Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Winter2017 event has begun and will end on 28th, Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Enlistment: A Story from the Observer

This is my first attempt at any form of fanfiction, so it might be a bit rough in places. I hope you will enjoy this look into my own bit of KC headcanon~
    Part One: Arrival

A young man starts walking towards a cluster of buildings. They seemed to be a recreation of an old schoolyard: There was even a front gate, with a plaque reading "Buin Naval Base". The day was windy, but warm. A good omen, he thought, considering the circumstances. Being summoned to a place he hardly knew, against forces people have only whispered about was not exactly what he signed up for. Given that the person who delivered the message was a girl who looked no younger than 20 certainly didn't help matters. She said the message was "confidential" and to not discuss it with anyone. He tried to press for a name, but the girl refused with a beaming smile. He scoured his information network for anything he could muster about his contact, but found next to nothing at first. Eventually he did find out some things about his enemies, along with how they were pushed back.

They were called the Abyssals, and from what he could gather, the name was fitting. Amalgamations of metal and flesh, they seemed like demons from some science fiction horror story. Stark black and white with glowing eyes, cannons and tubes seemingly grafted directly onto them, all for some sinister purpose. Some even looked human, and speculation pegs those ones to be the leaders of some unknown hierarchy. The odd part to many was that the human-like Abyssals all looked female, and from the pictures he saw, beautiful by most standards. Perhaps that was partially how they were able to take control of the seas so easily. That, and most conventional arms did nothing to even faze them. That was when he stumbled upon a folder with the word "Kanmusu" among the pictures and documents of the Abyssals and the destruction they left in their wake. Combing its contents surprised him. In contrast to the often jagged and rough looking Abyssals, the pages showed cards depicting what looked to be human girls ranging from 10 to 30 years of age, with a paragragh and a small graph of some sort next to each one. Flipping to the back of the folder, a slip of paper dropped on the desk. It looked to be a recuitment poster of some sort. The young man smirked. Maybe he could get some more answers from them...

The young man shakes his head as he passes through the gate. Best not to get too lost in thought now.

As he continues to walk, he feels like he's being watched, even though there seems to be no one around. He was used to it, considering his odd looks compared to most. Short, raven black hair that has turned to silver at the tips; left eye of gold, the other dark brown; thin and lanky, with little muscle. He wears a long-sleeved black shirt covered by a dark grey coat, light brown pants and military-style boots. He gives off the impression of a fantasy character, pulled into the modern age.

"Umm, e-excuse me..." A nervous, female voice behind him penetrates the relative quiet of the campus, stopping the young man in his tracks. He hears a gulp. "A-are you the new Admiral?"

How did she sneak up on me? he thought. She sounds friendly enough though...He turns to see a young woman dressed in a sailor outfit, fidgeting. She glances at a slip of paper in one hand. "He certainly fits the description..." she mutters to herself.

The young man smiles, hands in his pockets. "Yes, I have just been assigned to this...base. Lieutenant-Commander Minato Gidemo." He does a slight bow. "And you are...?"

"Light Cruiser N-Natori, sir. I'll t-try not to trouble you too much!" She does a deep bow, both hands clasped to her ample chest. She breathes a sigh of apparent relief. "Umm, should I show you to your office then...Admiral-san?"

"Lead the way."

Natori and Minato walk side-by-side through the courtyard and some empty halls. As they walk, she points out various facilities of the base as they pass: Cafeteria/Mess hall, practice areas, classrooms complete with desks. They all seemed to have been used recently, but are empty now. She also explains that the factory is opposite of where they're currently heading.

After passing several doors, the light cruiser finally stops at one of them. A plaque labeled "Headquarters" in Kanji rests above the frame. She turns to her new Admiral. "There are only a few other girls stationed here with me...I think some are in here right now." Pushing open the door, Minato indeed sees two girls tidying up the room. The one dusting a chest of drawers, in a light purple coat with short hair, looks to be around Natori's age and build, at least from the back. The other, wiping down the desk somewhat facing the door, was younger-looking, with long black hair covering one of her eyes. A blackboard behind the desk and a simple, rectangular window on the far wall completed the room. The young one nods towards Natori to acknowledge her, but stops upon seeing Minato, giving him a quizzical look.

