Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)

Re: Himeuta Navy Curry Friday

Something simple this week. Shimakaze Curry: http://www.mod.go.jp/msdf/formal/fam...024/index.html

If anyone has translation requests, I'll be happy to do them.

[+] Spoiler
    • 200g Beef
    • 4 Potatoes
    • 2 Carrots
    • 4 Onions
    • Curry Powder & Curry Roux (your decision)
    • Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Butter to taste
    • 2-3tbs Oil

1. Cut beef, potatoes, carrots and onions into bite sized portions.
    2. Rub salt, pepper and garlic into the beef and put in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
    3. Next, heat some oil on high heat in a pan and brown the meat and set aside. Then lower the heat, add some butter and slowly fry the onions until soft.
    4. After the onions are soft, add the potatoes and carrots to the pan and fry for a while.
    5. Return the beef to the pan and cover with water. You can add a bay leaf for more flavour.
    6. While simmering at medium-low heat, skim the scum off the top.
    7. When the vegetables are cooked through, remove from heat and stir in the curry powder and roux to your taste.
    8. Cover and leave for 30 mins to 1 hour. Add 1 tbs of soy sauce before serving.

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Re: Himeuta Navy Curry Friday

I was just thinking of trying a new curry recipe when I saw this post, what timing! I'll try shimakaze curry after I finish these pork chops having a
    best before of... tomorrow.

praying for not having an untimely death!

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)
    It's been a really long time since my last post here but I found the recipe used aboard the DDG Kongou. Made it for lunch today and it was pretty good. Not as many weird ass ingredients found in the other curries.

[+] Spoiler

Ingredients:
    • 250g beef cubed (gravy or chuck recommended)
    • 2 potatoes
    • 2 carrots
    • 2 onions
    • 800ml beef stock
    • 100g curry roux
    • Chilli powder to taste
    • 1 tbs honey
    • 10g butter
    • 30ml cream
    • Some red wine
    • 2tbs tonkatsu sauce
    • 2tbs Worcestershire sauce
    • 2tbs soy sauce
    • 2tbs oil/lard

Method:
    1. Slice the onions into 8ths and fry them in a large pan over medium heat with the oil until caramelised. They should be soft and browned.
    2. Melt the butter in the pan and add the beef, potatoes and carrots to the pan and fry until the beef is brown.
    3. In another pan, lightly fry the curry roux on low heat until fragrant.
    4. Slowly add the beef stock, cream, honey and sauces to the roux. You'll want to add it gradually a little bit at a time to allow the roux to dissolve properly and get a smooth sauce.
    5. Add the red wine to the pan with the beef and vegetables to deglaze it. Then add your curry sauce to the beef.
    6. Let simmer for a while until the beef is tender and add chilli powder to spice it up to your tastes.

Now I didn't exactly follow these instructions because I had some good beef left over so here's what I did:
    1. Cooked the beef in a 120C oven for 30 mins.
    2. Heated up the oil until really hot then seared each side of the beef for 40 secs to give it a nice crust.
    3. Removed the beef, added the butter and fried the onions until they were caramelised.
    4. Poured in some red wine to deglaze the whole pan.
    5. Added about 2tbs of flour and the other powders then made a paste.
    6. Added the sauces, cream, stock and honey slowly to make a sauce.
    7. Put in the potatoes and carrots and simmered until they were soft.
    8. Cut up the beef and put it into the sauce to simmer for about 20mins.