Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • AJAX Threads

14 17.72%
  • New Features

65 82.28%
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Kaigun Shosho (海軍少将) ScarletSoul's Avatar
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

I'd take either a total loss or a limiting of Auto Update-chan for some new features on the forums. As mentioned, the AJAX thread stuff only really affects GCT currently. And even then, I notice that it tends to start missing posts after a while if you don't refresh the page. Or it starts pushing posts you want to read.
    Losing it for shiny new features isn't really a big change. We'll just end up using the F5 key more often.

Scarlet's Disclaimer: If the post above this promises DOOM in some way, shape, or form related to anything with an RNG factor in it; just remember that Lady Luck hates Scarlet's guts. So you're probably fine.

Discord and Chaos! Come chat with us on the dark side!

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@ktkrk8 No, I can't afford to do that. That would still make the load pretty heavy.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m
    <@Dargoth> don't pretend you aren't the most hardcore otaku in the channel

Commander
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To be honest most of the time AJAX doesn't work for me - I still just refresh pages when I want to see new posts. Even if it did work I'd prefer to get new features instead of not having to press a key on my keyboard every few minutes. It might be a different case for people who sit in GCT but I'm sure most of them would prefer to use an IM based system anyway.

Rep
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

While the AJAX threads are a nice feature, I still find myself refreshing out of both habit and because it does start to work less effectively the longer it runs. If you were having a conversation with someone in GCT, you can just name them for the notification or vice-versa and the key factors are still there. People might miss out on a few posts if they look away for a few minutes, but that might have happened anyway at the rate GCT sometimes moves. I would consider it a luxury since most forums don't have it and would probably pay for it if I ventured into the GCT more. I find the 50 or odd guests watching the GCT might have an opinion, but whether they voice it is another thing.

Rep
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Auto refreshing is kind of nice but since it's useful mainly for GCT why not replace it with a regular chat?

HQ105 | @6-3 | Kanzukan: 221/350 - 139/210 [+14/+5]

Missing: Hatsukaze, Graf Zeppelin, Okinami, Arashi.

IGN
    Subpyro
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Personally, I've never really found too much use in AJAX threads. Therefore, I would be all up for their removal. What I would also like to express is that we do not necessarily have to push resource consumption to the uttermost limits. In other words, even if it wouldn't mean adding new features or upgrading the current ones, I would personally still be up for the removal of AJAX threads just to lower the load. However, if there are handy features planned, I won't push them away. ;)

Revamped notification system
    Judging from the screenshot shared, I'm all up for this change and would in fact really like to see it implemented. Both aesthetically- and organization-wise, I believe this would be a splendid improvement.

Making PM into an IM
    I'm personally fine with either PM or IM, so it doesn't play much of an importance to me. Whether the change would be done or not, I would go with it.

Revamped reputation system
    This is one matter that will probably require quite a lot of thinking and discourse to shape on a neutral and balanced way. However, as pretty much the majority of those who know me are aware, this change is something I would really like to see happen. Whether in the shape of remodel, a new system addition, or however we would deem most appropriate and efficient.

Implementation of a photo gallery
    Cannot really say I'm too much of a fan of such a feature, but I don't really have any complaints either. I would, however, personally put it under the lowest priority section on the potential to-do list.

Implementation of a file sharing service
    This might actually come handy at various occasions, but I'm a bit worried about the consumption rate such a feature could bring. Besides that, it might just end up really good.

etc etc...
    The more ideas the merrier, even if they do not take action at the end of the day. We should probably keep a log of them, though. Down to detail we might come up with at that time.

Rep
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I'd love new features but at the same time I love update-kun to death.

I would say it's really hard to follow a thread like GCT without AJAX. The times that we haven't had update-kun, I've felt that I've miss so much and that I always had to catch up but still wound up a page behind.

Can you limit the thread that have AJAX enabled? Let's say for instance GCT, event, or update threads were the only threads using AJAX. This way you'd still have resources for features.

Leyana colored for me!<3 Alt Siggy by El Lagarto
    HQ:107 Playing since:02/10/14 Collection complete! 5/7/2015

Rep
    Mentioned
    648 Post(s)

@Chanpuru I think half the problem is that by doing that we're not reducing server load much, if at all.

I personally pop in and out of the GCT, and I don't find AJAX helps much. But, I do feel like AJAX+GCT kinda makes Himeuta... unique?
    @Argho has a point though. A regular chatbox/shoutbox could replace what GCT does, even if not perfectly.

Either way, +1 to the QoL from me. A revamped notification system is always good, if nothing else.

Rep
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobununga View Post
    @Chanpuru I think half the problem is that by doing that we're not reducing server load much, if at all.

I personally pop in and out of the GCT, and I don't find AJAX helps much. But, I do feel like AJAX+GCT kinda makes Himeuta... unique?
    I never see over 100 users in GCT. When you are talking about a couple of threads vs the whole board, I think it would make a huge impact.

Personally, yes I've never been on a forum that had it.

Leyana colored for me!<3 Alt Siggy by El Lagarto
    HQ:107 Playing since:02/10/14 Collection complete! 5/7/2015

Rep
    Mentioned
    648 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    We can, but since most of the reloading is on GCT anyway so it's not like it actually helps reducing the load, haha.
    @Chanpuru fyi