Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • AJAX Threads

14 17.72%
  • New Features

65 82.28%
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: AJAX Threads vs New Features?

If I get the things right with the notification idea, it will tell you instantly if someone mentionned you and/or quoted you, like on facebook right ?
    If you have this, I guess you can afford to reload manually on GCT for the messages not mentionning you. You won't miss anything that was adressed to you. This notification thing is best idea in the ones, you're proposing in my opinion.

I think it's worth trying. We had sometimes GCT without the auto-refresh. Yes it was a bit slower but we were still chatting on it and it wasn't a big problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

@nobununga Even if that's true, I'd like to give it a try. The load difference maybe more than we expect.

I'd just believe that AJAX makes many threads like GCT wonderful and that'd it be a shame to see it go. So if possible, why not just a limit the threads first and see the load difference. If it doesn't make a dent so be it, but we don't know until we try.

Leyana colored for me!<3 Alt Siggy by El Lagarto
    HQ:107 Playing since:02/10/14 Collection complete! 5/7/2015

IGN
    Aquan
    Server
    Saiki Bay
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Well, AJAX is certainly a convenient thing, but if it ends up allowing the site move forward, I suppose going the F5 route wouldn't be so bad :P I do wonder about how it would affect the site overall, tho.

• Revamped notification system

Pretty nice idea, having the notifications would certainly be helpful with not having to go into the mentions/quotes page every time I get a notification. Would it just be "click the notification to be sent to the post in question" or would it also be possible to view the entire post from that popup?

• Making PM into an IM

Not sure about that one, PMs have their use the way they are and I'm not really a fan of Facebook... I'd propably prefer having the PM system remain as it is.

• Revamped reputation system

Ah, the endless struggle. Don't know what to suggest, but I'd say "go for whatever approach you deem sufficient". You're most likely not gonna please everyone regardless of what's gonna be changed/remain, so just go for the "lesser evil" would be my suggestion :p

• Implementation of a photo gallery

Not sure if there's much point to using the site's resources when there's already a decent alternative, in form of imgur or any other image-hosting/album-hosting site. I'd propably prefer the resources go to more vital things.

• Implementation of a file sharing service

Same as above.

In terms of AJAX, tho, my final opinion would be "I'd rather have it, BUT I can live without it, It'll get some getting used to tho"

Wedding calendar: 26.06.2015 - Taigei | 03.07.2015 - Katori | 10.07.2015 - Yuu-chan | 05.10.2015 - Kaga | 31.10.2015 - Umikaze | 26.11.2015 - Ryuuhou Kai | 07.02.2016 - Kashima | 05.06.2016 Ryuuhou

#Whalemamabestmama #punishmemoresensei #yuuchanmasterrace

IGN
    Laisy
    Server
    Hitokappu
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3706 Post(s)

If it helps the forum performance, I don't mind removing auto-update feature. Back then in the old GCT we manually refresh it and GCT is still going very fast anyway, I doubt it will affect GCT too much.

Nothing much happening right now, isn't it?

Laisy's Journey of Drawing

IGN
    クロノマイスタ
    Server
    Tawi Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Well the AJAX updater kinda sucks to begin with. Concept is great but still too buggy. If a request ever times out, it gets stuck in a endless paused update state (this was the main reason why people say auto-update died for them) and occasionally it would skip a post or two proly due to it being posted close to being updated.

So while I do like the AJAX thing probably more than the new features, I'm not going to be attached to a buggy piece of software. And I've already written a javascript autoupdater for the time you finally do kill the switch. Though it could use some improvements cause right now all it does is refresh the page. Gotta make it more AJAX-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzgalov
    it's only.. it's only game. Y U heff 2 B mad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm Edwards

Rear-Admiral
    Rep
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post

• Revamped notification system

I remember putting in a suggestion that each notification made now DIRECTLY loads into the said post and not have it load into the notifications page like in most other forums- i see a view all notifications link there so is it being put in?

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    • Revamped reputation system
    you can probably make the reputation system similar to another forum i frequent- which the reputation system has different icons representing different kinds of reputation- like/informative/insightful/hugs/funny/alarming/facepalm.

Date of Enlistment: June 17, 2014
    Tour of Duty: 2Y.6M.11D and going.
    Ships Sunk: 0 for 2Y.6M.11D so far.

FKG ID: 720014195

Rep
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)

AJAX is a very cool feature, mainly for GCT. But if it blocks the evolution possibilities of the forum, so, let's forget it.
    I like the possibility to have a new notification system, and the one @Saya showed in first is looking nice.

Revamped reputation system

Probably keeping the actual system intact (still in debate/brainstorming phase), but changing how this stupid thing works.

Implementation of a photo gallery

Exactly as it sounds. Features based on what I read seems really really nifty though.

Implementation of a file sharing service

Same as above, exactly as it sounds.
    Very nice stuff there. I have a question about the reputation system, you said "changing how this stupid thing works", while i don't use often the reputation system, what is your concern about it actually ? Even if we could saw relatively recently some dramas, it's remains (and hopefully) rare.

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/63/99/79/wi3nav11.png
    Thanks to @Neskape for this signature !
    Many thanks to @Fuda ! Regulars GCT are wonderful !

Rep
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Personally I prefer the AJAX threads over new features, but I'm fighting a losing battle here.
    The reputation system is working as well as it is, I've never seen a problem with it and so is a majority of the community.
    For PM/IM, I personally prefer the way it is right now.
    For photo gallery/file sharing, it's interesting but I don't think it's crucial for this forum.
    After all, using off-site image and file sharing sites has been robust.
    It might be interesting to host all the data here, but not an utmost priority for me.

As they say, simple is best. There's way too many forums out there that are bloated with features noone uses and dies.
    Himeuta's simplicity is one of its charm. Users didn't have to be bulldozed with bloated interface.

It might be interesting to keep auto update just to GCT if noone else cares, if there is a way to do it.
    Again, I'm fighting a losing battle, but just wanted to throw my opinion out there, it will get lost in the whirlpool soon anyway.

Goals: Find Yamato..

Siggy by kuavera. Alt siggy by Valkirion

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does the AJAX threads include the top 15 stats on the index?

If not, then losing auto-update, but keeping that to track at least GCT changes wouldn't be horrible.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@Miki They're two separate modules. So no, it doesn't include it.

<@Saya> wat is ani3m
    <@Dargoth> don't pretend you aren't the most hardcore otaku in the channel