Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2281 Post(s)
    @Emerald Acid This part delves into a bit of my own past, as what Hayashimo showed here is similar to my own reactions to having lost someone I was deeply attached to when I was younger. I never truly moved on from my great-grandfather's death until after his funeral ceremony, and the three-volley salute is essentially that for US military honors. And since I know the inevitable follow-up question, Nachi is the one Hayashimo was closest to out of those fallen few (for more than the obvious reasons) with Kaga being another subtle influence on her.

That line was mainly for ceremony, as those already stationed at the base know of the mission involving Ryuujou earlier. Some of the new faces may know of her in passing (mainly the other carriers), but they might or might not know of her being at Emerald's base currently.

That's right. It's the same situation with Takanami (6th Yuugumo) and Hayashimo (17th Yuugumo), where the time and length of their post, experiences and general demeanor are regarded higher than their class designations. Also why Murakumo is often referred to as 'the veteran destroyer' and why everyone at Buin acknowledges her input on any matter (despite not being secretary ship).

"Thank you for your hard work."
    Enlistment: A Story from the Observer (Interlude 2 Complete!)
    Twitch | Status: Offline

IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8287 Post(s)
    @Observer 39 I see. The extra inclusion of your personal self certainly adds to the emotion of the scene. It got a bit of an emotional rise out of me just picturing it from the words used.

I always pull my weight. I just happen to be made of helium.
    ~
    Ryuujou & Iku Anniversary 9/28/15 | Uranami Anniversary 3/1/17 | Fubuki Anniversary 4/24/17 | Akebono Anniversary 7/1/17 | Shimakaze Anniversary 5/4/16~
    Admiral Anniversary: 5/25 | I wrote a thing. Updated! (9/12)

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2281 Post(s)
    Over a month has passed since I posted an update here...This time, it's a trip into the past. Enjoy~

Interlude 2: Light of Hope

(Note: this interlude takes place before the current story.)

In the depths of Fleet Command lie a series of rooms, all identical in layout: Small grey squares with only a table and two chairs within them, a single door leading in or out. The halls, colored in the same dull grey as the rooms and similarly bare of any significance, are usually empty and as quiet as a graveyard...But today is different. A young woman strides towards the farthest room with steps measured and purposeful, a folder full of papers and a clipboard held in one arm. She is clad in a white and blue sailor uniform with a small ribbon pinned to the front, her light black hair pulled back with a blue hairband and a pair of half-rimmed glasses sit perched upon her face. Another younger-looking girl is leaning against the wall next to the door, herself wearing a mostly black variation of the sailor uniform with matching tights and a moon symbol on her skirt-belt. Upon noticing the approaching figure, she gets off the wall and salutes.

"Ooyodo-san. The mission was a success."

The young woman nods. "Thank you, Kikuzuki." She pushes up her glasses before giving a sigh. "...I'm sorry you had to participate in this."

Dropping the salute, Kikuzuki gives a shrug. "Better than being on the frontlines, I guess. Especially if it's under someone like that guy."

"Indeed. To think someone like him got past the initial tests...Enough trouble amongst ourselves, let alone the higher chain." She flips through some of the papers she's holding. "Perhaps these new unknown arrivals will be the catalyst for change."

Another shrug from the destroyer as she leans back against the wall. "If you say so, Ooyodo-san."

With that, Ooyodo opens the door. Within the room is another young girl, seated with her arms folded across her chest. Her white dress and long platinum silver hair give a strong contrast to the drab grey surrounding her. Looking up, her scowl gives way to reassurance.

"Should have expected it to be you, Ooyodo-san. Do you ever stop working?"

The woman gives a small laugh with a weary smile. "If I did, who else would do the work as efficiently?" Closing the door behind her, she walks up to the table and places the folder and clipboard upon it. "You know of course why you were brought here, correct?"

The destroyer tosses her hair back, her look once again becoming serious. "What happened off-the-record in Admiral Iizuka's base...My former Admiral."

