Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Summer event 2017 has started. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    something that we've always done to give our spices more volatility (and hopefully give the curry more aroma and taste) is that we place whatever oil we're using into the pot, heat it up, then add the spices/curry powder in, allowing it to kind of fry in the oil. we do that until the spices have mixed into the oil, then start putting everything else in, in its correct order

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I haven't eaten anything in 2 days.

I'm hungry now.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m
    <@Dargoth> don't pretend you aren't the most hardcore otaku in the channel

Rep
    Mentioned
    4642 Post(s)
    I should make the recipe thing a weekly post. Every Friday!

But today...

What is in curry powder?
    Well the ingredient that gives curry powder it's yellow colour is turmeric. Obviously chillies and peppers give curry powder its spiciness. In addition to those, the basic spices found in most curry powders is: coriander seeds, cumin and fenugreek. To this basic curry powder recipe, a huge range of spices can go into filling out the flavour and aroma of the powder. Things like; ginger, garlic, fennel seed, caraway, cinnamon, clove, star anise, mustard seed, cardamom, and allspice.

Here's my favourite blend:
    [+] Spoiler

1/2tbs Turmeric
    1tsp Cumin
    1tsp Fenugreek
    1tsp Coriander
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    1cm piece of ginger (minced)
    1/2tbs Chilli powder
    2tsp ground black pepper
    4 cloves
    1/2tsp cinnamon

Find your own blend! Play around!

Rep
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tikka Masala is one of my favorites. YMMV on the specific types of spices that you prefer, but there are two basic components to this recipe - the first is the tandoori chicken. While most Indian eateries simply turn extra/unused tandoori chicken into tikka masala, I pretty much always make this from scratch. It's pretty simple though, marinate chopped cubes of chicken all morning in some freshly squeezed lemon juice, a cup of plain yogurt, salt and pepper, chopped garlic and ginger (powder works too), cumin, and cayenne. When you're ready to make the curry, grill the chicken (pan frying works too) and set it aside.

The second part is the sauce, which is a bit different from most other curries. You start with a base of tomato sauce/soup (homemade is best, but time consuming. I've used plain canned tomato sauce and it works well enough), add in cumin, garam masala, and spices to taste. The specific amount isn't too important - as my friend told me, typical South India families will use around 3 times the spices that our recipes tell us - but find an amount that gives you the flavor and heat that you prefer. Now comes the best part though - you will want to add a cup of heavy cream and some yogurt, depending on the creaminess you prefer. Let the sauce simmer and thicken for about 20-30 minutes on low heat, then add in the chicken and simmer for 10 more minutes. Garnish with some fresh cilantro and you have one of my favorite dishes ever!

IGN
    RapidTorrent
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    829 Post(s)
    Curry with a nice thickness and spiciness to it tastes the best. I personally do not dislike more "soupy" versions of curry but nothing beats the thick, rich ones. The texture is heavenly, and it goes well with bread, rice, or even noodles!

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    @RapidPotential hey! would you know how to get a more thicker consistency with curries? mine turn out runny really often (not a cue to insert diarrhoea jokes here)

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

IGN
    RapidTorrent
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    829 Post(s)
    A couple of ways I guess: adding cornstarch could help, adding less water than you usually do, or even thicken it with coconut milk, if you really want a more fragrant variant. I'd say if you use the last option, go easy on it because it'll make the curry really hard to stomach if too much is put in.

Waifu Anniversaries:
    Kongou (06/03/2014), 150 on (05/10/2014); 155 on (15/01/2016)
    Iowa (02/07/2016), 155 on (29/01/2017)

Twitch Channel
    | Ship Nut Calculator

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    @RapidPotential I do add coconut milk, but I feel as though the milk is the perpetrator in making runny curries! (again no jokes here)

IGN
    RapidTorrent
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    829 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Razelrink View Post
    @RapidPotential I do add coconut milk, but I feel as though the milk is the perpetrator in making runny curries! (again no jokes here)
    The water-ratio you have must be pretty high...

Also, just wondering, do you add potatoes to them? They do help thicken curry somewhat with their starchy content.

Waifu Anniversaries:
    Kongou (06/03/2014), 150 on (05/10/2014); 155 on (15/01/2016)
    Iowa (02/07/2016), 155 on (29/01/2017)

Twitch Channel
    | Ship Nut Calculator

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    @RapidPotential yes, I do actually add more potatoes in hopes of thickening it! the only thing that I think I have too little of, is oil