Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Abridged Event Ship Guide for new players - I.E. "What Ships Should I Get?"

Hey all new players, I've written an easy-access guide for new players to act as a quick-checklist as to what ships you need, it features a few quick one-liners about the ships you should look out for and keep as you prepare for your first event.

I've given every ship a quick ranking both in terms of ease of access and combat capabilities, the guide is weighted to be friendly to new players and the ships they would be likely to craft or get as drops on early worlds.

Any and all feedback is welcome, the guide is of course evolving over time as more and more opinions are raised and additional information is added.

This Guide's Purpose
    This guide is not designed to stand alone, but to act as summarized companion for you to conduct your own further research.

Target Audience
    This guide is designed for new players, as such, special considerations were taken into both the time and resources required to train ships, this was reflected in the rating for ease-of-access. Only ships which are truly important to level were given the top recommendations (e.g. Maya)

Ships which are stronger but relatively harder to access or train may be recommended behind ships which are easier to train but are slightly weaker (e.g. Haguro ahead of Choukai and Mogami ahead of Tone). Other issues such as luck modernization were only lightly covered, such as in the case of Abukuma.

Declaration of Conflicts of Interests
    Choukai is the author's personal favorite, followed by Abukuma, readers may note a slight massive bias towards these two kanmusus.

@ExDii07
    here's the new thread for the guide as requested

Revisions
    [+] Spoiler

Draft V5: DD Revamp
    Draft V6: CL annotations added.
    Draft V7: CA annotations added
    Draft V8: BBs annotated
    Draft V9: CV and CVLs annotated, additional information added to other ships.
    Dec 21 V10 - Skipped since Himeuta was down
    4Apr16 V11 Ooshio Kai Ni Update: New DDs added, CVs and CVLs updated and plane counts added, CAs updated
    V12 09 August 2016: Asashio K2, yet another DD revamp, fit gun chart added, additional referencing added, updates with respect to seaplane fighters and Iowa

V13 11 Jan 2017 Update: Kinu K2 Added

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by EchIII; 01-11-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Guide V12
    夏 '15 : BBBCCBC | 秋 '15: AABBA | 冬16: AAA | 春 '16: AAAAAAC
    http://i.imgur.com/ZUPC2wm.png
    https://www.senka.me/player/20025918

Rep
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

Re: Abridged Event Ship Guide for new players - I.E. "What Ships Should I Get?"

The fact that Abukuma k2 can make stuff like 3-2 and 3-5 south somewhat easier doesn't make her an "absolute gamebreaker" and, unlike the actual CLTs, her night battle power isn't that good at all unless you feed her a lot of Maruyu and run torp CI. So yea, she's good, but some newbies that read the guide may think she's some kind of goddess with no drawbacks and that's not the case.

Ashigara and Nachi k2 aren't that important at all imo outside of quests. Also you mentioned Sendai k2 being useful for her equips, might as well point out some others like Fubuki k2 for FD or Ooyodo for FCF. Yuubari being "the best ASW ship" isn't that big of a deal unless we get some crazy abyssal SS boss so I would say she isn't that useful at all atm.

I probably missed a couple things here and there but everything else is looking fine, hopefully people check this out before making "what ship should I level next" threads.

together we form god

Granblue Fantasy ID: 6384555

Rep
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

@EchIII

Moved to the "Guides" section, this is event specific one however it still belongs here.

Feedback incoming next, however at first glance there are a lot of things that need to be changed starting with the things kua mentioned.

First image:

• If you are putting Shoukaku in tier 1 Hiryuu and Souryuu should be there as well, they are actually more useful than her (best support expedition CVs).
    • Ushio is terrible, she is nothing but a trophy ship. Shimakaze and Yukikaze should both be there simply because they only need level 20 to be viable and are quite powerful.
    • Choukai isn't that much better than Myoukou-class, blueprints are better spend elsewhere early on.
    • Shouhou-class isn't good, time and resources are better spend on something else. Hiyou however is often overlooked just because she is slow.
    • Nagato-class is quite powerful with low level remodels, they are also very good for support expeditions early on.
    • Abukuma Kai Ni is being overrated by a lot of people, she isn't a game changer.

