Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Winter2017 event has begun and will end on 28th, Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

[Tool] OOI - Free and Open-source Kancolle Web Proxy

FAQ:

1. What is this, and why should I bother with it?

Online Objects Integration v2 or OOI2 is a web proxy used exclusively for accessing the browser game known as Kantai Collection.

Features:

• Access the game from anywhere, no more region locks
    • Faster game loading and fewer catbombs with thanks to Cloudflare
    • Easy to use interface where a single login take you to the game, nothing to distract you from, um, shipping
    • Works for any browser capable of running Flash out-of-box without extra configuration
    • Compatible with all mainstream viewers

OOI2 is maintained by the acgx team. I contribute to the development and maintains the English translation.

2. So how do I use it?

Simply login using your dmm.com credentials and the game will load automatically. No fuss at all.

For those who use viewers please choose the appropiate Flash Embedding options. KC3 users are recommended to use standard mode to enjoy the benefits of always-on HTTPS.

3. Why is it asking for my account details?

It is needed so the proxy can forward your data correctly. Your account information is NEVER stored.

For those still concerned about account safety, the authentication traffic is fully encrypted and no more risky than playing the game vanilla. The project is entirely open source and there is always the option to host your own proxy on a host you can trust.

4. Is it ban-safe?

Yes, from the server's point of view you are just another regular user using Internet Explorer 11 and a slightly older version of Flash. acgx team's own servers have been used by thousands of users daily since August and there has been zero issues so far.

5. Why are you hosting a public proxy? Isn't it expensive?

Your time is better used playing this game than trying to sort out your access issues.

The issues of region-locking has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and I don't really have much to add. But I do observe that many of you were using API links despite better and more secure methods available because it is convenient and easy to understand. However for security, non-expiring API is one of the worst designs ever and I am almost relieved that the devs finally put an end to that as of October 2015, more than two years after the game was released.

Even with all the region-lock bypass methods we have, we cannot easily bypass the reality that connection to the game servers can be quite unreliable for those with a slow internet connection, or are just physically away from Japan. By running the proxy behind a world-wide CDN this should leads to a better experience for all outside Japan since your data flows through a optimised private network,

As for the cost, here is the breakdown of running my own server. For those planning to host your own OOI for personal use, one could slash the cost even further to ~$5/month or less.

Item Monthly cost Annual Cost
    Hosting (Linode 1024) $10 $120
    Domain Name (Typical Registrar) ~$1 $10
    SSL Certificate (From domain registrar or resellers) ~$1 $10
    DDoS Protection and CDN (Cloudflare Pro) $5 $60
    Total ~$20 $200

This setup is more than enough to serve thousands of users per day, and I do use the server for other activity as well so the true cost is likely to be lower. The irony is that it gets better for everybody if more people use it, because in that scenario the CDN is more likely to serve contents from their own cache close to your rather than pulling it from my server in Japan.

6. Now I know what OOI can do, but is there anything it cannot do?

A few things, namely

• Access other games or features on DMM.com
    • Make in-game purchases and/or recharge your DMM points, you will have to use the regular dmm.com website
    • Make changes to your fleet name and signature
    • If the account if brand new, set up your in-game name

As you may be able to tell, a lot of these limitations are shared with the now defunct method of API link access. Similarly refreshing the page after your API link has entered the "locked" stage will result in an error, hence it is recommended that you use the "Go back" function of your browser instead and re-login from the landing page. A workaround is being tested and will be made available once it is deemed safe.

Rep
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Re: [Tool] OOI - Free-to-Use Kancolle Web Proxy

Wow, another great stuff from you.
    I fake IP with my own SSH on KCV but that cloudflare is new thing, brilliant idea to use their japan cdn, online KCV Cache?

Wishlist: Yamato • Mikuma
    I always hate you, Ta-class! Since 05/10/2014

IGN
    クロノマイスタ
    Server
    Tawi Tawi
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2339 Post(s)

Ran a test (more like "Oh I guess I just did it twice so let me write it down then") and was impressed by the speed up.

File name Content length dmm (ms) Ooi (ms) Difference (%)
    font 2231885 17500ms 2600ms 14900ms (673.07%)
    commonAssets 2131762 20470ms 2730ms 17740ms (749.81%)
    sound_bgm 1718451 14800ms 2230ms 12570ms (663.67%)
    sound_se 1434118 11950ms 1980ms 9970ms (603.53%)
    PortMain 1226873 10550ms 1920ms 8630ms (549.47%)

My time to first byte was faster for dmm but then the content part was way faster through the cdn. Guess that's the price you pay for a proxy but your content lengths would have to get pretty low to make up the ~150ms difference there.

My only concern with this is the same concern I had with the English patch from about 2 years ago, at least using this from the la-foret.me domain. How many exit nodes does this go through? Devs get suspicious when a lot of people are using the same IP to connect to the game. And if they can't block you, they'll ban you.

Of course if you roll your own, there shouldnt be a problem cause it'll be your own server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzgalov
    it's only.. it's only game. Y U heff 2 B mad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm Edwards

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

@Laforet I can hardly thank you enough for this alternative! API links were becoming extremely obsolete and for people (like myself) who much prefer KCV, this is the most convenient thing ever!

speeds are also noticeably faster; if I cleared cache and logged in normally, it takes me a couple of minutes, but when logging in via ooi, it only takes about half a minute. I've yet to experience any errors or mishaps, apart from exiting/re-entering KCV, with ooi set as my start page. at that point, I'm forced to log in again, and I'm probably getting going through the same previous API key, barring me from entry. to fix this, a cache reset worked, but I'm sort of reluctant to download cached data (even if it is eons faster) over and over again! unless waiting for long periods of time (such as overnight) would fix that issue?

my other concern is as chronomeister wrote above. over time, I've seen cases reported here over himeuta of players being banned for doing allegedly doing nothing -- except for playing over a dormitory network used by hundreds of other students (some reported to also play kancolle), though I don't think they could ban accounts for simply existing by the tens or hundreds under one IP address. I can't be too sure on the cause of the ban, but the most probable reason I could think of was that one or a few of the players under that IP address were caught cheating/botting, so they banned all accounts under that one IP address. therefore my curiousity on the IP address question!

either way, I think I may still use this for now due to its amazing speeds!! thank you so much!

