Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Shinmai Shosa (新米少佐)
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[In Progress] Play Kancolle without a system-wide VPN client (Chrome only!)

Hello all, this is my first post/guide on the forums, so bear with me :)

I was looking for an easier way to play Kancolle since turning VPNGate on and off is a hassle, especially when you have many tabs open/downloads/games running in the background. I did abit of searching and managed to find this Chrome plugin, Hola Better Internet! (link at the bottom of this post).

What is Hola Better Internet?

This is a plugin that allows you to view websites that are otherwise restricted by your country/the country you are trying to access. Because Chrome runs on a each-page-in-a-tab basis, it allows you to configure individual countries for individual pages, akin to a mini-VPN per page.

Do note however, that Hola works on a resource sharing system; essentially it bounces your traffic through someone else running Hola somewhere else on the planet (unless you purchased their premium service). The same goes when other people try to access a page in your country, they *might* connect through you.

So if you're overly conscious of your privacy/account being invaded, stop reading this guide now :cool:

How to setup for Kancolle?

Step 1: Download and install Hola! Better Internet from the Chrome App Store (link below)

Step 2: Turn off all your VPNs, and browse directly to the game's page or DMM's homepage (or wherever you like to access Kancolle from)

Step 3: The IP-block page should appear here. Now, click on the little fireball icon on the top right of Chrome (beside Chrome's Menu) to bring up Hola's interface. Here you will see various country flags which you can choose, to access the page you are viewing based on the country you choose. Select the Japan flag (If you cannot find Japan, click on More and find Japan in the list)

Step 4: The page will automatically reload, granting you access to Kancolle.

Notes

I'm not responsible for anything bad that might happen to your account/privacy & stuff. As with all VPN services, there is always an inherent risk of your personal data being exposed/accessed by the host.

Please read the fine print as well on Hola's home page for more information as well as troubleshooting in case something does not work as expected.

Links

Chrome Web Store - Hola Better Internet
    Hola Better Internet FAQ

- - - Updated - - -

## Reserved ##

Rep
    Mentioned
    4874 Post(s)
    A question: Do you know that the API method lets you bypass messing around with VPN stuff?

Shinmai Shosa (新米少佐)
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Too much effort though .-. I'd rather settle for a few mouse clicks

-> besides, you would still require a VPN in the initial stages of logging into DMM, so this is more of an alternate method I guess o_O And you don't have to go and dig your API key out every once in awhile