Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4796 Post(s)

Fusou Badge typo?

This is just a tiny thing, barely worthy of its own thread, so feel free to delete it if it's deemed pointless, I just wasn't sure where else to put it.

I just noticed that the forum Badge says "Fuso", shouldn't it be "Fusou"?

EDIT: Umm, well, it kind of automatically changes it into Fusou... I mean the "u" at the end is missing on the badge, I'm not sure if that's intentional or not.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Fusou Badge typo?

They are technically the same depending on how you romanize Japanese into English. Many people romanize the sound as "ou". However, other systems like to use the character "ō", and you will this on her wikipedia entry. Since this character is not readily available on most English keyboards, the spelling of Fu-so is considered acceptable.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4796 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuhou Kagiyama View Post
    They are technically the same depending on how you romanize Japanese into English. Many people romanize the sound as "ou". However, other systems like to use the character "ō", and you will this on her wikipedia entry. Since this character is not readily available on most English keyboards, the spelling of Fu-so is considered acceptable.
    I'm aware that there are different ways to romanize Japanese letters, it just feels "wrong" to me, to have it even auto-corrected into Fusou if you type it without the u here, but it's written without the u on the badge.

I mean, don't some people romanize "Fu" as "Hu" in the first place? Then "Huso" would also be correct, and it's all kinds of weird...

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@Riepah Yes, other examples include swapping j/z/dz, ti/chi, and the infamous l/r. It feels wrong because our community is used to a specific romanization. However, people will spell it based on what ever system they are used to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...ship_Fus%C5%8D
    IJN Fuso - Dreadnought Battleship - History, Specs and Pictures - Navy Ships
    The-Blueprints.com - Blueprints > Ships > Battleships (Japan) > IJN Huso (Battleship) (1944)

The Japanese language is not so easily converted to English, so there is no right or wrong when it comes to the romanized spelling. Fusou is as correct as Husou because they both the pronunciation of ふそう. However, I do agree that once we pick a romanized name, we should be consistent with it.