Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    IGN
    フダ
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4572 Post(s)

Re: Learning to draw

You finally started eyyy~. I remember when you asked me for advice on GCT a long time ago when i first joined ^^. Think it was lineart or something xD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search and Rescue Task Force "Loli-One"
    IMPORTANT NOTICE IMPORTANT NOTICE IMPORTANT NOTICE
    In the face of imminent disaster, a temporary shelter has been put together in discord.
    ALL GCT LOLIS REPORT TO THE SHELTER ASAP-LEAVE NO LOLI BEHIND
    >>>>> https://discord.gg/hRYGuPz <<<<<

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@Fuda ah, yeah, thanks for the advice back then, I have been practicing since that time.

Still far from perfect, but at least I am going somewhere now, wouldn't have come this far without the help I got

KC Status: Building up the Destroyer Armada
    Other game codes: GBF: 7135808 / FKG: 982660683 / SOA: ZD7GKZA4B2

IGN
    フダ
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4572 Post(s)

@Zalfier its always exciting seeing others sharing my hobby. Keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search and Rescue Task Force "Loli-One"
    IMPORTANT NOTICE IMPORTANT NOTICE IMPORTANT NOTICE
    In the face of imminent disaster, a temporary shelter has been put together in discord.
    ALL GCT LOLIS REPORT TO THE SHELTER ASAP-LEAVE NO LOLI BEHIND
    >>>>> https://discord.gg/hRYGuPz <<<<<

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

Right, so...just a base update before I go back to college and...hopefully learn more about drawing (Assuming I don't get killed first due to being unable to draw up to standard)

Anyway...here are some more recently 1HD entries I entered, again trying more stuff...

Yura
    [+] Spoiler

Tanikaze (who i was told look more like takanami instead...)
    [+] Spoiler

ise
    [+] Spoiler

Also to prepare for college (Where I need to draw real human figures instead of chibis...sadly), I tried challenging myself to draw full body figures (Not really...I took a shortcut and cut the legs for 1HD). Sure still looks odd, with proportions mostly wrong and all, but I guess I tried

Shiratsuyu
    [+] Spoiler

The arms look add for one... too small, maybe?

yuubari
    [+] Spoiler

Yeah, think I drew the arms too thin again, I probably need to work on that. Also, perspective and rigging....

Probably got to work harder, got to see what college has in store for me, hopefully i get more practice too

Rep
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

From what I have seen you didn;t do skeleton before doing any drawing, how about you tried drawing a box-men (how I called it) and compare the result with when you did free sketch?

I know its mean double the work but you're still not used to proper proportion, first thing to do is to make your hand get used to it.

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@D Des not really box-man, but I tried drawing from stick-figure, as how my teacher taught me, but I think I missed a step somewhere and proportions go wrong easily.

But I probably should draw a few box figures to help next time

Rep
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

@Zalfier

Stickman is only to guide on poses, using box instead will give you idea on the sizes of limbs.
    Some people prefer to use circles so its up to your liking, personally box is better to help in doing proper proportion, though it will be messy to clean it......

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@D Des Ah, I see, I will note on that, thanks.

No worries about the cleaning part, blue pencil tends to be light enough to not be too much of a mess, just need to be careful not to make the marks too hard

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, nice to see someone who is also learning how to draw from the start.
    I drew before but noticed I was doing it wrong and that's why I decided to start from zero.
    And I have to say your art looks pretty good... better than mine because the only things I've drawn so far are blocks.

May I give you some tips that might help you?
    I see your line work is quite wobbly. You can make this less or completely get rid of it by making the strokes faster.
    Also holding your pencil in a different way (drawing with the side of it) can help you with sketching and makes erasing lines easier since they are not engraved as much into the paper.

Another useful tip would be learning why something is drawn a certain way.
    This is the reason why I threw everything I thought I knew about drawing out of the window and started all over again.
    I think it's very important you learn this in order to draw things easily and most of the time also correct on the first try.
    And also, if you already know why something is drawn a certain way, you will draw it faster with much more ease.

I have a very useful site for learning but don't know if I am allowed to post it since I am basically advertising a website. PM me or just say I can post it.

I know some other artists say you have to draw the same thing over and over again to learn how to draw it well by muscle memory, but I am not a fan it.
    By drawing an object over and over again in the same pose/angle you know how it's drawn in that angle and not in another.
    So let's say you drew a toy car from one angle over and over until it looks good and someone then asks to draw it in a different angle, you have to go through the whole process of drawing it over and over until it looks good again. This is why I think knowing why something looks like it does is more important than just going by muscle memory.

Anyways, I wish you good luck on becoming an artist and keep up the good work.

Hurr.... I keep making walls of text on whatever forum I go...

IGN
    Zalfier
    Server
    Tawi-Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10466 Post(s)

@LittleXia I see, thanks for all that advise, I will try and improve base on those, yeah, my lines are kind of wobbly because I use rather short strokes, guess I should work on that first.

Also I am kind of interested in that site you were talking about, if its not too much to ask, can I have the link to the site via pm? I am also not too sure if you can post the link here, but through pm it should be fine. Thanks in advance