Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

Learning to draw

Yeah...some of you probably heard me talking about it, but I am learning to draw...somewhat.

Still not that good with drawing, but I figure I show some of my artwork here, it might be good for me to get some feedback as well.

Originally I was supposed to draw realistic figures for school purposes, but I turned to Super Deformed (or SD) after a while, I mainly draw with pencil and markers, didn't go digital because I have a problematic tablet that causes a ton of problems...

Here are some of my SD art

Panicking dd hime
    [+] Spoiler

Harusame with her NDS
    [+] Spoiler

Re-class with her usual grin...probably
    [+] Spoiler

I also do Kancolle 1HD at times, usually to allow myself to draw kanmusus I don't usually draw, for example

Ooshio
    [+] Spoiler

Sazanami
    [+] Spoiler

Agano
    [+] Spoiler

Yeah, mostly working on SD characters for now , but I should go back to drawing real figures sometimes...

I am not very certain of the standards of drawing SD so these times I am just going via trial and error, trying new stuff where I can.

Any criticisms are welcome, I am willing to take any to improve myself

Someone asked if I do requests, I'd say...I am open for requests if you want. My artwork isn't fantastic,though, so don't expect too much, but I will be happy to take the request as a form of improving myself.(Works better when you are doing it for someone else, I was told)

Only guidelines to requesting:
    [+] Spoiler

1.Don't rush - Can't emphasize this enough, but I do have a busy RL schedule, so...unless you don't mind something really badly drawn, don't rush. Else in my rush my drawings become...really bad (I know myself this well...)
    2.No NSFW - Expect no NSFW art from me, nope...
    3. Specify the type of drawing you want (Character(s), poses, chibi/proper, etc), so I don't have to fill in the blanks for you, which will make the whole process much faster hopefully
    4. No colours(For now), until I think I am ready to tackle colours, I am keeping to Black and White drawings
    5. Think twice before requesting. This is more for me and the other requesters. If you see your request status as [Pending], try not to cancel your request since I am most likely working on your request. So make sure you really want a drawing from me before you request, so you won't hold up people queuing behind you, since I only work on requests one at a time.

Completed
    [+] Spoiler

Mikazuki [Michishio]

http://www.himeuta.net/f17-artwork/l...tml#post769068

-Korbaniq [Axe Murderer Akigumo]
    http://himeuta.org/showthread.php?56...=1#post1027909

Pending Requests

[+] Spoiler

None

*not my artwork*

2nd August 2015, end of holidays check

23rd August 2015, Trying out colours

TRPG Colle round 1
    [+] Spoiler

Minazuki

Oboro

Arare

Hibiki

Harusame

Last edited by Zalfier; 05-20-2016 at 04:02 PM.

KC Status: Building up the Destroyer Armada
    Other game codes: GBF: 7135808 / FKG: 982660683 / SOA: ZD7GKZA4B2

Shinmai Shosa (新米少佐) NoirePanzer's Avatar
    IGN
    NoirePanzer
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Learning to draw

I think you work looks great ^^ Just keep practicing and you'll master SD/Chibis. I would like to point out though that the line work looks a tinge bit rough with some of the shading going outside of it in a few pictures ever so slightly. It's also possible to see erased lines on the paper so I suggest using a lighter lead type for the initial drawing. I use a .5mm mechanical pencil for the sketch/rough drawing which is super easy to erase without leaving marks. Once the sketch/rough drawing is done I go over with a darker lead then go in for detail Keep at it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@NoirePanzer Ah, I see, thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

I will try that and see if I can make my future work better.

Rep
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

There's no standards in drawings cartoon character only styles but if you're looking at Japanese cartoon they do have balanced proportion, so you might want to work on that 1st (for eg : your Re class right hand looks almost twice as big as her left hand) and about lighter pencil lead, it's true they're easy to erase, but they have harder leads that can scratch your paper, for general use 2b leads is good enough for sketching, and i usually use Ballpoint pen for finishing.

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@excelence ah, I see, I will take note about that.

Also, for sketching, do you recommend wooden pencils or mechanical?

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's actually not that bad >.<
    Though it really does seem that you need to work on the proportions a little more.
    Like Re's hand....

Also:
    For sketching i prefer Wooden Pencils.
    Mechanical Pencils tend to scratch the paper much more.
    While they are really good for detail.... they make it harder to erase later.

Again my preferences.Just like me liking my pencils dull...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yayoi level: 62 | Sakawa level: 71| Taigei level: 19 | Harusame level: 33 | Umikaze level: 36
    09/18/15
    - Kisaragi, I promise, I'll stay at your side until the end.

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@neour1 alright, thanks.

so thats proportions and sketching to work on

Rep
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Like the other says so I will not repeat myself here. But so far when these drawing are your first, I thiink they are good for a beginner. I can not really give some feed backs cause I draw myself only the head till the body ( only upper part half)

As for the sketches with the question which pencil to use:
    I myself use for light sketching wooden pencil or the mechanical one ( the mechanical one is in my opinion better ligther to erase)

I think you will improve over time. My first sketches was worse than yours ^^"

Shinmai Shosa (新米少佐) NoirePanzer's Avatar
    IGN
    NoirePanzer
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After reading through comments I'd like to add something. Even with our utensil recommendations please note that it all depends on the artist ^^ Use whatever feels good to you and works for you. Like for myself I use my drafting mechanical pencils whereas neour1 likes wooden pencils for the most part.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey are you taking requests?

Would you mind if one of your your next few works be michishio?