Natori smiles and gives a small salute. "The new Admiral is here, Hayashimo-san, Haguro-san." Hayashimo stops working and quickly runs up to the pair, her eyes sparkling. The other girl also turns towards the door. "Ah, Natori-chan, he's here already? I hoped we could get more ready..."

Minato chuckles. "My name's Minato Gidemo. I look forward to working with all of you."

"The wise man knows his fate. The fool merely finds it."
    Enlistment: A Story from the Observer (Part Twenty-five Complete!)
    Twitch | Status: Offline

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Re: Enlistment: A Story from the Observer

Part Two: Introductions

"Let me finish up first..." Haguro said as she continues to dust the drawers. Natori goes off to help clean the rest of the room, leaving Minato and Hayashimo in the doorway. He keeps his eye on her as she slowly -and silently- scans him.

"Hello again." The acknowledgement causes the girl to snap to attention, a blush across her face. "Hayashimo...was it?" A nod of the head: Yes. "Nervous?" Another nod, her blush increasing. I guess she's not used to this. He scratches his head. "That makes two of us. One last question for now..." Hayashimo perks up. "Can you speak?" She fidgets for a moment, walks closer to him, then pulls on his coat. Hunching down so they're at eye level with each other, the girl whispers these words to him.

"Yes, but not very loudly...Sorry."

So she's mostly mute...Interesting. "Is that so..." He puts his hand on her head and smiles, making her jump a little. "That shouldn't be much of a problem for me. I look forward to working with you." As Minato stands back up, Haguro approaches the pair, with Natori close behind.

"Cleaning's done for now. And I see you're already adjusting well, Commander-san." She gives a warm smile.

He closes one eye and scratches his head. "You think so? And what's with the 'Commander'? No need to be so formal with me...unless you want to?"

"It...helps me focus." She folds her hands in front of her, looking down and away. "The previous Admiral was...rather harsh about rules." Natori flinched as if in pain, while Hayashimo shivered.

Minato raises an eyebrow. "Sounds like a touchy subject...Well, do what feels comfortable to you, I guess." He clears his throat, causing all three girls to look towards him. "Anyways, I don't believe you've introduced yourself." He motions to Haguro.

"I-I-I'm sorry! H-Heavy Cruiser Haguro, reporti-ow!" She stands to attention and gives a swift salute, hitting herself squarely on the forehead. In a low voice she whimpers, "Uuuu...I'm sorry..."

She looked so dignified before..How cute. Minato chuckles. "It's fine. This shows you're more than just a weapon of war, despite what others will tell you." He claps his hands together. "Now then, I'd normally say 'Let's get to work', but...I haven't eaten anything at all today."

The sparkle in her eyes (though only one was really visible) returning, Hayashimo bolted past him and down the corridor. As Minato turned to follow after her, Natori remarks, "It's good to see her in high spirits again, Haguro-san."

Haguro stopped rubbing her forehead and nodded. "She hasn't been this adamant to do anything since the day we found her...and upon hearing of your impending arrival, Commander. What did you do to her?"

Minato shrugged his shoulders slightly. "Be nice to her? She seems rather eager to leave a good impression on me..." He smiles. "And for the most part, it's working."

Rep
    Mentioned
    2216 Post(s)

Oh, nice seeing some progress on this one. Been a while but I remember the first part beeing promising. And so far you're keeping up xD

Discord Tag: PixelSupreme#2378 - Steam Name: PixelSupreme
    In case you want to stay in touch after GCT bites the dust

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

@PixelSupreme Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far~

Part Three: Settling In

The three left behind followed the sound of Hayashimo's footfalls towards the mess hall/cafeteria, questions (and comments) flying between them. Most came from the two girls to Minato, ranging from personal to professional.

Natori started off the friendly interrogation. Leaning closer, she asks, "Where did you come from?"

"A library and workshop, far away from here...Wonder how my assistants are doing, now that I'm not there?" He chuckles. "I'm sure at least one is worried sick by now."

"You look so strange. How come?" Haguro glances between the two-tone hair and mismatched eyes.

"This?" He tousles his hair a bit and closes his right eye, leaving the gold eye visible. "Let's just say I got into some rather nasty business...You could say it was the catalyst for how I look now. Happened after I opened my shop. The coat is a gift from a good friend of mine, who was a part of the whole ordeal."

