Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Yura K2 patch maintenance has ended. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.

View Poll Results: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • AJAX Threads

14 17.72%
  • New Features

65 82.28%
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

AJAX Threads vs New Features?

Saya here.

So I'm sure all of you guys may know about how ridiculous AJAX thread (the thing that automatically loads latest posts on the thread without refreshing) is in terms of resource consumption. Mainly because of this, I've been pretty much unable to add any good QoL changes to the forum. I would test it out on test forums and some of these interesting features hog a lot of resources; resources that we simply cannot afford with AJAX threads in place.

Due to this, I wish to ask the users if they're interested in keeping the AJAX threads or they want new features. Nothing has been finalized and we didn't PICK anything, but here are some that we are considering:

• Revamped notification system

Adds a top bar to the website which gives better aesthetic and user-friendly method to view notifications. I tried it out and took a screenshot.

• Making PM into an IM

Exactly what it sounds like. I guess it'll be somewhat similar to facebook ish in regards to how that PM works. Due to our decisions regarding live chat on forum though, there will be no chatrooms for forumers. It will most likely strictly be a PM system (that you can invite others to, maybe?) Still in brainstorming phase, not really sure what to come out of it.

• Revamped reputation system

Probably keeping the actual system intact (still in debate/brainstorming phase), but changing how this stupid thing works.

• Implementation of a photo gallery

Exactly as it sounds. Features based on what I read seems really really nifty though.

• Implementation of a file sharing service

Same as above, exactly as it sounds.

• etc etc... (a lot of things in mind, just not sure how realistic they are in terms of integration)

I think AJAX threads module is a really handy tool and I'm more than willing to accept keeping it if that's what users desire. But if perhaps you guys actually don't want it as much as I thought, then perhaps we can better use resources on something else. I'll create a simple poll based on whether you want to keep or discard AJAX changes for other features. Everyone, including staff members, is more than welcome to vote and give their opinions. Himeuta needs to keep moving forward, just like all of us! We'll need your ideas to better the environment for everyone involved.

EDIT: A small thing I would like to add is, there IS a way to have both new features and AJAX threads, but that would mean I would have to narrow the members using AJAX threads somehow. That would most likely mean I would probably be forced to give such feature to monthly subscribers only, not something you and I will both appreciate. But do think about that as well!

<@Saya> wat is ani3m
    <@Dargoth> don't pretend you aren't the most hardcore otaku in the channel

Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

Re: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    • Revamped notification system

Adds a top bar to the website which gives better aesthetic and user-friendly method to view notifications. I tried it out and took a screenshot.
    Being able to see who mentioned/quoted you on the same page instead of the current need to go to a separate page would definitely be nice.

• Making PM into an IM

Exactly what it sounds like. I guess it'll be somewhat similar to facebook ish in regards to how that PM works. Due to our decisions regarding live chat on forum though, there will be no chatrooms for forumers. It will most likely strictly be a PM system (that you can invite others to, maybe?) Still in brainstorming phase, not really sure what to come out of it.
    No comment on this, I rarely use PMs. It does sound really nice on paper though.

• Revamped reputation system

Probably keeping the actual system intact (still in debate/brainstorming phase), but changing how this stupid thing works.
    No comment on this.

• Implementation of a photo gallery
    • Implementation of a file sharing service
    This is unnecessary imo. External services like imgur and dropbox etc work fine. Feels like this one in particular would be the most resource intensive (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm iffy about its reliability even after implementation (judging from the current Reference Locally thing GCT has).

sometimes i stream using hitbox, sometimes twitch

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@Zylphe These are just couple ideas I thought of on top of my head. The point is not to discuss the actual features being implemented, but to talk about whether it's worth dropping AJAX threads to add other QoL changes to the forum. That's our main discussion. Other ideas are more than welcome, however.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m

IGN
    artificial88
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

>AJAX thread module or new features

I'd rather make this forum more stable, so I'm going for new features. If someone wants my attention, he can simply give me a mention anywhere in this forum. It might mean constant F5 spamming for those who hang around in GCT though. I guess it's a question of whether the users are fine with a slow-paced GCT or they want to keep the thread the way it is right now.

