IGN
    soloblast
    Server
    Hashirajima
    Rep
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)

Re: GoGames Ripsoff Kantai Collection

Saw this a few days back, decided it wasn't worth my time to even look at it. Just glanced at their main site, and boy does it look dodgy as hell. It'll be dealt with sooner or later, whether it's a lawsuit or the game just running out of resources / funding.

@goesto11 AFAIK, that's not how these online game-things work; when you licence a game out to a (localised) publisher, the licence includes the rights to run events and everything else, especially since everything's being outsourced to that particular publisher. Of course, things are usually run on separate servers as well. So whether or not you get certain things is entire dependent on that (localised) publisher. But seeing as how events are more or less a core part of KanColle gameplay (for drops and whatnot), hypothetically speaking, it would be unlikely that they'd leave that content out.

This does, however, present an alternative problem - What do you do about all of the past events and stuff that have already occurred over the past 2-3 years? And all of the drops and stuff associated with said events? Even if you chose to re-run all of them, it would take you just as long to catch up with the "current" version of the Japanese game.

Also, you get what I like to term "localisation/translation lag", because it takes time to port things from the original version over into the localised version. In other words, you're unlikely to have events occurring concurrently between two separate versions of the game, unless both companies (the original publisher/developer and the localised publisher the game is being outsourced to) take the unprecedented step of co-operating to release stuff at the same time. The only place I've seen this happen is with Crunchyroll and anime, and even then sometimes they slip up.

In worst-case scenarios, you can get a half-assed publisher who turns the localised version of the game into a P2W shitfest; this happens in MMORPGs a lot. I don't know enough about Nutaku or how they're running Kanpani as of right now to saw, though. My very superficial impression is that they didn't change much other than providing translations for the Japanese text; you'd have to ask someone who's played / plays both versions for more information.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7708 Post(s)

@goesto11 They did ask, but they was denied the rights. They said as they wasn't trusted with it yet due to it being a new service.

Though honestly with how Nutaku does things I would say it's probably for the best, although seeing adverts hinting that KanColle is a sex game like how they advertise Kanpani Girls would be hilarious.

IGN
    Whatever I am Called
    Server
    Saltiest Server Ever
    Rep
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)

@KotoNano I wouldn't trust them. They say Bleach has a dream of being a Hokage on the other game they have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- MAL (Very unupdated!) - Married to Abukuma (19/10/2016) -

In lieu of GCT being Shutdown, please evacuate to the shelter please. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Link here

Newly Registered imported_Ru____'s Avatar
    IGN
    miwamina
    Server
    Hittokappu Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    @goesto11
    Though honestly with how Nutaku does things I would say it's probably for the best, although seeing adverts hinting that KanColle is a sex game like how they advertise Kanpani Girls would be hilarious.
    Social Media.. the trending neko bras plus other lewd images are spreading quite fast in the internet misleading those people whose mind is always in the gutter.
    Though the Taiha CG is quite lewd...

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/THsjMBx.png[/SIGPIC]

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    756 Post(s)

@soloblast: You raise some interesting questions. As you say, I'd have to think that events would be part of the licensing deal because events are a big deal for the game. That's not to say that the "normal" game is bad, but events add a lot to it - especially once you've cleared all the normal maps, etc. Then there's all the other stuff like event rewards, new ships, event only drops (really, drops in general). It'd be tough to do though - especially to have events running simultaneously for original and localized games. TL could be handled if there's cooperation with the localized licenser and KDKW during event construction/development, but that's a big if. Probably some "TL delay" regardless. Might be quite a delay worst case scenario. As for past events... my guess is that those won't be covered. Game would work the same as if someone started KanColle today. You missed them. Perhaps not ideal, but it would be so much work to try and keep up with the new stuff (including events) on top of trying to do old events. When would you hold them anyway if you're trying to do new events? And yes, it's very dependent upon execution quality. My impression is similar to yours regarding Nutaku - strictly a translation/localization effort here. Same game, just in a different language.

