Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: [Guide] Sortie Farming/Powerlevelling

Lately i found 2-2 to be a nice place to go to finish off the Transport ship quest and the Clear-world-2 bosses quest. The top right and bottom non-boss nodes has a tonne of transports (from 2 to 4 per encounter). Sorties will get at least one node bauxite hit and one to two battles.
    I generally load up the standard CLT CVL formations with a BB and maybe a CA if you feel you cant shake off that lone BB @ the transport nodes. Though probably not that much of a problem for grown up teitokus with lots of 46mms and ryuusei kais.

Note - Its nowhere near as efficient as 2-3 as you need to load up non SSes, but its probably a good fallback for teitokus lacking in the SS department (like when you only have one of each and they're all soaking in the tub).

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is the "level range" the recommended level to enter the map?

Rep
    Mentioned
    4367 Post(s)

@Tetsu The level range is the recommended level you can start and stop levelling ships there. If your supporting ships are a high enough level, you can take level 1 ships into the more difficult maps.

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)

@KazeNoTama re: 3-2-1 farming, Torpedo planes get shot down a lot more, too. Dive bombers get shot down less. It saves you bauxite in the long run - and given how much insane grinding you can do with the swapping subs trick, saving bauxite is important, especially with an event coming up. I tend to load in 99s in my CVLs for the first two runs and only two slots. Once they hit orange/red morale, I switch to the best dive bombers I have and move to three slots (I only run three CVs - I find having a swappable "clean up" vessel allows for levelling for 5 hours straight without any ship but the sub being damaged).

@Onibi re: 2-2 farming. I do the same thing in 2-2. I think it's the only viable option if you're a newer player and don't have a sufficient number of subs to do 2-3 yet but still want to do those quests. I do it a lot. The BB that shows up half of the time in the transport fleets makes it less fun than it could be.

I usually run it with two CAs and four DDs. If I get shunted to the boss node, I prepare for pain (and the Wos come to really regret it once night comes around and the destroyer wolfpack transform into werewolves and start baying for blood). The side benefit of running so many DDs is that it is cheap to fix when your ships inevitably get crit on by the BBs.

The English wiki is a bit incomplete about the rules if you want to avoid getting sent to the boss node (useful if you're transport hunting):

1) No CAV, BBV, CVL, or CV in your fleet.

2) No Kai vessel in your flagship slot; all other vessels may all be Kai or Kai Ni. The flagship may be of a level where you could Kai it, as long as you haven't done it.

3) The rules are not absolute. The compass becomes biased but it is not absolute - you'll still end up at the boss node with a fleet that meets all the rules about 30% of the time.

IGN
    artificial88
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

hmm I wanna add something to 2-3: a friend made this idea for powerleveling ships, I improved upon it.

the fleet composition is as follows:

2x wildcard, ships to level up. Give them the usual loadout, be it 2x red gun 2x recon plane or whatever.
    3x CVL, at least one blue plane each. fill the rest of the slots with green planes, and give one of them a Saiun if you have one. An air superiority value of ~200 is enough.
    1x SS. In the photo I equipped my submarine with 2 NHPTS boilers since her role is to tank the damage from DDs and CLs, but if you want trade off evasion for pre-emptive torpedo power then use torpedo mounts instead. Low-level submarines (around lv1-lv20) are not advisable.

You can swap a CVL and/or a wildcard slot for a CLT or SS, provided sufficient air power is maintained. As said above, 200 air superiority is enough.

pros:
    • You can complete daily and weekly quests while giving ships free XP.
    • You can powerlevel up to 4 ships at a time- ideal if you also need to level up CVLs. As pointed out by the picture, I'm powerleveling the Chitose sisters and they can hold up pretty well as long as they have the right loadout.
    • Also ideal if you're looking for a rare ship drop from the boss. You can get a chance to get ships like Hiryuu, Akagi and Makigumo while farming XP. I was able to get 2 Makigumos in one day. Kongou-class BBs can also drop here too.
    • Minimal bauxite consumption.
    • CAs are common ship drops in this map. You can get a nice supply of modernization fodder with this method.

cons:
    • Stagnates fuel, ammo and bucket count. A Ru-class can force you into using up a bucket. Fuel and ammo consumption may also rise if your wildcard is a BB or a CV.
    • XP per battle is lower than, say, 3-2-A powerleveling.
    • HQ level may also rise
    • more morale-dependent than other methods because a preemptive strike is not enough to beat the boss node.