Second image is pretty simple, there are only two tiers for destroyers. There is tier 1 which are green in your image and Fubuki belongs in there as well because of the combination of decent offense + AA. Then there is tier 2 with a whole lot of mediocrity with 2 or 3 which aren't quite as terrible.

Third image is fine except Abukuma.

In the forth image you should mention that CAV with good bombers can actually kill things now due to the new plane mechanic. This makes the Tone-class a little better and Prinz Eugen is basically just useful as a CI ship and excels at that so point that out.

5th image:

• Mention Nagato-class being good support expedition battleships.
    • Fusou-class Kai Ni with max level seaplane bombers are very useful, shouldn't be ignored.
    • Bismarck DREI is the absolute gamechanger after the last event because not being able to use CLTs is now a reality. The restrictions put on the 2nd fleet in a combined one mean that if CLTs are not allowed to sortie there is a 6th slot that can only be filled by either a destroyer or fast battleship. Which means you either get to use a normal FBB or another very frail ship that has to survive which can be extremely problematic. This alone makes her invaluable for events and no one else can fulfill that role as of now.

Then there is the fact that she is now the most versatile battleship in the game in general. there is probably no situation when you would pick a different one instead of her. At the same time she has Yamato-class defensive stats, heavy cruiser night battle firepower and can carry the widest range of equipment possible while being a fast battleship. For some reason she also doesn't suffer from overload penalty when using 381mm Kai (neutral table) which means she can use those weapons for higher firepower. She also doesn't cost insane amounts of resources like the other two LSC battleships, her only downside is the rarity and 2 blueprints.
    • Littorio-class cost a lot to resupply and repair for a normal battleship, in a lot of cases the slightly higher stats are not worth it.

6th image:

• Souryuu is tier 1 due to being an excellent support expedition carrier.
    • Assuming Zuikaku Kai Ni has the same stats those two are the best attack carriers due to having balanced slots which means each plane can hit really hard in the opening strike when a 18 count plane slot might not do much. Small slots are also very good now with the new plane mechanic.
    • Being able to shell in moderate damage is overrated, due to the firepower penalty you can only scratch or kill weak targets. Taihou is easily the worst LSC ship, even Akitsu Maru is more useful for possible branching and higher expedition rewards. (If jets are really good and she can use them this might change though)
    • Unryuu-class completely missing, there are very good economic carriers. Combined with their decent firepower they make excellent support expedition carriers especially because other ones might be unavailable due to fleet lock.

Last image is fine, however Chitoses reaching last remodel at level 50 compared to 80 for Junyou is worth pointing out

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Twitch
    Event Stream & VoDs

IGN
    クロノマイスタ
    Server
    Tawi Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Cant agree with the color scheme. Found myself very confused for several minutes before realizing what you were trying to convey. The color scheme for the access is a decent match cause green conveys a "meh nothing to write home about" vibe while a red conveys a "LOOK HERE" vibe which matches their difficulty. But when you use it for impact I found myself reading the orange wondering "Why is this so good?" and reading the green and wondering "Why is this so bad?". Even after understanding the coloring it still is in my mind that green is "meh" and red is "must have".

I might suggest flipping the order and see how it goes. Instead of a "THIS IS WHY ITS HARD" vibe from the red try to play a "this is why you should ignore this ship" vibe from the green and a "THIS IS EASY AND WHY YOU SHOULD LEVEL THIS SHIP" from the red instead.

And at first glance I expected the impact/access to be in the same position on both sides but you went for a inside/outside approach instead of a left/right approach. I can see it now but caught me off-guard at first. My initial thought was to decrease the saturation on one of the two scales to make them more distinct. I feel impact is more important to read than access so lower saturation on access to diminish it's importance but then decreasing saturation also boosts readability which impact could use. Personally, I'd lower sat on access cause they can still read impact pretty well anyway but it's up to you.