@KotoNano: Wait. So they asked for a license, were turned down, and then went ahead and did it anyway? O.o... That can't be good from a legal/copyright standpoint. That situation (new company with no track record) isn't unusual in any industry, but if you get turned down, you get turned down. As for Kanpani Girls, I know little about it. I think (could be wrong) the original is R-18 though there might be a censored "all ages" version as well. The Nutaku version is supposed to be a censored "all ages" version. That company is trying to branch out from just doing R-18 game localization.

Captain
    Rep
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)

@goesto11 Um... goesto? I... uh, think you (and YourAveragePlayer) are confusing Nutaku with GoGames.

Nutaku likely asked for a license. They were shot down, meaning Nutaku currently does not have a game called Kantai Collection, all ages or R18. Nutaku also does not have a Bleach game. We have yet to know whether or not GoGames ever asked for one as well, which is why I initially raised that possibility.

I would be very amused if Kanpani really had an R18 version. Maybe I'll check DMM again. I was pretty certain they did not, though, which is why it is amusing to read people asking Nutaku to get the devs behind Kanpani to release an R18 version.

As to your question, from my experiences with Kanpani, Osawari, and Hitsuji, they are indeed running events that have already passed on DMM. Naturally, this would mean that Nutaku would be behind DMM, which is as normal as pretty much any MMO localized from the Far East. Going by Kanpani, at least, the first event on the Nutaku version is actually the same event as the DMM one. Same with Osawari. Hitsuji, for some reason, had its first event (happening right now, btw) from an event relatively in the middle of all limited time events from DMM.

Actually, I have a question of my own. Let us suppose that GoGames did, indeed, steal the game. How exactly would Kadokawa sue? Appeal to the Japanese government? Appeal to the Japanese Court system? Appeal to the Chinese government/court system? Create a petition over at https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/? Appeal to the United Nations? Ask the aliens from the Andromeda to intervene?

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    756 Post(s)

@Fazel: Well, I very well could be confused. I took KotoNano's comment "They did ask, but they was denied the rights. They said as they wasn't trusted with it yet due to it being a new service" applying to GoGames. GoGames, not Nutaku, asked for the KanColle license and was turned down due to being an "unproven" company. I'm assuming that Nutaku licensed Kanpani Girls so why that game and not KanColle? Also adding to my confusion is your previous comment: "Mostly off topic, but Nutaku was asked about bringing Kancolle over to the West. Last I heard, they're still working on it, so... yeah." I guess they couldn't come to financial terms, but Nutaku seems good enough for Kanpani Girls (i.e. sufficiently "proven"). That conflicts to me with KotoNano's comment (which also would have Nutaku asking rather than being asked). It's not a big deal, just pointing out that to me some of the comments are confusing to me.

Appreciate the information about events (i.e. localized games incorporating past events). Probably the best way to do that as it's most complete and gives some extra time for TL to be done vs. trying to keep up. Re. Kanpani - like I posted, not familiar with the game at all, so my bad on thinking it was R-18 (Osawari R-18 though - right?).

As for what KDKW could do, there are international laws and agreements concerning patents/trademarks/copyrights. A lot depends upon the local nation in terms of enforcement, but at least theoretically, KDKW could sue GoGames for copyright infringement. If no license (which appears to be the case), this is an unabashed copy - including the very tittle. Didn't even bother with a "Warship Girls" or "Battleship Girls" or even plain 'ol "Ship-girls Wars" or something. LOL

IGN
    Apox
    Server
    Saiki Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Oh boy. It is been days since I saw this rip-off and all of my reaction can be summed up as...

Other than that, I think we should let KDKW know about this and let them take the best course of action they want to. They are the owner and creator of Kancolle after all, and they deserve to take whatever action they want to. Also I will say we'll boycott this ri-- hell, I can't even say it is a rip-off because the game is completely copied, other than a few changes, and best be stop talking about it and promoting it without purpose.