Ooyodo sits down, adjusting her glasses. "Indeed so." She puts one hand on the folder. "I've compiled all the information I could gather on his reported actions, along with accounts from other non-connected personnel. You are the first of his fleet I have contacted regarding this matter."

"Since I'm technical flagship, huh...Well, where should I start then?"

"Just the latest incident for now, and what led up to it." She picks up the clipboard, a pen already in her hand. "In your own words."

A nod, then a lean forward, hands under her chin. "Hmm...Guess it would be when we first got the order. The look in his eyes was disgusting. Only thinking of the glory and not of us at all." She shakes her head. "All capital ships were put to 'refinement' immediately, what few we had, while the rest of us were assigned to resource management or 'refinement assistance'. For over a full month's time, there was little time to rest, let alone collect our thoughts. Kaga-san was routinely worn out at the end of the day, though she never truly let it show and no one asked why."

"..." For a moment, there is only the sound of the pen scratching against paper and board as Murakumo gives a small smile.

"They were especially adamant about keeping everyone's spirits up." She leans back. "Kinugasa and Ryuujou took time to catch up with literally everyone, while Haguro and Nachi-san always seemed to be right there when you needed someone to talk to. Even Kaga-san seemed less...closed off than usual. I won't soon forget how she gave part of her portion to me after a particularly stressful day. No words, only the action and a look."

"Quite unusual, indeed." An adjustment of the glasses, then back to writing.

"Before we knew it, the mission time was upon us. As we were part of the forward scouting fleet, we had only the barest amount of information on what the enemy was or their strength before we were to sortie." A shrug. "Something about a Princess-class Abyssal, along with aircraft and submarines. Since we were so few in number, the main fleet formed itself for the op: Nachi-san as flagship, with Kinugasa, myself, Hatsushimo, Kaga-san and Ryuujou. The rest of us were put on support, someways from the main fleet."

Murakumo lowers her head and puts her hands in her lap. Ooyodo stops writing, looking up.

"Everything was going relatively well, with only minor damage on Kinugasa and Hatsushimo from stray torpedoes and dive bombers enroute. The enemy vanguard, however, proved to be a greater challenge...One we did not surmount at first, as you know. As the firefight continued, Nachi-san gave the order to retreat, but Admiral belayed that order. 'Without victory, you cannot go home,' I remember him saying." She grits her teeth, her hands balling into fists. "We regrouped and charged them, knowing we were truly expendable in the eyes of our 'Admiral'. It was..."

She feels a hand on her shoulder, causing the destroyer to look up. Ooyodo is beside her now, her face sympathetic. As she places her own hand upon hers, she takes a steadying breath before continuing.

"That Northern Princess told us to go home one last time, but we could not. Not without her gone. When she did finally fall, the victory was hollow. Nachi-san and Hatsushimo were the last to fall, holding the resurging swarm back as the remainder of us retreated. I can still see the two standing there...Back to back." Murakumo turns her other hand over, looking at it. "Hayashimo...I had to drag her away myself, she was so distraught. You know the rest from there, I take it?"

"Yes." Ooyodo returns to the other side of the table, picking up the folder and clipboard. "Time runs short, so we'd have to wrap up anyways." She smiles as she heads to the door. "Thank you for the trouble, Murakumo."

The destroyer returns the smile as she moves to follow. "No trouble at all, Ooyodo-san."

The next day at Buin Base, Yuubari is tinkering with some scale humanoid figures as Murakumo and Hayashimo enter the workshop. The silver-haired girl struts in wearing a frown on her face, while the raven-haired girl glides behind her, her mood taciturn and brooding. The grey-haired young woman sets her tools down and stands, a small smirk on her own face.

"What's this about, Yuubari? Something from High Command?"

"That's right, Ace. Two things, in fact...Both dealing with Admirals."