"Where did you hear about us? What do you know about us?" Natori looks straight at Minato for a moment, then at the ground, fingers twiddling in front of her. "Nothing bad I hope..."

"Nothing of the sort, at least from my cursory review of what I could find. A few weeks ago, a young lady entered my shop and gave a letter. I didn't realize it at first, but she was one of you...Really long hair in a ponytail, bright smile, but mostly business. Schoolgirl's outfit, all white and grey. Tried asking her for info, but got nowhere. I rooted around for information shortly after she left. I still don't know a lot beyond the fact that you're girls with the souls of warships fighting these...Abyssals, but I see there's more to it than that."

Natori does a sideways glance. "You said you have a business...What is it for?" Haguro adds, "Any kind of training or knowledge? You might need to defend yourself later on."

"Information gathering and distribution now. Did some exploring and bodyguard work awhile back, so protecting me shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Some physical and mental conditioning. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you my other skills..." The two girls look at each other, obviously interested. "I'll show you after we eat, I guess."

By this time, they had arrived at the mess hall. Entering, they could see Hayashimo and another girl in the kitchen (clad in aprons over their usual clothes), preparing to make what appeared to be a soup or stew of some sort. A large pot could be seen next to them, as Hayashimo was being shown how to properly chop some vegetables by the other girl. In contrast to Hayashimo's mostly black hair, the other girl's was platinum silver.

"Just like that...You catch on quickly." As Hayashimo starts to work on a rather large carrot, her teacher turns towards the entrance. "And you're the reason for all this, I suppose. Really now..." She smirks as she looks Minato down head to toe. "Well, you're better looking than the last one at least. And seeing that one working so hard already is...astounding." Putting her hands on her hips, she declares "Special-type Destroyer, Murakumo. I hope you know what you're in for...Commander."

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Part Four: A Challenge

Minato shrugs. "I know only a little, Murakumo. I hope to not disappoint you."

Murakumo's smirk turns into a smug grin and her eyes narrow. "We'll have to see about that. The last two were such louts, hardly fit for combat, let alone command! Hmph!" Haguro gives a forced laugh, while Natori is shocked. "Murakumo-san!"

Last two? She's been through quite a bit, hasn't she? "Well then, after we have this fine meal, shall we have a duel? I do want to see how your weapons work, after all." There is a heavy chop heard throughout the kitchen, then silence. All heads turn towards Minato, a mixture of surprise and (in the case of Hayashimo) awe. "Did I say something...odd?"

Natori is the first to speak up. "Are you really sure about this, Commander? Most people can't even lift our weapons, let alone take a hit from them..."

Haguro nods. "I heard one Admiral at another base was headstrong enough to try and sword-duel with Tenryuu-san...Thankfully he survived."

Murakumo's grin never left her face, though her eyes lit up. "Heh. You seem to have something the others lacked...and its not just your looks. You've got a deal. But first..." She goes back to Hayashimo, who has slowly gone back to preparing the food. "We need to get this situated. Haguro, Natori, you help too. This meal may be his last, after all."

Minato smirks at the comment. This should be a good learning experience...for all involved. While all the girls were supposedly busy in the kitchen, he sat down at one of the nearby tables and holds out his right hand, palm facing away from him. He sweeps it to the left, a trail of colors in its wake, and does a snatching motion. Seems the Old Ways are forgotten here...but the power still remains, untapped. "Yes, a learning experience," he mutters. He glances towards the kitchen. The girls are beginning to finish cooking the stew, chatting among themselves. Murakumo motions toward Minato and says something, causing Haguro to sigh and the other two to jump a little. I wonder if she knows what she's in for...

Hayashimo is the first to approach Minato, carrying a tray with two bowls, spoons and cups. She hesitates a moment before setting one of each in front of him, then sits herself down right next to him. Her face is slightly red, and she tries to avoid looking directly at Minato.

He bows slightly. "Thank you." The raven-haired destroyer nods her head once. The other girls come up all at once, still chatting about something. They sit down opposite of Minato and Hayashimo.