I recommend this method for getting CAs to kai ni. Myoukou, Chikuma and Tone for example. I don't know if this is viable for CLs though, I'll have to test.

>tfw dead inside
    FB PAGE | DEVIANTART | STEAM
    HQ103 | WANTED: >>I-58 NO.2<< | TAIHOU | YAMATO | IOWA | OYASHIO

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)

@Leyana

After using 2-4-1 and 3-2-1 to level ships, I don't think 2-4-1 is a really good "swapping submarine" powerlevelling spot like 3-2-1. In fact, I don't think it's really any good at all as a powerlevelling node except to grind levels out of necessity to clear 2-4. Every fleet layout in 2-4-1 has a CA as a flagship (sometimes Elite CA). Since a CA is always flag, it's the most likely to survive the opening airstrike. Unless you can wipe the entire enemy fleet except for the flag and you have a BB that can fire before it, it'll get at least one shot off at your fleet, ignoring your sub.

There's worse - one of the three possible fleets has four CAs: Two Elite CAs (one as flag) and two normal CAs. Four out of six ships in the enemy formation can't attack your sub so will attack your fleet instead, at this point, the submarine becomes a liability; as far as the CAs are concerned, you have a five-ship fleet and they're probably likely to shell one of your CV(L)s. A half-decent shot from an elite CAs will send any CVL (and a lot of CVs) to medium damage and straight to the docks, especially if they're in orange or red fatigue.

It's possible to still level on 2-4-1, but the swapping submarines and running your CV(L)s into red isn't viable there; players are better off levelling in a more conventional fleet and just long enough to push through to finish 2-4, at which point opening 3-2 should be pretty easy and there they can grind.

Doing 2-3, going to the first enemy fleet node, then retreating more is a little more viable than 2-4-1 using the submarine tactic; nodes B and C have pretty similar fleet layouts. Of the three fleet combos possible, one has no CAs, one has one CA, and the last has two CAs. Two CAs is still pretty bad against carriers (especially since the two CA fleets, one is Elite), but it's not the lurking 4 CA fleet in 2-4-1 that shows up one in three times.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4367 Post(s)

@illyrin 2-4-1 is a 3-2-1 alternative. It definitely isn't as good as 3-2-1 but for some people pushing through 2-4 can be really hard because of RNG or low levelled ships. In the latter case, 2-4-1 is good enough for levelling ships high enough to clear 2-4. At which point they can move on to 3-2-1 and 4-1.

Rep
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)

Wow good guide Leyana ! If i started the game recently, i probably would use it ! :)

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/63/99/79/wi3nav11.png
    Thanks to @Neskape for this signature !
    Many thanks to @Fuda ! Regulars GCT are wonderful !

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)

So tonight, I was doing a bit of BB powerlevelling on 3-2-1.

I was accidentally using a Type 2 Recon plane (二式艦上偵察機) instead of the Saiun (彩雲). I only noticed this when I had a Red-T come up.

I've long-known that there's only one situation where Red-T can ever benefit you : When the level of your ships exceeds the level of your opponents by quite a bit.

Since this was a CV(L) spam 3-2-1 powerlevelling fleet, the average level of my girls is significantly than the enemy fleet.

Now, with Red-T both sides are doing only 60% of their damage; this means the Flag CL is only doing 1-2 points to my tanking submarine (instead of dropping her to critical damage in one shot). However, with the Type 2 Recon plane on my side, it's making up some of the damage penalty from the Red-T situation. Since my girls outlevel the enemy, I'm still doing enough damage to sink them easily, while my sub takes hardly any damage...

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

is 3-2-A farming possible to grind CA? They are kinda weak and i'm not sure they'll be able to get MVP maybe with 2 20.3cm guns 1 type 0 seaplane and radar?