Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)

Lightbulb [Guide] Expeditions

With this guide I'll go over the most efficient ways to farm each resource. I am going to use the Kancolle Wiki expedition page a lot throughout this guide as a source.

Quick Reference

Base Income:
    Fuel 3 per 3 minutes 5, 21, 38 3, 20, 37 2, 4, 10
    Ammo 3 per 3 minutes 110 + 108 + 119 = 337/hr 120 + 75 + 98 = 293/hr
    Steel 3 per 3 minutes
    Bauxite 1 per 3 minutes
    Cap = 1, 2, 5 6, 11, 35 7, 8, 10
    (HQ Lvl + 3) x 250 120 + 200 + 133 = 453/hr 120 + 50 + 40 = 210/hr

Optimal Ships:
    We'll start with ships to use or avoid. The first thing is avoid remodeling your ships since it can increase the fuel and ammo used. The exception to this are Destroyers that for the most part retain their low fuel and ammo costs. Avoid using Shimakaze, Z1 and Z3 all together, all other destroyers are fine. Submarines, especially Maruyu, are by far the best ship type to use when you can as they boast the lowest fuel and ammo cost out of all the ship types. Avoid using SSV if possible due to higher ammo costs and Shioi due to higher fuel and ammo cost. Subs can sometimes be used in place of Destroyers. The Mutsuki class of destroyers has the lowest ammo cost out of all the destroyers so make use of them when ammo is consumed. Yuubari and Verniy have a low fuel cost but a high ammo cost so use her on expeditions that do not consume ammo. Tenryuu and Tatsuta have a low ammo cost but their fuel cost is higher than Yuubari's so use them on ammo consuming expeditions. Houshou has the lowest cost in fuel and ammo for CVL's, Ryuujou and Shouhou are 2nd.

Akitsu Maru/Large Utility Boat:
    Each Akitsu Maru comes with a "Large Utility Boat" that adds 5% onto the total resources gained. This bonus is added after the "Great Success" bonus and caps at 20% (or 4 LUBs). The Boat is equipable on Akitsu Maru and AV's. She costs 40/10(45/25) to fully resupply and can be deployed mostly in place of a placeholder DD. Her cost makes her inefficient for short expeditions so use her for longer ones to make the most of her Boat.

Transport Drums:
    Currently all that is known about this item is that it is required for Expeditions 21 and 37 as well as the fuel node on map 5-4. For expedition use the Drum is required to be equipped separaterly on your ships. (3 for 21, 4 for 37 and 8 for 38)

Sparkling: How to do it and Why it's necessary
    To get the most out of your time spent running expeditions you want to sparkle your ships before sending them off. Sparkeling your ships will get you a Great Success which increases the reward by 50%. First you want to send your ships either solo or with a DD/SS to tank. Keep the ship you want to sparkle in the Flagship slot so they gain the most morale possible for each run. Modernization is key here as you want to be able to do as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible. Remodeling isn't necessary as it usually will increase the fuel and ammo cost and you want to be as cost efficient as possible. If you're sparkling a CVL you'll want to equip her with 2 or 3 Torpedo bombers and at least 1 Dive Bomber. DD's should be equipped with two 12.7cm's or 10cm's. CL's should be equipped with two 20.3cm's or 15.5cm secondary guns. Now once you have all equipment squared away you'll be sending your girls off to 1-1 defeating both nodes. You will almost always come out with you ship sparkled and ready to be sent off. Remember to resupply them when they get back and repair them as needed. You can send them out damaged if you prefer but repairing them can reduce downtime. It is also a good idea to keep some extra ships in reserve to sparkle for shorter expeditions so you can swap them out to reduce downtime. One important thing to note is that you must sparkle all the ships you send out to get a "Great Success".

One thing to note is that it is possible to gain Great Success without sparkling Expeditions 21, 37 and 38 albeit at a seemingly lower rate.

Primary Resources:
    These are meant for focusing on a specific resource.

Fuel is the lifeblood of your fleet and you'll want plenty of it to keep your girls going. 5, 21 and 38 are the most efficient expeditions to run for fuel. They will net you 337 fuel per hour, 397 per hour if you aren't capped. For 5 you'll want to use Yuubari and any three DD's. For 21 Tenryuu/Tatsuta and 4 Mutsuki DD's, 3 Transport Drums and a minimum combined level of 30 or higher are required for this expedition. 38 has a flag level requirement of 65 and fleet level requirement of 240 and is best run with Tenryuu/Tatsuda and 5 Mutsuki class DDs. You need a minimum of 8 drums for 38 to be successful.

For lower level admirals 9 can be used instead of 38. 9 works best with Yuubari or Tenryuu/Tatsuta and any three DD's.