"You." Murakumo clears her throat. "No, Commander. You really sure about this? I'm not going to hold back, you know." She looks concerned, her voice reinforcing the fact. "Though that one," she points to Hayashimo, "thinks that you'll win for some reason."

Minato takes a bite of stew and nods. "Hmm, pretty good..." Hayashimo perks up immediately at the compliment, while he locks eyes with Murakumo. "I'm very sure, Murakumo. I'd like to see how you fight firsthand..." He scratches his head. "And I'm a bit old-fashioned in the sense that I like to prove my worth to others. Troublesome, I'm sure."

She sighs. "As long as you understand that, then." A playful, teasing smile appears on her face, and she has one eye open. "And that's no trouble at all. You're one of the few to actually do this sort of thing...I'm looking forward to it."

Minato scans the other faces around him. Haguro has a weary smile, as if she's seen this all before. Natori is full of worry, eyes flicking between him and Murakumo. Hayashimo's face is hidden, though she fidgets a bit before scooting closer to him, grabbing his free hand and squeezing it. Looking back to the silver-haired destroyer, he muses, "I'm sure we all are...some more than others."

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Here comes a two-parter, in a sense. You'll see why after reading~

Part Five: Clash

About fifteen minutes later, Minato waits on one side of an large old gymnasium, Hayashimo by his side. Despite its supposed age and apparent lack of use, there's hardly any dust around. The others are nowhere to be seen...yet. The raven-haired destroyer looks up at him, puzzled. In her whisper of a voice, she says "Will you...be all right? You don't have any weapons."

"That's where you're mistaken. I always have my weapons, in a sense." He glances down at her. "If you'll excuse me, I need to prepare now."

She jumps back a bit at first, then does a slight bow and seemingly glides to a nearby stairwell. Sitting down, she nods. Nodding back, he turns away and closes his eyes. Steadying himself, he spreads his arms wide, palms out. Trails of various colors flow from his fingertips. He swings his right arm counter-clockwise upward, as if to touch the ceiling. The other arm mirrors the action in reverse, going down below his waist. He smirks.

"It's been awhile since I've done this...Too long, I think."

Opening his eyes, he brings both hands together in front of him, arms outstretched. A small orb of shifting colors forms between the palms. Pulling it towards himself, he examines it. "As I thought. Good." The orb changes shape, becoming what looked like a playing card of some sort. He slips it into a case on his waist. "Now to wait. "

No more than two minutes later, Murakumo walks into the gym, fully armed, with a small group of girls following her. Spectators, eh? Should have expected that, considering what's about to happen.

Natori walks up to Minato. "Sorry about this. They saw her preparing for combat and got curious. We haven't done any sorties in quite some time, you see...Not even practice." She fidgets, then bows. "I wish you luck!" She runs off towards the bleachers. As the other guests take their seats, Murakumo stands across the way from Minato, pointing her radar-spear at him.

"You ready for me...Commander?"

The young man narrows his eyes. "As I'll ever be." And with that, Murakumo brings her cannon up and fires. An explosion rocks the building, leaving a cloud of dust where Minato was standing. She scoffs. "That can't be it...Hm?"

From out of the cloud comes two shards of red energy. The destroyer hops backwards, both the bolts hitting the ground and disappearing. Amidst the gasps from the crowd, she hears a voice from behind her. "Such power behind that...You really weren't holding back."

She quickly turns around, swinging her foot upward in a roundhouse. Minato ducks, takes a step forward and swings a small blade across her chest. A clean cut appears on her clothes, but leaves no visible mark on her skin. Only slightly fazed, she fires one of the torpedo tubes on her other leg and backflips. Exploding in front of her opponent's stomach, he slides back in a crouch.

The destroyer lands gracefully, a smirk growing across her face as the crowd murmurs. "Hoooh, I knew there was something different about you, unlike all the other humans who've challenged me." She glances down at her outfit, putting her free hand on her hip. "They never laid a finger on me, much less a mark..."

He stands, returning the smirk with one of his own. "Is that so? What an honor." There was no sarcasm in his voice, only a slight wistfulness. "So...that's all, right?"

Murakumo giggles as she walks forward, the other girls beginning to gather around. "A lady always keeps her word." Passing by Minato to the door, she says the following, just low enough so only he can hear it.

"I'm looking forward to working with you...Minato Gidemo."

