Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The next Maint will be on 18th Oct. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Snowing - That really does make me wonder... Many people, even myself included say to ourselves that we wish we picked up "x" instrument sooner. But as you somewhat illustrated, starting at an early age doesn't necessarily mean "talent" and "fun" fall under the same category. Especially when your parents don't want that money going to waste, it might feel like your skill is more important than what you want.

Sure I'm self taught, and came a long distance on my own, but I still feel that I'm not very skilled. I have my "moments" of ingenuity when I can confidently look back that I did something good, but I still yearn at times to know if I'd benefit in terms of enjoyment if I took lessons, if you get what I mean. Though I guess it's a good stress reliever - if I'm angry, I'll hammer notes, if I'm sad, I'll improvise on my emotions, in a ways it keeps me from maybe resorting to more... direct forms of stress relief?

Thanks for your input! Also I love SWR's music.... Suika #1 , DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE FIREWORKS!

@Ryuuoh DeltaPlus - Some really nice cover choices! How much work do you put into the voices? - i.e. do you start from scratch, or base it off of the original voice file to make it adapt to the other Vocaloid voicebanks? Either way, some really nice stuff, I love IA's voice, she's tied second with GUMI for me in terms of favourites.

@chronomeister - I think that "singing" talent can't necessarilly be judged by how harmonic, grand, or even dynamic one's voice is, but as you said, the general ability to control and utilize your voice. I've heard many songs where talking over music is really effective, where it's not so much singing like what people are used to, but it works in a way that can fit the music? Think of it more as voice acting in a musical manner, if you will. Look at beatboxing and acapella for example, they're still technically vocal talent that don't particularly require you to sing, per say.

@nwrtz - Stemming back to the previous point I mentioned to Snowing, do you enjoy taking lessons? Or rather, do you see yourself making progress towards what you want to achieve without feeling that the teaching element is an intolerable barrier like it can be for many others? Other than that, do you have any favourite composers, or franchises? In terms of emotional, and well written music, I've always found KEY's Visual Novels to have some amazing stuff - CLANNAD, Rewrite, AIR, Angel Beats, etc etc.

@S.Razelrink - -> Violin... The Parsee is almost pouring out of me as I read those words... gaaahh... Such a wonderful instrument, but I've never had the chance to learn. I learn from muscle memory as well, often I'll refer to MIDI, or use my ear to learn something. I can "sorta" read sheet music, it was how I learnt Lamune 79's from Narcissu (which recently lreleased on Steam), but it took a while. As for Touhou music... Broken Moon, and Lullaby of a Deserted Hell for me! ;) Loved the video as well, the name does ring a bell, but I can't put an exact memory to it, though thanks for sharing!

MY FINGERS ARE SCREAMING...
    I'll probably not respond more until later, going to play osu!mania, maybe some piano for a bit ~~

-: Even a broken clock is correct twice per day :-
    http://steamcard.com/do/original/Hawkward.png

Rep
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    @Hawkward

I think the mistake most people make is taking the first teacher they can find, I spent about 2 months doing test lessons with two dozen different ones until I found the right one. This is of course different if you're young and the parents are picking them. So for me personally yes I enjoy the lessons a lot and they're exactly what I want and need. Although I'm very lucky cause I found an amazing teacher. He is very strict, harsh, demanding and blunt though. But if you're up for that kind of way of learning it gets you results. People just have to find someone they can work with, for me that meant I wanted to be challenged every time and not cuddled and stuff. For example I have never heard him praise anyone and I doubt he ever will, he only has critique or silence to offer (he's Russian).

Have to differentiate between listening and playing them for your second question. I listen to almost to any kind of music if I'm in the mood for it but that doesn't mean I would like to play it. So playing mostly classical stuff is a choice, but youtube pianists like Animenz/Marasy/Kyle Landry/Ishter have some very nice transcriptions as well.(currently waiting for Animenz to release his Owari no Sekai Kara one, I'm a huge Yanagi Nagi fanboy ~)

Rep
    Mentioned
    1564 Post(s)
    Mom taught me the basics of piano when I was a kid. Didn't think too much of it until I thought "hey why don't I play Touhou music on it". I never had formal piano training and am really slow at reading the piano score. I much prefer listening to it being played then memorizing what I hear. For a casual player this isn't much of a problem, especially with the internet.

Guess I'll never measure up to people who play it professionally, nor do I intent to. Besides, nowadays I rarely play for the sake of playing anymore. The piano is mostly a tool for me to compose music. Even that is getting boring after a while...

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    @Hawkward hahaha the violin is a really nice sounding instrument - but it's like the kind of instrument that isn't hard to play, but extremely difficult to master and actually sound good! I find that most people are falling out of favour of the violin nowadays and are moving towards piano (or at least with the people I talk to)

and osumania!? do you play beatmania by any chance? :')

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    @SRazelrink

I'd play but that would mean disturbing my brother for a microphone and I don't like asking favours of him l0l

Quote Originally Posted by Soryuutown
    Episode synopsis: Soryuu steals a football from a group of small children, raves about conceptions of property and the Ego in an attempt to lull them into a state of constant egoism.

Rep
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    I've played piano for uhh... 18 years now. But my dreams of being a concert pianist are long over so I occasionally arrange some anime songs, occasionally improvise and compose a bit, and frequently cry myself to sleep at night.

IGN
    Illusion
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Music is major part of my life. I'm studying Music Production at University, currently in my second year and enjoying it immensely. In terms of instruments I'm a Bassist, self taught for 6 years. I've also been learning guitar and piano for two years now. I also own a copy Miku V3 (Both English and Japanese) and love creating songs with her. :D

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, this is very interesting. I love all of the beautiful pieces each one of you done in this thread plus I wish I could have a nice electric guitar along with a piano as a medium for composition. Well, on my end of this thread, I currently play only the Celtic Tin Whistle and Recorder Flute. It's a very pleasant sounding pair to have and I been playing these for like 3 months only. I can do some ornamentations on the instruments also. Well, enough talk for me and time to show what my training got me in so far.

Here's some samples:

1. Is a little something I did to exercise my mic bashfulness.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...by%20Dango.mp3

2. Is my practice with both Celtic Tin Whistle and Recorder.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...mprovision.wav

I really need to practice recording performance better.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I unfortunately have no recordings to show for it, I have been playing Violin since I was 7 years old, along with piano and flute since I was 12. I have also played Bass Guitar at some points. Everyone's pieces are rather lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, I'm much like @Enterprise in that I'm far too self-critical to feel that anything is acceptable to be recorded and shared. These days, my primary inspiration for Piano is Marasy8.

Shinmai Shosa (新米少佐)
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can you share some music with us....