Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative Discussion (SPOILERS)

Muv-Luv is split into three main parts and multiple other smaller parts.

Extra is the first part and it involves an average highschool romcom when our MC finds himself in a bed with a naked girl.

Unlimited is the second part where some dark shit happens, like I mean advancement of the human race, space technology, WW2 era ships like the Yamato and Iowa being modernized for "purposes", enforced military draftment, etc.

Alternate is the third part where everything goes real dark and scary. With the advancement of the human race, aliens called the BETA take over the moon and land on Earth. They first land in Poland and split Eurasia off from Europe. Russia falls and it's capital is moved to eastern Russia. The Middle East falls with a dmz being built at Egypt. China holds off the aliens at Turkey. Europe falls, etc. Human technology advances with famous modern planes like the SU27, The F-14, F-15, F-16, F-22, and F-35 being made (in their battle suit form), 9/11 (being 9/21), the atomic bomb (as the Q bomb), and WW2 era ships fighting alongside modern ships.

And note, in all three parts? Same characters, so you get to see some messed up shit!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KitsuneSama

Re: Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative Discussion (SPOILERS)

So uh what's the point of this topic..?

Anyway i loved Alternative, so much feels i never expected to have when i played through extra

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I just plowed through this just this past August after being encouraged to pick it up again after trying to attempt Extra almost a year ago. There are a lot of expectations going into this after I heard everyone raving about Alternative, Ultimately, it was a really good VN but certain things really griped at me.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My rating on this VN was 9.5 (+0.5/-2.0 polarization), the only VN to receive a 9.5 from me along with another VN, Ever 17 (0/-1.0 polarization).

Muv Luv Alternative had one of the greatest character developments in a visual novel to date, only merely disrupted by poor story pacing and huge (and sometimes unnecessary) infodumping. Still, the characters were amazing and the story panned out beautifully.

[+] Spoiler
    I cried when Izumi died.

If you have the patience to go through the shitty prequels, Extra and Unlimited, Alternative is an amazing VN definitely worth picking up.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m
    <@Dargoth> don't pretend you aren't the most hardcore otaku in the channel

Rep
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes, its one the very best Visual novels out there, made me cry when lots of **** happened.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any Place to get Muv-Luv Extra? I have been playing Alternative and i am loving but i cant seem to play first one.

Rep
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

@Malwar Fuwanovel... why play Alt without playing the prequels... it ruins a lot of the effect lol
    and yeah best VN i have ever read, damn last arc actually made me cry and was on the verge of it loads of time throughout the novel

Current Goals:
    Maya K2 - 60/75
    Chikuma K2 - 50/70
    Kiso K2 - 50/65

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@KisuneSama yeah true. But i have only playde like 5mins in the Alt but the reason why i didt play the prequel is that no matter where i DL the game from it wont work on my pc i have tried like half a year now to make it work , but the wierd part is work on my Before . dunno why it wont now

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ic alot of ppl of here loves muvluv as well~~

its like my favourite VN beating those other tearing one like from key and such... i was crying rivers when i finished alternative...

meiya best waifu...

IGN
    oriscus
    Server
    Iwagawa
    Rep
    Mentioned
    821 Post(s)

@Pudding
    I was rather irritated when I finished Alternative. That epilogue was pretty bad.
    [+] Spoiler
    The fact that Takeru mostly forgot everything feels like they just undid all his growth as a character.

That sad, a bad epilogue does not ruin a story. Just leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Anyway, as to the topic as a whole. I hate Muv-Luv. My distaste is pretty obvious if you see my avatar.

More seriously, Muv-Luv is definitely my favorite VN. I'd say it's actually one of my favorite novels. I even include Extra and Unlimited in there as they form a very core part of the experience of Takeru's growth. And all the connections and foreshadowing done in Extra are really well done.

But it does have problems as the generic intro world is a generic intro world. And the Lacrosse story was way too long.

My impressions of the arc progression and why each step is important.
    [+] Spoiler
    Extra: Establishing our protagonist and the worldview in which he was raised. Generic anime land with similar ethics to generic anime land
    Unlimited: Takeru learns about death and sacrifice and their importance in the ugliness of our world
    Alternative: Takeru learns about the necessity of sacrificing others. Culminating in his killing Meiya

I really need to get my older sister to read Muv-Luv. She knows absolutely nothing about it, so getting a reaction to the Unlimited twist would be interesting. Everybody knows about it, so it's hard to find a good reaction to it.