On a more stats opinion note, you have pretty much all the BBs except Ise class as must haves in their final forms. Not exactly helpful in determining "Who should focus on getting". Personally I'd move Nagato's, Kongou's (cept maybe kirishima), fusou's and littorio's to a less needed rank. It also appears you forgot why you were making this while writing the why you should get Yamasushi and wrote some condescending remarks in impact. I agree and by the time they can consider getting them they should know why but if I gave this to someone fresh they might take it the wrong way.

On a similar note, I'd slim down the CA list a bit. While granted there arent that many so including all of them isnt that bad, Furutaka class, takao/atago, and aoba could probably be omitted and nothing of value is lost. I'd also mention that mogami class are your CAVs that dont need BPs rather than your only CAVs to be less confusing.

Also your CVL chart is mislabeled as CV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzgalov
    it's only.. it's only game. Y U heff 2 B mad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm Edwards

IGN
    鎖那の花
    Server
    幌筵泊地
    Rep
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

@EchIII I have to disagree with you on a lot of points. The analysts pin-pointed most of the practical knowledge, but I'd like to point out a few things the others didn't.

For Isuzu, she loses her range and plane carrying capability. In exchange she gets a weaker AACI and the highest ASW stats in the game. Although ASW is heavily influenced by equipment, there are times where having high ASW stat is important for gimmicky builds. I've experienced this only once during Winter 2014, but it was still convenient to have.

For Tone Kai Ni and Chikuma Kai Ni people seem to forget that their LoS stats are among the highest in the game. This is incredibly useful for meeting LoS requirements and preserving firepower since CAV's can do just as much damage as CA's during yasen. Also with 8 other K2 CA's, 4 of which with decent combat capability, why are you complaining about the change from CA to CAV (historically the sisters were CAV to begin with). CAV's have the ability to establish AS when you cannot take carriers due to branching, they can attack subs to get a B rank and avoid morale loss through defeat, and they can also equip Drum Canisters for branching making them one of the most versatile ships in the game making. On top of all this, they have much better survivability and combat ability when compared to the Mogami CAV's. The combination of flexibility and combat ability makes the blueprint very well worth it.

"Bolt actions speak louder than words."

IGN
    oriscus
    Server
    Iwagawa
    Rep
    Mentioned
    821 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nwrtz View Post
    Ushio is terrible, she is nothing but a trophy ship. Shimakaze and Yukikaze should both be there simply because they only need level 20 to be viable and are quite powerful.
    Choukai isn't that much better than Myoukou-class, blueprints are better spend elsewhere early on.
    Abukuma Kai Ni is being overrated by a lot of people, she isn't a game changer.
    Ushio kai ni is on par with Yuugumo class at kai. One is a level 60 remodel. The other a level 30. Yes she has a marginally tougher body, but a DD body is a DD body in nearly every circumstance.

While Choukai kai ni in standard combat stats is better than the Myoukou. The margin is small enough that it isn't worth a priority blueprint. Especially when competing against the flexibility of Myoukou and Prinz. However, she is a source of skilled lookouts and is easy to obtain in comparison to the other sources. Skilled lookouts are a massive help for both Myoukou and Prinz when building CI.

Abukuma: totally agree. Especially on maps that you will be gaining AS on.

You mention small slots being much better with plane proficiency, but to cite something a little more concrete: a 3 slot with a >> reppuu grants ~42AS. Those slots are very solid these days. That massively helps the dragons and Unryuu by giving them much more flexibility for that last slot.

Rep
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The analysts have pretty much said all that needs to be said. For newer players, you're best off having a variety of K2 ships, balanced across all classes so you won't lack for any type. I was weak in CAs and CVLs for a long time and I suffered for it in the Summer event. It's unlikely you'll be able to clear the Final Operation unless you went full NEET; set reasonable goals that you have the ships, resources, buckets, and time to achieve.
    And no, Abukuma is not a gamebreaker. Pre-emptive torpedoes haven't been very OP for a while now, and one coming off Abukuma's 94 stat is going to do nothing if RNG spins her torpedo towards a BB or CV. You also get one torpedo and the same defense as CLs, assuming Tanaka kicks out Kitakami, Ooi and Kiso again, so I would rate her useful in giving your fleet more flexibility and fodder-killing power but not an offensive powerhouse.
    @Yamako
    Tone and Chikuma K2's LoS gets added to the total base LoS and square-rooted if you go by the older LoS formula. I don't know how Kadokawa calculates anymore, so I'm not sure if it still goes like that.