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Seems to be much faster than normal using this~

However, KC3 doesn't seem to be hooking, using the standard flash options. Am I doing something wrong?

edit: Nvm, got it to hook. Cheers~

IGN
    nicolas22g
    Server
    Hitokappu Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Great tool.For me he didn't seem to be faster but he work very well.
    No trouble to play, this tool must be great for dmm and KCV players.

However, for players who use KC3 kai with API links, somes KC3 kai features wi lldon't work (because they need API link). Too bad but still great work.

Rep
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

@S.Razelrink

Thanks for the kind words!

As for your login issues, I am not sure why is it happening since all cookies should expire upon exit. Which version of KCV are you on? To solve it I will need to reproduce this error myself.
    @nicolas22g

Did you mean the "Framed API" options? Well it won't work because it is hard-coded with an URL where it will attempt to extract your API link. I will ask DJ and see what can be done about this.

- - - Updated - - -
    @chronomeister @S.Razelrink

At the moment there is only one exit node out of my domain, scaling up is easy enough but this will add to the running costs for uncertain benefits.

I've been watching the ban situation for a while and I have summed up what we already know:

DMM

• Will not IP-ban anybody, however a number of Tor / VPNGate exit nodes are barred from logging in (Error B-001)
    • If many users were seen egressing from the same IP address they may be asked to reset their passwords as a precaution, however there is zero evidence that this may lead to a ban.
    • The only way for an average user to get banned is to owe them money, e.g. file a charge back on a previous CC payment and your account will be banned in no time.
    • A banned DMM account will no longer be associated with your email address - hence it would appear to have disappeared entirely.
    • It is usually possible to get unbanned by contacting support - they will ask you to pay the amount due by a direct bank deposit in Japan, as long as this can be done your account will be reinstated and you won't lose any data and/or purchases.

Kancolle

• IP-ban is active for IP ranges containing known spam/DDoS hosts. The actual extent of ban is specific for each game server. One can easily check for this by typing the IP address into any browser - if successful you should be able to see a single line of text. ICMP pings have been disabled earlier this year.
    • No authentication apart from the API token, hence it is possible to move on and off VPN connections and still play fine.
    • During events they may temporarily IP-ban high traffic hosts, however there is no evidence of repercussions for end users apart from a temporary inability to play.
    • Will ban users for botting. Detection is done via at least two hidden functions in the flash client, as well as heuristics, e.g. sending 200+ expeditions per day.
    • Recently a number of users have been hit with repeated catbombs, analysis of network traffic shows that the errors are actually sent deliberately by the game server. The cause is unknown but it is suspected to be a bot detection mechanism. In any case it usually subsides after 2-3 days.
    • Banned users will see "Account Suspended" notification when accessing this game.
    • Contacting support usually won't get you a reply. That said, they do reinstate some banned accounts once in a blue moon.
    • Kancolle ban does not affect the status of your DMM account.

I have never used commie's translation server and don't know what happened to it apart from the fact that the author rage-quit after his own account was banned. The details are murky, however it is very likely the result of a dodgy viewer than some other probable cause.

http://www.himeuta.net/f26-archives/ban-scare-discussion-519.html

Back then it was assumed, quite reasonably, that reusing API tokens may also be risky but it turned out to be fine. Thus I don't expect any problems with the way OOI works.

IGN
    S.Razelrink
    Server
    Paramushir Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

@Laforet I'm using KCV 3.8.1 (rev.9) at the moment, and after twelve hours, I'm still getting catbombs right after the 'game start' page after logging in! :'(

and that's reassuring to hear! I'm not too worried about a ban since I probably do much worse things that warrant a ban more so than simply logging in from your proxy with other people..

thanks to Lycanous for the not-so-existent yet still great signature! I'll get it back one day..

Rep
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

@S.Razelrink

I could not find 3.8.1r9 build you mentioned, I tried several builds of KCV, both old and new and they seem to work fine. Could you provided a few more details so I know where to look? Which server are you on?

Note that an expired API token will cause a catbomb *before* Game Start is pressed. If you get a catcomb after pressing Game Start then it is probably a connection issue.

Edit: It has just occured to me that I had very similar problems before using KCV and region cookies - I had to clear the cache several times for a day or two to get past a catbomb. Then it just went away completely normal. I have purged all the cache on the CDN just in case, perhaps try it again tomorrow after restarting your computer and it may have fixed itself.

Server
    Brunei
    Rep
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

This seems like an amazing tool - I use KCV (with region cookies - formerly API) on my home machine, but I used to save my API link to an online bookmarking service to be able to pull it up on any computer with an internet connection - saved me while travelling or at school. With the recent change to APIs, I'm stuck just playing at home.

I tried OOI just now through Chrome, and it worked flawlessly. However, when I closed the tab and switched back to KCV, I was asked to log back in, and immediately asked to reset my password.

I've had to reset my password occasionally in the past, but the timing seems pretty coincidental. Do you have any idea if it should be possible to switch back and forth between OOI and normal cookie-enabled KCV?