Ammo is just as important as fuel and is much easier to come by and we'll be use Subs to save more fuel. 1, 2, and 5 are your expeditions of choice for ammo. The net 453 per hour, 513 per hour when you aren't capped. For 1 any DD and SS will work or use two DD's if you don't have a sub yet. For 2 use either four DD's or two DD's and two SS's, one DD and three SS can be used as well. And for 5 use the same group as you would for fuel.

Steel is your general purpose medical resource, you'll be using it a lot to patch your girls up. For Steel we'll be running 3, 20 and 37. These will net 262 per hour, 322 when you aren't capped. For 3 you'll want Mutsuki DD's and a Sub. And for 20 Tenryuu/Tatsuta and any Sub. For 37 Tenryuu/Tatsuta and five Mutsuki DD's, 4 Transport Drums are required and a combined fleet level of 200 or higher.

Bauxite is the meal of choice for your hungry aircraft carriers. To feed them well you'll want to run 6, 11 and 15. Being that Bauxite is fairly rare in game you'll only net about 203 or 223 per hour. For 6 four Mutsuki DD's. For 11 any four DD's will do. And finally 15 you have to send a couple of them out to get their own food, two CVLs Houshou and either RJ or Shouhou will work and four Mutsuki DDs'. 15 will take 12 hours to complete so keep that in mind before sending them off.

You can mix and match expeditions to get the resources you need the most. While they are not as focused on a single resource they can net you a more balanced income of resources. I would recommend you look at your current resource stockpile and think about what you currently need when considering what to mix into your set.

A few examples to consider (gross estimates):
    2, 5, 9 - Great if you need Fuel and Ammo: 189 Fuel, 333 Ammo, 73 Steel and 13 Bauxite per hour
    2, 5, 21 - Better Fuel and Ammo than above: 218 Fuel, 425 Ammo, 73 Steel and 13 Bauxite per hour
    3, 5, 6 - Good for a bit of everything: 155 Fuel, 164 Ammo, 133 Steel and 133 Bauxite per hour
    5, 37, 38 - Great for higher level Admirals wanting Fuel Ammo and Steel: 230 Fuel, 244 Ammo, 179 Steel and 13 Bauxite per hour
    6, 37, 38 - A fairly balanced set: 119 Fuel, 111 Ammo, 166 Steel and 120 Bauxite per hour
    Secondary Resources:
    The other three easily farmable that you can obtain through expeditions are Instant Repair Materials (Buckets), Instant Construction Tools (Flamethrower) and Furniture Coin boxes. Each of these has a chance to drop from each applicable expedition. Development Materials are also farmable but they are not as easily obtained as the others so I would recommend you look for other methods of acquiring them if you require them.

The chance of gaining items is based on the position they are in on the expedition screen. Items on the left have a 50% chance of dropping and items on the right will only drop if you have a great success but the chance is 100%. So expeditions like 9 for example can drop 0-2 buckets in this case the chance of getting them is 50% for 0 and 25% for 1 and 25% for 2.

Ex: The Coin Box (M) on the left has a 50% chance to not drop 25% chance to drop 1 and 25% chance to drop 2 regardless of sparkling while the Bucket on the right will drop only if you sparkle and get a great success.
    [+] Spoiler

For Buckets to repair your Akagi when she inevitably gets crit you'll want to head to 2, 4 and 10. 2 is the same as above 2 DD's 2 SS's. 4 take Yuubari and any two DD's. 10 Yuubari, Tenryuu/Tatsuta and any DD.

For Flamethrowers to build your Naka's faster you'll want to go for 7, 8 and 10. For 7 take any six DD's. 8 take six Mutsuki DD's. 10 is the same composition as above.

For funiture coins to make your office look somewhat decent you'll want to do 4, 6 and 20 for small, 12 for medium and 15 for large. 4 is Yuubari and any two DD's, 6 is four Mutsuki's and 20 is any SS and Tenryuu/Tatsuta. 12 any four DD's. 15 is Houshou and RJ/Shouhou and 4 Mutsuki's.

Experience:
    With the recent addition of expedition 22 it has become a lot easier to farm experience through expeditions. The downsides to this are that you lose a fleet that could otherwise be generating resources and that the experienced gained is lower than that of an hour spent grinding 3-2-1. But if you desire to use it the requirements are a flagship level of 30 and 6 ships including 1 CA, 1 CL and 2 DD.

Long Expeditions: For those with lives
    Some long expeditions to look out for are 12, 15, 16, 18 and 36. None of these are cost efficient but are still there to consider if you don't have the time to watch shorter ones. 15, 16 and 18 will cost you fuel and ammo so plan you composition for those accordingly. 12 only costs fuel so any four DD will due.