Isuzu forever flagship of the combined fleet I use if I encounter troll subs and it gives me trouble. If I boosted her luck(mine is at 20 Luck, including marriage boost), I could conceivably run a torp CI setup. Otherwise, she's great at destroying subs. Although it's heavily influenced by equipment. Ooyodo's night battle firepower is dead in the water and Yuubari has the defenses of a DD. Isuzu has better defenses and, if you run 2x mains and a sonar, a stronger night battle attack, though this setup may not always destroy flagship subs. Elites still don't stand a chance, though.

Isuzu's Anniversary: 1:51am EST, 7/25/2014---Shiratsuyu's Anniversary: 9:57pm EST, 4/12/2015
    Twitch: Offline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Waifu Fleet: Isuzu--Shiratsuyu

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The guide is ok to help people consider which ships to keep if they don't play by favorites.
    Souryuu and Hiryuu have low Firepower? I think you mean high? And why losing CA classification on Tone/Chikuma is not always worth the blueprint?

And like Kuavera said, you can add ships with noteworthy equips. Few I can recall are:
    35.6cm proto from Haruna
    1cm proto from Fusou/Yamashiro
    Souryuu/Hiryuu's plane,
    3x 20.3 cm gun no.2 from Ashigara - worth considering remodeling her before other Myoukou(?)
    20.3 cm gun no.3 from Mikuma and Kinugasa - makes her better than her sisters, but their relative rarity and stat make them not worth spending resources to search for them.

Even things from available from development is a nice bonus, and can be a reason to focus on them first
    T3 Shell from Hiei k2
    reppuu from
    Junyou k2

~17-01-2016~ Shigure marriage date!
    ~21-11-2016~ Shiratsuyu-class completed!
    ~25-11-2016~ Shiratsuyu-class E5-E clear!

Rep
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HzVee View Post
    The guide is ok to help people consider which ships to keep if they don't play by favorites.
    Souryuu and Hiryuu have low Firepower? I think you mean high? And why losing CA classification on Tone/Chikuma is not always worth the blueprint?

And like Kuavera said, you can add ships with noteworthy equips. Few I can recall are:
    35.6cm proto from Haruna
    1cm proto from Fusou/Yamashiro
    Souryuu/Hiryuu's plane,
    3x 20.3 cm gun no.2 from Ashigara - worth considering remodeling her before other Myoukou(?)
    20.3 cm gun no.3 from Mikuma and Kinugasa - makes her better than her sisters, but their relative rarity and stat make them not worth spending resources to search for them.

Even things from available from development is a nice bonus, and can be a reason to focus on them first
    T3 Shell from Hiei k2
    reppuu from
    Junyou k2
    Fusou and Yamashiro remodel too late to make them useful. The Kongou-class also suffers a small penalty using 41cms, which are the BBs that newer players are likely to use in their first event.
    In general, for new players I would focus on optimal or very strong remodels that I'd actually use in the event. Remodeling just for equipment is something best saved for mid to late game, since development can take care of a lot of equipment needs.

Isuzu's Anniversary: 1:51am EST, 7/25/2014---Shiratsuyu's Anniversary: 9:57pm EST, 4/12/2015
    Twitch: Offline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Waifu Fleet: Isuzu--Shiratsuyu

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

@FireKiller87
    I agree that remodeling for the equipment is not that important, because most basic needs can be covered with stock equipment and development.

I'm mostly suggesting these ships with special equipment can be considered to have slightly higher priority than their sisters if you have them early enough. Stats and ship class still more important as a criteria to create a priority list.

~17-01-2016~ Shigure marriage date!
    ~21-11-2016~ Shiratsuyu-class completed!
    ~25-11-2016~ Shiratsuyu-class E5-E clear!