Part Four Interlude: Reasons and Terms

Haguro and Natori tell Murakumo what they know of Minato, which she finds both incredulous and amusing. Then the conversation shifts to other topics: Equipment, friendly and enemy routing, supplies, even the weather conditions. Things the young man was not really privy to at the time, leaving him to his own thoughts. Hayashimo did not let go of the new Admiral's hand until everyone was finished eating, upon which she collected all the dishes and began to wash them.

The silver-haired destroyer leans onto the table and puts one hand under her chin, thinking for a moment. "Why?"

Shifting in his seat, Minato raises an eyebrow. "Why what?"

"Why did you choose to be an Admiral? You could have refused Yura's offer, you know." Haguro and Natori look at each other, as if silently communicating. Murakumo points her finger squarely at Minato's chest. Her face is a mixture of anger and pain. "I'm sure you saw what the Abyss can do." She lowers her face and puts her hands on the table. "And perhaps...us as well." When she looks up, the edge in her expression is gone, though her eyes still had their fire. In a low voice, she says, "Yet you came anyway. Why?"

He sighs and scratches his head. "I have various reasons why, but the main one is, well...A sense of connection. Kindred spirits? Let's just say I've dealt with things like the Abyss before...and potentially far worse." He gets up from the table, looking at each of the girls in turn. Haguro with a worried, haunted look. Natori, head tilted in slight confusion. Hayashimo, turning away from the others as she works. Then Murakumo, one eyebrow raised. "Are we continuing the tour, or should we have that duel first...?"

"I like that enthusiasm...All right then." The playful smile returns. "We'll have this show in that old gym building, near the factory...It was planned for reconstruction and assimilation into it anyways. I'll get my armaments and meet you there." She motions to the other destroyer. "I'm sure Hayashimo is willing to show you the way there." She holds up one finger. "If you can strike me once, you win."

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Part Six: Preparations

The crowd of girls gather around Minato, each wanting to get a good look at their new Admiral. Some show awe, others curiosity, others still some distrust or outright disdain. Questions are asked and comments are made as he attempts to placate the girls' enthusiasm. Before some of the girls get too adventurous at seeing what's under his coat, a loud whistle sounds, followed by three claps.

By one of the doors stands Hayashimo, timidly looking away. Next to her is an older girl, her long hair in a ponytail that was nearly as long as she was tall. She wore a tracksuit and pants, as if she was a coach for a sports team. A whistle is dangling from a cord around her neck. "Alright girls, break it up. Time to get back to work. The new Admiral needs his space."

The crowd says nearly in unison, "Yes, Yura-san~" The crowd dissapates, their chatter and footfalls going with them. When the last of them leaves the gym, Hayashimo and the older girl approach Minato, who by this time is dusting himself off and making sure nothing was taken from him.

He breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank you for that, Yura. They were rather adamant about...inspecting me."

A calm smile from his savior. "All part of the job, Admiral-san. I'm glad you took my offer to heart as well...We've had no real purpose since the last Admiral was removed."

"That bad, huh? On what charges?"

"Insubordination and violation of...property." She chuckles.

He grimaces. "Right. Must have been rough for you."

"Most of us managed, somehow. Maintaining the base, equipment, training, things like that." Her smile grew a little sadder. "Others...had a harder time." She turns to Hayashimo, who suddenly jumps forward and tackles Minato in a full hug, nearly knocking him over again. "As you can probably guess."

Steadying himself while the destroyer clings to him, he nods. "Well, I'm sure I won't cause as much trouble as your last few Admirals...considering what I've heard from the others."

"I would hope so. Now then, shall we go?" The smile is still on Yura's face, but there's a challenging glint in her eyes. "There's much work to be done...And it looks like you have a willing secretary ship already."

Hayashimo pulls back to look Minato in the eyes and says, "I'll help with...anything you need." Her face turns bright red as she puts it into his chest. "W-w-within reason, of course."

He pats her head. "I'm sure you will, little one. I'll need all the help I can get." Yura lets out a weary sigh and shakes her head.

With that, they went back towards the room marked "Headquarters," meeting Haguro (holding a small stack of papers) and Natori along the way. The latter states she has some business in the factory, so she bows and leaves, while Haguro stays with the group. They walk the halls, the base suddenly active and full of life.

