Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)

Low cost 5-5 fleet?

Low on fuel and steel. Is there a low fuel/steel fleet I can take advantage with vanguard in 5-5?

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5665 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ofi123 View Post
    Low on fuel and steel. Is there a low fuel/steel fleet I can take advantage with vanguard in 5-5?
    Nagato+mutsu+4dd. Basically touch and comp gacha at a low cost/run.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.

IGN
    Ferreae
    Server
    鹿屋基地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    A little more expensive would be middle south. It doesn't have the 'wham' at the boss (I think I was getting around 1 in 3 at the boss), Great passing rate, mediocre performance..and that was before the change to the boss I think (had tried it out last winter)

2bb, 2ca, 2 dd
    e.g.

Server
    Paramushir
    Rep
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    And the last one is 2BB 1CV 1AO 2DD middle-south.
    However, the right answer is the first one, if you are lucky at the boss (if you aren't, it could even be the usual 2BB 2CVB 2CAV).

EDIT: I'm going there with my usual fleet/formations (Nagato, Musashi, Shoukaku, Kumano/Suzuya, Zara, Zuikaku) and I got 3 kills (1 against the double Re) in 3 sorties even though I always got the red Re at the preboss node (her opening torp missed once and medium damaged Zara and Shoukaku the other 2 times). My 4th sortie also reached the boss but Nagato lost around half of her HP because of Re's opening torp at the preboss node and became medium damaged at the boss because of the airstrike (with no touch and double Re I got a failed kill). The 5th sortie reached the boss too (red Re at the preboss node was heavy damaged by my opening airstrike and so did nothing) and got the kill. The 6th one was a retreat (preboss node did its job) and the 7th one ended with a failed kill against the double Re because of a red-T (I would have got the kill if touch triggered at night instead of getting wasted during the 2nd shelling phase). In the 8th and 9th sortie the CAV was heavy damaged at the preboss node and the 10th sortie got the last kill. As for repair cost, it wasn't too bad since it was usually 2 medium/heavy damaged ships (Musashi was heavy damaged only once and Nagato never) per boss fight (exceptions were the 4th sortie that ended with 4 medium/heavy damaged ships and a battle against the diamond formation that had only 1 or 2 light damaged ships).

Last edited by Ink20; 01-11-2020 at 01:06 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Thanks! Guess I'll try my luck, though I'm not sure how echelon touch will fare. This is going to be my first time entering node C here.

EDIT: Took me 8 sorties to reach the boss. But S rank on double Re made it seem worthwhile. Opening torpedoes from Re almost disable touch.

Last edited by ofi123; 01-07-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Server
    Paramushir
    Rep
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    @ofi123
    So, did things get better (I was expecting a better passing rate with vanguard formation)?
    I'm just a bit curious if it was really low cost or the higher number of sorties needed made up for the fleet's lower cost (this month I needed 10 sorties to clear).

Last edited by Ink20; 01-11-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    @Ink20

Things were much better than expected after I gave up searchlight. It turns out to be very effective for me a so I kept the fleet for the whole clearing. It's definitely lower cost than my usual run from not needing to repair Musashi. While it's heavily reliant on touch activating and not getting bad engagement (mainly red T), it's not like my usual 5-5 fleet guarantee a kill on boss when I reach the boss.

The biggest issue for me was the LoS. Had to let Mutsu take a seaplane instead of radar for more touch bonus, could only take 1 star shell instead of 2 for guarantee activation, and had to let a DD be radar mule. Thankfully the sub is so weak that my radar mule can OASW with single sonar and kill it easily, allowing the other DDs to have a chance to TCI in NB.