12 will net you 50 Fuel, 250 Ammo, 200 Steel, 50 Bauxite and takes 8 hours to complete. 4xDD
    15 will net you 300 Steel, 400 Bauxite and takes 12 hours. 2xCVL 4xDD
    16 will net you 500 Fuel/Ammo, 200 Steel/Bauxite and takes 15 hours. 1xCL 5xDD
    18 will net you 300 Steel, 100 Bauxite and takes 5 hours. 3xCVL 3xDD
    36 will net you 480 Fuel, 200 Steel/Bauxite, and takes 9 hours. 3xDD 1xCL 2xAV

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @HydraGoliath
    can u look up about Tokyo Express expedition (37/38)?
    because based on Hourlies rate in Wiki, those 2 got good Hourlies for Ammo/Steel and Fuel/Steel.
    personally i never do the calculation myself, but i find this 2 expedition is great help to get more ammo, fuel and steel.
    and because of drum canister mechanic, no need to full sparkle fleet to get great success..

never test it myself.
    But based on my personal experience. both expedition, without any sparkle ship, and around 14 Drum canister, my Great success rate is around 3/5. with 2-3 ship sparkling, nearly 90% it will become great success

Rep
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hudang View Post
    @HydraGoliath
    can u look up about Tokyo Express expedition (37/38)?
    because based on Hourlies rate in Wiki, those 2 got good Hourlies for Ammo/Steel and Fuel/Steel.
    personally i never do the calculation myself, but i find this 2 expedition is great help to get more ammo, fuel and steel.
    and because of drum canister mechanic, no need to full sparkle fleet to get great success..

never test it myself.
    But based on my personal experience. both expedition, without any sparkle ship, and around 14 Drum canister, my Great success rate is around 3/5. with 2-3 ship sparkling, nearly 90% it will become great success
    Yes, I'll go over that when I get a chance to update the guide.

IGN
    クロノマイスタ
    Server
    Tawi Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2341 Post(s)
    This is a great page for looking up what expeditions are good for what resource: https://googledrive.com/host/0B8ipTa...xpedition.html Don't know of any translated version though so I hope you aren't afraid of moonrunes.
    The boxes are from left to right, top to bottom: time window, AFK time (in other words all expeditions will take at least this much time), minimum amount of time expedition must be to send sparkle ships, minimum amount of sparkle ships to send on each expedition, number of utility boats to send, number of subs you have (since technically they are cheaper in the fuel department than DD to resupply), and whether maruyu and maruyu kai are included (cause 10/10 refuel OP). Then the boxes of the right are the resources you want emphasis on, e.g. if you only want bauxite expeditions just fill the bauxite with 1 and all others with 0.
    For example if you're looking for flat hourly rates fill in 1:00/0:00/80:01/0/0/0/uncheck/uncheck

There's one thing I don't get when I look into the code and that's the line "const EXTRA_SUC_RATE = [0, 0, 0.5, 0.65, 0.8, 0.95, 1]" which he uses when ships are sparkled. From the looks of it, it would imply that if you have 2 sparkled ships there is a 50% chance of great success while if you have 6 sparkled ships it would mean 100%(?) so I wonder if this is true.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's apparently possible to get great success with the minimum 3 drums equipped for exped 21, only saw it happen once so far though

Rep
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    I did a minor update to the guide since there wasn't really that much of a change for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomimi View Post
    It's apparently possible to get great success with the minimum 3 drums equipped for exped 21, only saw it happen once so far though
    That's good to know. Now I wonder what the exact percentages given by each drum are or if having more than the required amount increases the chance of great success.

@chronomeister That looks like it could be very useful although a bit difficult to use if you can't read it.

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydraGoliath View Post
    That's good to know. Now I wonder what the exact percentages given by each drum are or if having more than the required amount increases the change of great success.
    i think its around 5%.
    because i equip 14 drum canister in my exped 21 fleet.
    and i got 3-4 great success every 5 expedition..
    and if i sparkle at least 2 ship, it will be always nearly 90% great success..

but need to test more tho. because i dont use Logbook and i dont log it manually.. so i just use estimation

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm stocking up resources with Exp 2, 3 and 38. This set of expeditions is quite efficient I think, it grant 117 fuel, 238 ammo, 248 steel and roughly 1 bucket per hour. The fuel gain is rather low because it's tailored for my main fleet (I love running a fleet with 2DD 2CLT and 2BB). Ammo and steel gain, on other hand, is just excellent. Also, thanks to my 10 drums, I can get Great Success on exp 38 quite often even though I don't sparkle the girls, and that means potentially even higher fuel and steel gain. Docking has never been this painless. :D

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can CLs replaced with CLTs in expeditions that require CLs?

Rep
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KazeNoTama View Post
    Can CLs replaced with CLTs in expeditions that require CLs?
    No, they no longer count as CLs after you remodel them.