The heavy cruiser smiles. "You've certainly made your mark here already. Murakumo-san is one of the most experienced girls in the base, and if she's willing to work with you..." Her voice trails off as she looks away.

"All we can do now is support you, Admiral-san." Yura puts a hand on Minato's shoulder. "To the best of our abilities. Right?" Hayashimo gives a enthusiastic nod.

The new Admiral smirks. "That would be appreciated. There's quite a bit to learn here..."

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Part Seven: Assessment

The next few days were spent getting accustomed to life on the base. Matching names and voices to faces. Managing resources, equipment, and fleets. Seeing how the various girls now under his command operate and interact, both with him and each other. Being the diligent researcher, the new Admiral kept mental as well as physical notes on all he could. It is during one such 'writing session' that Murakumo approaches him.

"You're rather studious. None of the other ones did such things, to my knowledge." She shifts her gaze between Hayashimo, standing near the desk with an empty tray, and Minato with a playful smirk on her face. The other destroyer shrinks back from her a little, still keeping to the Admiral's side.

Stopping his writing and glancing upward, he smiles. "Considering what you've told me of them, they were almost hilariously incompetent. My own cross-research confirms that, but without all the...hyperbole." He goes back to his writing for another moment, then puts his pen down and leans back. "You don't normally address me first unless it's something relatively important, Murakumo. Speak your piece."

She saunters up to the desk with eyes closed. Placing her hand down on it and leaning forward, she opens them. There is a fire in her eyes he had not seen since the duel on his first day here. "It's about time that you sent us out to sortie...Minato."

Leaning forward himself to meet her eyes, he raises an eyebrow. "Probably right. I've noticed many of the others getting more nervous around me...Is that why?"

"You could say that. I'm surprised no one else has brought it up to you." She chuckles. "Though maybe it's because they are...afraid of your reaction."

He sits up as Hayashimo places down two small cups full of tea on the desk. Taking one and giving it a sip, he frowns. "That bad, huh? I admit, my usual demeanor is not exactly sociable, but..."

"I don't think that's the case, Commander. It's more like they're afraid of failing you out there and getting punished for it." She stands tall, her playful smile changing to a small pout. "Despite what Haguro and I have told them, and even what you've done in and around the base. Seriously."

Glancing at Hayashimo, Minato nods. She nods in response, going towards the far wall. "Well, the only real way to dispel those fears is to face them head-on." The raven-haired destroyer returns, placing a small stack of papers on the desk. She looks between Murakumo and the full cup of tea before standing back in her previous spot.

The silver-haired destroyer carefully takes the cup in both of her hands, eyeing the stack of papers. "You have something planned already, then?"

"I have many plans, Murakumo, though not all of them see the light of day." He smiles as he goes through the stack, pulling out select sheets. "These past few days of supposed peace were spent personally assessing all of you for potential sorties and missions. I've got a few lined up, if you want to look at them."

She sighs. "I suppose I could. I do have the most experience here and all...both in combat and with the girls stationed here. Let's see if your 'assessments' match my own, eh?"

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2256 Post(s)

Things have gotten busier with me recently, but I'm still working on this, slowly but surely.

Part Eight: Before the Storm

Two days later, Murakumo leans on the wall closest to the door to the Admiral's room, a small smile on her face. "Today's the day, huh...It's been too long since I've gone on a real sortie."

"Rarin' to go as always, ain't 'cha? Heh hee~" A girl in a grey vest and skirt approaches the door from the left, grinning from ear to ear. A blue ribbon is tied around her shirt collar. "Yer' not tha' only one." She puts one hand up. "Kuroshio. Guess I'm workin' with ya today~"

Two more girls walk up from the opposite side, talking between themselves. One is dressed like Hayashimo: A light purple dress over a long-sleeved white collared shirt, a blue bow tied at said collar. She has short green hair and orange eyes. The other wears a white and blue sailor outfit with no sleeves, her long hair and eyes a vibrant blue.

The green-haired girl noticably fidgets as she walks. "I'm so nervous...I've never seen the new Commander up close before-kamo..."