Hayashimo, her head down, starts slightly at the mention of 'Admirals'. In a very low voice, she mutters, "What about...them?"

Yuubari taps her lips lightly. "I'll keep this simple. First." She holds up one finger. "Your former Admiral, Iizuka, was unceremoniously executed for insubordination."

Murakumo's eyes go wide as she takes a step back. "Haah?!? I knew he was a bastard and trash, but to have him killed? That's just..."

"Guy had a history of failure and general unpleasantness. His posting here was a final chance at getting some use from him while lessening his influence among the higher-ups. A sweeping under the rug in a sense." The experimental cruiser shrugs. "The deal was simple: You screw up, you're done. Literally."

The silver-haired girl puts a hand on her head, then shakes it with eyes closed. "And the other?"

"A new Admiral is to be stationed here soon. It has to be cleared through High Command still, but the initial impressions are good."

The raven-haired girl lifts her head and tilts it to the side, her face now full of curiosity.

"He's a foreigner that goes by the code name 'Observer'. Called himself an information broker, but can't say I've heard of him before...Not sure how Yura did, and she's always good at dodging the question when I ask it." A shrug as she slides a picture into view on the table. The face of a young man looks back, his short black hair turning silver at the tips and one eye a dull shade of gold. "Younger than the last few as well. Heard Aoba was hanging all over him for some time." She chuckles.

Murakumo glances to Hayashimo...And can't help but smile at the glimmer of hope in the other's eye. "I hope, for our sakes, he'll be more competent than them as well."

Yesterday was my birthday, a time where I tend to reflect on the past, whether my own or something/someone else's. That got me back to thinking of the history of this fanfic and my want to expand upon it, resulting in what you see here. The next update or so will most likely be similar to this one: side-stories not only of the girls within Buin Base, but of other parts of the world I've created. Maybe something about pre-WWII shipgirls...

IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8287 Post(s)
    Hoppo-chan, no D:
    @Observer_39 An interesting look back at our resident jerkass past admiral. The potential thoughts about how if all his past failures were from incompetence, or just being new and the failures were a bit beyond his control. The potentials almost make a bit of sympathy. Almost. There's no excuse for glory seeking while treating your subordinates as expendable, so I still mostly feel that he got with he deserved. Fluffy certainly wasn't expecting that much though.

Interesting that despite basically having a day's worth of sea travel between the two, our bases are actually closer to each other than I thought, seeing as my Rabaul is also up in the North as well, specifically just so if I ever wanna do something involving Hoppo, I'd have the excuse of being the closest, or at least one of them.

Happy to see my girl's still the one doing what she can to help make the rest of the fleet happier of her own accord, even back then. Always looking out for others, she is.

I always pull my weight. I just happen to be made of helium.
    ~
    Ryuujou & Iku Anniversary 9/28/15 | Uranami Anniversary 3/1/17 | Fubuki Anniversary 4/24/17 | Akebono Anniversary 7/1/17 | Shimakaze Anniversary 5/4/16~
    Admiral Anniversary: 5/25 | I wrote a thing. Updated! (9/12)

IGN
    Gidemo
    Server
    Buin Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2281 Post(s)
    @Emerald Acid Hoppo's Abyssal, she'll be fine

Not many would be, at least to modern military standards. But his fate was a foregone conclusion already, given what was told before in-story...Really brings home the differences in mentality of the time period: the weird transitional period between old feudal teachings and something more akin to the present day.

I've never truly given the base's location much thought, even with our little collab from before. When doing some research on how the fleet was lost however, I realized that composition (2CA, 2DD 1CV 1CVL) was a potential routing option for Summer 2014's E-2 and built from there. While my time spent there was of little fuss, many others have their horror stories of being stopped there for most of (if not all) the event.

Just a reinforcing of the nature we both share about her along with many others: being the sister she never really had to others around her. Kinugasa often is shown with that same trait, so it made sense to put the two together.