I also wonder if we can restrict the thread auto-refresh to specific threads only, and how much resources it uses up compared to keeping it on all the threads in this forum.

>revamped notification system

From a design standpoint, I'm all for it. There's lots of unused space on the top left corner, and I'm glad we're making use of it now.

>photo galleries and file sharing

I don't really need these in this forum. Like Zylphe said, there are other sites dedicated for this. I'd rather keep resource consumption as low as possible.

>tfw dead inside
    FB PAGE | DEVIANTART | STEAM
    HQ103 | WANTED: >>I-58 NO.2<< | TAIHOU | YAMATO | IOWA | OYASHIO

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by artificial View Post
    I also wonder if we can restrict the thread auto-refresh to specific threads only, and how much resources it uses up compared to keeping it on all the threads in this forum.
    We can, but since most of the reloading is on GCT anyway so it's not like it actually helps reducing the load, haha.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m

Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

Well, tbh the AJAX thread is practically only important for GCT; most other threads don't update fast enough and don't rely on constant user-to-user interaction as much as GCT. (e.g. I can post something in another thread and get an answer hours later without it being forgotten, but if GCT doesn't notice that one post then it's basically lost to the void). So as artifical said, is it possible to have our cake and eat it too?

...And just as I was typing that, Saya replies. Ironically that almost disputes my point

Yeah, it's a hard choice. Though I guess if there isn't auto-refresh, then GCT slows down for everyone so maybe everyone will be able to catch up on the posts anyway

sometimes i stream using hitbox, sometimes twitch

Server
    Iwakawa
    Rep
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)

@Saya I found that AJAX auto-update thing as something really cool I had never seen on other forums.

after using it a lot however, I have found that I still refresh the page manually to make sure I do not miss posts. it also pushes posts off the screen while I am reading

I was thinking it does not do much for threads other than GCT. is it separate from the mention system? I like the location we currently have for mentions, it really catches the eye when one pops up

to sum up my thoughts on AJAX: I like it but find several parts of it redundant

IGN
    artificial88
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

We can, but since most of the reloading is on GCT anyway so it's not like it actually helps reducing the load, haha.
    Then we can either make it a privilege for premo users or the like, or just scrap it altogether. Either way, your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylphe View Post
    Well, tbh the AJAX thread is practically only important for GCT; most other threads don't update fast enough and don't rely on constant user-to-user interaction as much as GCT. (e.g. I can post something in another thread and get an answer hours later without it being forgotten, but if GCT doesn't notice that one post then it's basically lost to the void). So as artifical said, is it possible to have our cake and eat it too?

...And just as I was typing that, Saya replies. Ironically that almost disputes my point

Yeah, it's a hard choice. Though I guess if there isn't auto-refresh, then GCT slows down for everyone so maybe everyone will be able to catch up on the posts anyway
    I think GCT regulars can get used to the lack of auto-refresh rather easily. Most forums with some sort of random thread don't bother with it anyway.

>tfw dead inside
    FB PAGE | DEVIANTART | STEAM
    HQ103 | WANTED: >>I-58 NO.2<< | TAIHOU | YAMATO | IOWA | OYASHIO

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2270 Post(s)

I'm alright without the AJAX thread stuff, considering it's probably most in use in the GCT compared to anywhere else in the forum, barring some event/other game threads (which is what...a few 10-someodd threads out of over four thousand?), especially if it makes the forum better through some other means. Also when AJAX auto-refreshes, it has a tendency to "eat" posts until you hard refresh anyways...

I'm not exactly sure what else I can add to all this. Of the features you're proposing, the only one that really sticks out to me is the notification revamp. I'll echo the others that having a photo gallery/file sharing system is not needed, though. There's plenty of other options for those elsewhere.

"Sometimes, a quiet companion is best."
    Enlistment: A Story from the Observer (Part Twenty-six Complete!)
    Twitch | Status: Offline

oniichan
    Rep
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

One thing you can do is make AJAX a subscriber thing or make it where subscribers have the normal 30 update and non subscribers have a longer time like 60 seconds