Steam Profile | 3DS FC: 5172-0663-3415
    Married with Yuudachi on 21/06/2015 (which is her birthday), footage here! ^^

IGN
    soloblast
    Server
    Hashirajima
    Rep
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    @goesto11 They did ask, but they was denied the rights. They said as they wasn't trusted with it yet due to it being a new service.

That does sound pretty depressing - the advertising, I mean. It basically means they're just appealing to the lowest common denominator to try and market the game, which is pretty stupid IMO. Games like this are always going to be targeted at a smaller, specific audience. More annoyingly, it makes all of the people who do play the game they're marketing seem like they're just in it for the lewds.

Also, like @Fazel said, he's talking about Nutaku, not this pseudo-ripoff online company, in the post above.

Re: All the Nutaku games, that seems like the most logical course of action; I mean, most of the players already on Japanese servers are probably just going to stick with their current accounts (sunk cost and all that), so you might as well start from scratch - your new players will be none the wiser, and the players on the Japanese servers might end up helping them (players on localised servers) with the events and stuff, since they've already been through those events.

That said, my biggest issue with this kind of localisation thing is when it ends up attempting to partition the internet into blocks of region-specific servers, usually in the form of IP blocks. You see this a lot in MMORPGs, since a lot of publishers like to snap up localisation deals in an attempt to make some money. It's even more problematic if you're someone like me, who shuttles between countries - actually, entire regions - a lot. One of the worst examples I can think of is Path of Exile, if you've ever heard of it. It got outsourced to Garena (local publisher-thing in SEA), and a bunch of veteran players got blocked out of the NA/EU servers because of the publishing deal. This was made worse by the fact that some of those players had actually been paying backers who kickstarted the game in the first place. Eventually they found a workaround, but a lot of people got pissed. (SEA publishers are generally jerks who turn MMOs into P2W; see also: PSO2.)

TL;DR - IP blocks are bad.

... But so is stealing stuff, and one of the problems of the internet, as this psuedo-KanColle game demonstrates, is that it's extraordinarily hard to enforce any rules. Not sure how Kadokawa / DMM are going to deal with this one, especially if their (GoGames') servers are in some grey area country where people don't really care about such legal issues. I know I said a lawsuit might be a thing in my previous post, but again, it depends. Anime/manga publishers seem to manage to use DMCA a lot; I'm not sure about the details, or if this happens through their American-localisation counterparts, but they do, as the "some results have been removed something-something DMCA" notices on Google searches will attest to. You'd have to ask a lawyer, I guess. (And doesn't the Japanese government have that whole copyright campaign going for them?) Hopefully the game(s) just die a slow, quiet death over time due to unpopularity.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7708 Post(s)

@goesto11 I was talking about Nutaku, who did tweet about trying to get rights for the english version a couple of times, this being the latest I think. https://twitter.com/nutakugames/stat...69692429713409
    They talked about it last April saying how they wanted to but was refused due to it being an 18+ site. Basically the same thing as with Kanpani girls where they had to split the site up like DMM is split.
    But Nutaku have been very hit and miss with translations and localization. Peropero is probably the most accurate to the DMM version, while Osawari got the most butchered. Aigis has some ups and downs where it's been both good and bad. I think someone mentioned Hitsuji got hit with a lot less 4* and 5* at launch than the DMM version too. Not to mention one of the card games has abysmal spell checking.
    There's nothing wrong at all with what Nutaku are doing and I do support them, just wish they wasn't so ham-fisted sometimes with changes.

Companies like Gogames come and go all the time, they do a knock-off game, make it as premium as possible and then eventually just shut everything down to save running costs once the money stops flowing and the people stop falling for the scam. Considering what happened last year this will probably all just have people laugh at it a bit and just let it quietly die. If they tried to actually push it they'd get shut down so hard by the fan base that they'd probably end up closing shop.