've only made around 3 or so ships, at 1/1XX scales (and I think a 1/1XXX something scale for that one Missouri), and I found them particularly challenging because of very, very tiny parts and the need to melt down the stems for wires and rigging.

As for painting... well... we don't have dedicated model kit shops where I live so I ended up using cheap enamel paint (around 19PHP per can) and a paintbrush. I think you can do pretty well with budget paint though, lel. Want to get proper paint sometime though.

[+] Spoiler

Anyways, you could always try getting a cheap kit first to practice on before moving to the more and more complex high quality kits and such.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yuri is love, Yuri is life

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm planning to build this one,....
    tips?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1st Carrier Division's Road to Greatness: Akagi 118/150 & Kaga 98/99
    Bauxite Queen Followers Join Now! / Wanna Ruin somebody's future? Here
    All hail the Queen! 1:32 AM 6/11/2015

IGN
    Hoshimaru
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

@47KyO72 She's a card model?
    I recommend getting a good deal of practice in on papercraft before attempting any ship, let alone one that intricate.
    Mmm...this is up my alley, but I'm afraid without trying the model myself, I couldn't tell you anything useful on how to go about her.
    I will say this: if possible, start with the components you think will give you the most trouble. If you find those too difficult to build I'd refrain from the rest, as there's nothing worse than getting halfway through a build and realizing you can't finish the build due to tiny vital details.
    I wish you luck though and would like to see pics on here if you complete her.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@Hoshimaru
    Yes,... a card model.

I did make some back then,..... like this one,.... and a few of ojimak's papercraft like the Mig-29, the PAK-FA and the Raptor. Others, I cannot recall. But I think I am not enough experienced for this next build.

I'll post the pics later for the Papercraft I've finished.

I think I'll have problems with the Pagoda since it has lots of parts and many things can go wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1st Carrier Division's Road to Greatness: Akagi 118/150 & Kaga 98/99
    Bauxite Queen Followers Join Now! / Wanna Ruin somebody's future? Here
    All hail the Queen! 1:32 AM 6/11/2015

IGN
    Hoshimaru
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

@47KyO72 Looking forward to it. I'm familiar with ojimak's stuff, but ships are beyond me. As it stands, nowadays I can't even focus on something I want to build any more. I've got 3 unbuilt planes and a Meowstic lying around.
    I can't even imagine how quickly I'd loose concentration on a ship. The sad thing is, if I did it, she'd probably be beautiful, and I've got a decent number under my belt (around 40, including a life sized mannequin).
    Would you by chance have any interest in actual kanmusu paper models after you complete Fusou? I know of a couple.
    Good luck with that, she looks like she'll be gorgeous when complete.
    Then again, I should expect no less of Fusou.