Her companion looks up for a moment, hands behind her back. "I think you'll like him, Takanami-chan. He is a bit odd-looking, but he's really nice!" She then looks down and frowns. "Though I'm a bit nervous too...He did challenge Murakumo-san and won, after all."

"A fact I can carry with some pride, Samidare" says the silver-haired destroyer, causing both the newcomers to jump. "He's not afraid of us, yet doesn't lord over us either...He's clearly different than the last few, and not just in looks."

"Ya got that right! He's even charmed Haya-han into good spirits~" Kuroshio eyes Murakumo with a sly look. "Wonda what tha' story is behind that, eh?"

Takanami tilts her head to the side. "She did ask around the dorms about how to cook...Maybe that was it?"

The veteran destroyer scoffs, her smile growing. "I'm sure there was more to it than that. But enough idle chatter. Let us report in, shall we?" In one fluid motion, she gets off the wall, spins on her heel to face the door and gives it two solid knocks.

The door opens, despite no movement in the room. "Come in." The destroyers file in and line up, each in their own way: Murakumo with her head held high, Kuroshio with a relaxed gait, Samidare with cat-like caution, and Takanami slightly shaking with her head down. Gidemo is sitting at the desk, reading and jotting down notes, with Hayashimo off to the side. After a few tense moments where the only real sounds were the scratch of the pen and shuffling of papers, he sets them down and stands up, regarding the girls before him.

"I'm sure at least one of you is thinking 'Why me? There's certainly someone better for this type of deal.' Maybe so, if you're only looking at the numbers." He walks around the desk, hands behind the back. "I like to think beyond that. All of you deserve a chance to prove your worth in actual operations, no matter what those numbers say...or what you've been through beforehand."

The green-haired destroyer looks up right into his mis-matched eyes. "R-really? The previous Commander-"

Minato raises one hand up. "Was pompous, arrogant and self-entitled. And the woman before him was only interested in 'personal examinations' and such." Murakumo gives a smirk, while Samidare shifts uncomfortably. "Both saw you as merely objects to play with, in some form or another. To me, you're..." He sighs. "Much more than that."

Kuroshio gives a dismissive wave, the grin from earlier returning. "Ya already provin' that, Chief. On'y a few days and ya got Haya-han waitin' on ya and Kumo-senpai not beratin' ya left 'n right." Hayashimo blushes a bit, while Murakumo gives a sideways glare.

Samidare nervously chuckles. "U-umm...can we get to the briefing now, Commander?"

"Right." Minato turns to Hayashimo and does a few hand signals. She nods, pulls out a map from the desk and lays the former out on the latter for all to see. It's marked with various symbols and lines. The Admiral then goes to the side of the desk. "Here's the current situation. You all are to investigate a potential supply line from here to a nearby refinery." He draws a line on the map with his finger from the words "Buin Base" to "Abandoned Refinery". "It hasn't seen much use recently, but it should still be operational...according to my sources."

"That it? Shouldn' be hard at all!" The grey-vested destroyer leans closer to the map, her grin still on her face. "Was expectin' som'thin' more...darin' than a patrol op, though."

He folds his arms across his chest. "Well, I was thinking of going with you all."

Takanami's eyes go wide, while Samidare stumbles back in surprise. Kuroshio narrows her eyes at Minato, the smile no longer there. "Ya not jokin' 'round, are ya? 'Cause if ya were, I ain't laughing."

He meets her gaze evenly. "I'm putting my own life at risk, knowing what's potentially out there. Even I know not to joke about such things."

Murakumo steps forward to the other side of the desk, putting her hand down upon it. Her head is down, her face unusually subdued. "No other human would even dare to go out into open water without a heavy shipgirl escort, and you wish to go out with girls that are not only lightly equipped, but with next to no combat experience." She looks up. "...You really are different from the others."

The young man smiles as he reaches into the case on his belt. "More than you think." He pulls out a card from it, a picture of an odd gauntlet prominently shown. "Hayashimo already saw this, but now the rest of you will see just how 'different' I am." And with that, the card shatters as if it were made of glass.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2216 Post(s)

Happy to see this continue. Keep it up. I wanna know what happens on that sortie and whats up with Minato-san.

Discord Tag: PixelSupreme#2378 - Steam Name: PixelSupreme
    In case you want to stay in touch after GCT bites the dust