Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    IGN
    RapidTorrent
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Oil makes it runny. And coconut milk adds more than enough oil of its own to it already. ^^;

Waifu Anniversaries:
    Kongou (06/03/2014), 150 on (05/10/2014); 155 on (15/01/2016)
    Iowa (02/07/2016)

Twitch Channel
    | Ship Nut Calculator

Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)
    @S.Razelrink Curries can be thickened in many ways. Usually it depends on what style of curry you're trying to make.

South asian curries are usually thickened using a curry paste. The paste varies depending on the region of the curry you're trying to make is from. Indian curries have blended onion, thai has blended chillis. Just add about a cup of so of stock/water/milk to it and it should turn out nice and creamy.

Japanese curries are thickened with a roux. That's just melted butter with some normal white flour added. Spices are mixed into the roux. 50g of butter and 2tbs of flour can thicken a cup of liquid.

Another thickening agent you can use is toasted shredded coconut. This one shows up in some Malaysian and Indonesian curries. Just put the coconut in a dry frying pan and cook them over low heat until it turns golden brown. A cup or so will thicken a curry nicely.

One more way to thicken a curry is by reduction. This typically shows up in European curries. You slow cook the curry uncovered for an extended period of time until the amount of liquid in the pot has reduced until you get the consistency you want. This works best when you have ingredients that are high in starch (potatoes, pumpkin, etc) or gelatine (bones, joints).

Which method to use depends on what sort of curry you want to make. Some curry recipes are meant to end up soupy.

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @Leyana that was an ideal answer, and I thank you for that!

I've been trying to thicken my curries by pretty much doing the 'typical european reduction' method as you named, but it seems that no matter how long I boil it for, it doesn't seem to thicken to the degree I'd ideally want it to Q___Q but that's okay! I'll try the other methods sometime and see how it goes : )

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)
    @S.Razelrink Like I said in my post, you'd want to add ingredients with lots of starch or gelatine. You could cheat a bit by adding a teaspoon of gelatine to 1/4cup of hot water and add that to your curry.

It also depends on what variety of potatoes you're using. You'd want to use those with a floury and crumbly consistency. They'll dissolve easier and thicken your curry better. Waxy potatoes tend to stay in one piece.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)
    It's Friday again and almost lunchtime!

Today, I have a pretty typical Japanese Chicken Curry recipe.

[+] Spoiler

500g Chicken thigh fillets (cut into 2.5cm cubes)
    1 carrot (roughly chopped)
    2 potatoes (roughly chopped)
    1 onion (diced)
    1 clove garlic (diced)
    1 tomato (cut into eigths)
    2tbs honey/brown sugar
    2tbs soy sauce
    2tbs flour
    50g butter
    2tsp garam marsala
    2tsp tumeric
    2tsp hot paprika (more if you like things spicier)
    1tsp cinnamon powder
    1tsp coriander powder
    1tsp cumin powder
    1cup daishi
    1/2cup milk

1. First, melt the butter in a pot on medium-high heat. Then fry the onions and garlic until the onion is soft.
    2. Add in the flour, the spices and the spices. Continue to cook until it is all nicely mixed.
    3. Add the chicken to the pot and stir until it is well coated in the mix.
    4. Now add the potatoes and carrots and stir to coat as well
    5. Pour in the daishi, soy sauce, milk and honey now and stir until it is well mixed.
    6. Lower the heat and simmer the curry until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
    7. Serve over a steaming plate of rice

Now here's a tip, when cooking curries, it is best to use cuts of meat with a bit of fat to them. Things like chuck steak, gravy beef, scotch fillet, pork belly, lamb shanks, chicken thigh fillets, etc. The reason for this is that if you use really lean meat, the prolonged cooking time will cause those meats to shrink and become really tough. Not a very good texture. Cuts with a bit of fat in them will actually become more tender when slow cooked over a long time.

What are you having this curry Friday?

IGN
    RapidTorrent
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Funnily my mother just cooked chicken curry yesterday and I'm gonna have it today yet again for REAL LEGIT FRIDAY CURRY.

Waifu Anniversaries:
    Kongou (06/03/2014), 150 on (05/10/2014); 155 on (15/01/2016)
    Iowa (02/07/2016)

Twitch Channel
    | Ship Nut Calculator

Rep
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My mom occasionally made chicken curry for my family back home.
    Sadly, since I'm a lazy ass and never really learned how to cook well, I don't know what goes into it. I should get on that.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4222 Post(s)
    I don't post any curry recipes I haven't personally tested on myself or my family. So today I'll be trying out a recipe for British curry and see if I can pull it off better than Kongou.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to make Friday night curry till my work shift changed and now I work Friday nights...
    So it's a day late and Saturday curry for me.

Never tried making my own curry sauce, I always used the packaged roux... pretty lazy there, lol.
    I'm a meat lover so I usually put in one pound of meat in my curry, stew beef, chicken, cut up thick pork chops, lamb, or a combination of the above. Otherwise I make beef or pork katsu.
    Veggies include two carrots, two medium sized gold potatoes, and one white or vidalia onion.

Best part about this recipe is that I can use the same ingredients to make Niku Jaga which is another Japanese Navy tradition, said to have originated when Admiral Togo who visited England had a beef stew dish and ordered a cook in Japan to recreate it. Since said chef didn't have wine nor demi glace sauce, he substituted soy sauce and sugar and ended up with a new dish, niku jaga.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I'm going to like this thread. I'll have to come back when I have more things stocked in the fridge and proper utensils.